#21 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

I had to sub some chilis, and I added an extra union, but another solid batch.  

#22 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

I’m in the middle of another batch of this. It’s getting to be that time of year! I have a hodgepodge of different dried chilis. For the meat, I found country style beef ribs at Aldi for $4.89 a pound. I’m making a double batch. It smells really good in the house right now!

#23 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43051 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

Sounds good.. btw wtf are “country style beef ribs”? Never heard of it before.(I know “Country style ribs” are generally made of pork butt)

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

Sounds good.. btw wtf are “country style beef ribs”? Never heard of it before.(I know “Country style ribs” are generally made of pork butt)

same deal but from a cow, sliced chuck or plate

#25 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43051 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

Hmm I need to make this chili, or bouf Borgenone

#26 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:47 AM

I never heard of them either. I asked a butcher and he told me they are the meat from the ribs up above the short ribs towards the spine. It worked out really well. I melted a couple of small 85% dark chocolate bars into this as well as a few oz of agave syrup. This batch wasn’t as bitter from the peppers as some previous ones. After I toasted the chilies, I brought them almost to a simmer in the soaking water and then covered them off the heat for about an hour. So longer than in the recipe. I made sure to drain them really well. I wonder if in previous batches I accidentally brought over a bit of the bitter soaking water. In any case, this on came out great. I strayed a bit from the actual list of peppers based on what I had on hand. There were 7-8 varieties tho

#27 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 31 October 2021 - 09:47 AM

I’m about to knock out another batch of this. Man, I made a horribly formatted OP lol

Not how I would usually write out a recipe, maybe I’ll fix that someday

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 November 2021 - 02:36 PM

for whatever reason chili gives me pretty much immediate heartburn.  it's not the heat b/c I eat hotter stuff than this regularly.  it's too bad b/c I really like the taste.

Edited by Mando, 02 November 2021 - 02:36 PM.

#29 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13014 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 02 November 2021 - 05:29 PM

for whatever reason chili gives me pretty much immediate heartburn. it's not the heat b/c I eat hotter stuff than this regularly. it's too bad b/c I really like the taste.

Pepperoni pizza will often do that to me.

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:48 AM

some does, cheaper seems to do it, little caeser's is the worst

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 November 2021 - 01:27 PM

yeah, I think I'm still okay with pepperoni pizza.  I've had meat lovers recently and I was fine.

I'm not sure what is up with chili.  I even use pretty good quality beef for this.  beans don't seem to be a factor b/c with or without it happens.

#32 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:24 AM

Time for another batch!

#33 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43051 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:35 PM

Seven-chile chiliIngredients:6 anchos2 pasilla2 costeñas2 guajillos4 chiles de arbol2 chipotles in adobo4 pieces of bacon4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes1 large onion diced6 cloves of garlic, crushed1 bottle of beer3 cups of water1/2 tsp cinnamon1/2 tsp clove1/2 tsp allspice1 tsp coriander1/2 tsp cayenne1 tablespoon cumin(For all spices, please feel free to add more to taste throughout cooking if you like.)2 chipotles in adoboSalt to taste1/4 cup masa harinaMethod:Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3) tablespoons. In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will probably have to cook these in two batches.Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, the beer, three cups of water, bacon crumbles and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).After five hours, scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. When done, serve with cheddar, onions and tortillas.Note: If you can't find all of these chiles, I would just use the more readily available anchos and chipotles. I'd use 6-8 anchos, following the same soaking and pureeing method, and two chipotles.

I wish you’d fix the format for this recipe… my head hurts when I try to read it… it’s a massive run on sentence :P

#34 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43051 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:10 PM

Too late… idle hands at work 

TexRed1’s Chili

Ingredients

:6 anchos

2 pasilla

2 costeñas

2 guajillos

4 chiles de arbol

2 chipotles in adobo sauce

4 pieces of bacon 

4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes

1 large onion diced

6 cloves of garlic, crushed

1 bottle of beer

3 cups of water

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp clove

1/2 tsp allspice

1 tsp coriander

1/2 tsp cayenne

1 tablespoon cumin(For all spices, (please feel free to add more to taste throughout cooking if you like.)

Salt to taste

1/4 cup masa harina

Directions-

Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. (Remove as many seeds from the chilies as possible before you heat them up)

Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.

Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3) tablespoons. In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. (You will probably have to cook these in two batches) 

Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, the beer, three cups of water, bacon crumbles and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).After five hours, scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. When done, serve with cheddar, onions and tortillas.

Note: If you can't find all of these chiles, I would just use the more readily available anchos and chipotles. I'd use 6-8 anchos, following the same soaking and pureeing method, and two chipotles.

#35 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49856 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:07 PM

Nice!

This batch is somewhat varied from the OG. I used the peppers I had and the spice blend was more improvised. But helluva chili. Absolutely fantastic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users