#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Seven-chile chiliIngredients:6 anchos2 pasilla2 costeñas2 guajillos4 chiles de arbol2 chipotles in adobo4 pieces of bacon4 pounds of chuck roast, cut into 1/4 inch cubes1 large onion diced6 cloves of garlic, crushed1 bottle of beer3 cups of water1/2 tsp cinnamon1/2 tsp clove1/2 tsp allspice1 tsp coriander1/2 tsp cayenne1 tablespoon cumin(For all spices, please feel free to add more to taste throughout cooking if you like.)2 chipotles in adoboSalt to taste1/4 cup masa harinaMethod:Heat the dried chiles (anchos, pasillas, costenos, guajillos and chiles de arbol) in a dry, cast-iron skillet on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and then add enough water to the skillet to cover the chiles, and let them soak for half an hour.Meanwhile, in a large heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven, fry up your bacon. When done, remove from pan and crumble and leave the bacon grease in the pot (it should be about 3) tablespoons. In the pot, cook your beef in the bacon grease on medium heat, a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. You will probably have to cook these in two batches.Remove the browned beef from the pot, and add your onions. Cook on medium until clear. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Put the beef back in the pot, the beer, three cups of water, bacon crumbles and the dry spices. Turn the heat up to high.Your soaking chiles should be soft by now. Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water. Puree until nice and smooth and then add the chile puree to the chili pot.When chili begins to boil, turn heat down to low and let simmer for five hours, stirring occasionally. Taste it once an hour, and if the flavors are too muted, feel free to add more of any of the spices. Also, it starts to get too dry, add more liquid (your choice!).After five hours, scoop out 1 cup of broth and add the masa harina. Mix it well and then reincorporate it back into the pot. Stir until chili is thickened.Let the chili simmer for another half hour or so. When done, serve with cheddar, onions and tortillas.Note: If you can't find all of these chiles, I would just use the more readily available anchos and chipotles. I'd use 6-8 anchos, following the same soaking and pureeing method, and two chipotles.

#2 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

"Drain them and discard the soaking water (it will be bitter) and place them in a blender along with the canned chipotle chiles and one cup of fresh water."canned chipotle chilis are missing from the ingredient list.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

Fixed! Thanks!

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

I prepped this all tonight, planning on crockpotting it tomorrow all day. I couldn't find all those chiles, so I used what I could find, plus some fresh ones that I roasted. I used Alaskan Smoked Porter as the beer. I also had to drain a lot of fat from the dutch oven, as my chuck roast was really well marbled. I'm using this modified recipe in a chili competition at work on Friday.

After you crockpot it, you may have some more fat, but just use that as the part that you take out to mix with the masa, it will soak it up and make more of a roux. BTW, I bet you win the comp!

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

A couple of stupid questions. For the coriander and cloves, do you grid those down or leave whole and for the Pasilla is it the Negro or the Oaxaca or does it not matter.

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

If you have the spices whole, toast them and then grind them. As for the pasillas, the ones that I use are simply labeled passila. I would say either one would work just fine, even better probably if you blend them,

#7 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19179 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

My grocer sell chuck roast in 3 pound chunks, so I made this with a mixture of 3 lbs of chuck roast and 1 lb of short ribs.Next time it will be 100% short ribs, trimmed off the bone and trimmed of the big pieces of fat. The short rib meat was really, really good!

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

My grocer sell chuck roast in 3 pound chunks, so I made this with a mixture of 3 lbs of chuck roast and 1 lb of short ribs.Next time it will be 100% short ribs, trimmed off the bone and trimmed of the big pieces of fat. The short rib meat was really, really good!

Funny that you say that, I have been putting the pieces together to make shorties with this as the braise.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Eating this right now and it is excellent. I did add a touch of smoked paprika and chipotle powder. I also added some new Mexico Chilies and Mulato Chiles because I had them and could not find any costeñas.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

After you crockpot it, you may have some more fat, but just use that as the part that you take out to mix with the masa, it will soak it up and make more of a roux.BTW, I bet you win the comp!

I like that idea!

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

It works well. I hate the skim off all that delicious fat, might as well use it!

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

texred1's chili verde is awesome as well - i def recommend it. i'm tempted to give this a try.

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I haven't tried teh Verde but I am making teh Rojo right now!

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

So I changed a few things around this time, and I think for the better, at least for me. I added a couple pieces of dark chocolate to add some more depth and had to sub "pumpkin pie spice" for the cinnamon, clove, and allspice because my sister in law moved out and took some spices. No big deal there. I have found this recipe to be a bit bitter for my taste so I added in some agave syrup to taste. I also subbed shoulder and short rib for the meat. I also subbed chicken stock for water and had to play around with the types and amounts of dried chilis. I can' find costenas anywhere, so I subbed New Mexicos and Californias and played around with the other amounts. Bottom line, this is an awesome recipe and you should have fun tweaking it. I love this chili!

#15 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Wow, I gotta try this.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

where do you get masa harina?

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I prepped this all tonight, planning on crockpotting it tomorrow all day. I couldn't find all those chiles, so I used what I could find, plus some fresh ones that I roasted. I used Alaskan Smoked Porter as the beer. I also had to drain a lot of fat from the dutch oven, as my chuck roast was really well marbled. I'm using this modified recipe in a chili competition at work on Friday.

How did you adapt this for the crockpot? Just did all the pre-cooking of things, then let the crockpot do the long simmer?

#18 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Made a full batch of this last night to take to work today. The only thing I changed was that I split the meat 50/50. 2 pounds of beef and 2 pounds pork. Other than that I followed it to the letter.I barely have a single bowl left. Kudos, dude. This stuff is awesome.

#19 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23545 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I am SO gonna make this for the cold weather!!!!! Thanks for posting!!!

#20 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Bout to make another batch of this stuff.   Heading out to get my chiles now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users