27 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

I made this beer today (Thurs 10/13) and it's a tribute to New Glarus' "Two Women". It's supposed to be a nod to the woman who runs New Glarus and the woman than runs Weyermann. The NG website says that it's made with Weyermann malt and Hallertau Mittelfruh hops. Here's a shot of it...
Posted Image

When I first tried it, I thought of Wyeast 2308 right away. It's malty, neutral and very delicious. I put the recipe together and I think I nailed the color.

Zwei Frauen Country Lager

4.5 lbs Best Malz Pilsner
4.5 lbs Weyermann "dark" Munich 10L
4 oz Belgian CaraMunich II
4 oz Belgian Special B
4 oz Belgian Aromatic
½ oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.7% FWH
1.1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.7% for 60
Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager yeast

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.014, IBU: 28, SRM: 10, ABV: 5.0%

I mashed at 152° for 90 minutes and used 50% RO water and 50% filtered tap with 4g of CaCl and a pinch of gypsum in the mash. Freetranslation.com tells me that "Zwei Frauen" means "Two Women" in German. Looking forward to it and I also have 4 bottles of it in reserve (it's not available outside of WI) so I can compare. Cheers!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

I racked this beer to secondary today and this 2308 is a boss. The beer smelled sooo good and the yeast really flocced too. The beer was a reddish-amber and crystal clear coming from the primary. I saved some and I'm making THIS beer as I type. Cheers.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

sounds great ken. it's almost lager time up in here. just a few more weeks!

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

What surprised me was that the 2308 flocced so well and the beer was so clear that I expected the yeast to be stuck like a pancake on the bottom of the fermenter but I just swirled it lightly and it all came up and easily transferred to a sanitized flask for the next beer. I know you used this yeast for awhile and liked it and it's been awhile for me. You know, I'm going to pick up a new fridge because I'm making a slight modification to my brewery. It's a 4.4cf Danby and only $120 (white). You could look for something like this and make lager season any season! I'm taking my serving fridge (full-sized) and making it my lager/on-deck fridge which will hold cold kegs and secondaries (lagers, primarily). Then I'm taking my current on-deck fridge (another 4.4cf Danby) and this new one and making those my serving fridges... each with 2 kegs and 1 Co2 tank. Then I have a small Black & Decker ($115, Sam's Club) that's 4.3cf and that's my lager primary fridge. Then I'm done with cold storage mods. ;)

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

What surprised me was that the 2308 flocced so well and the beer was so clear that I expected the yeast to be stuck like a pancake on the bottom of the fermenter but I just swirled it lightly and it all came up and easily transferred to a sanitized flask for the next beer. I know you used this yeast for awhile and liked it and it's been awhile for me. You know, I'm going to pick up a new fridge because I'm making a slight modification to my brewery. It's a 4.4cf Danby and only $120 (white). You could look for something like this and make lager season any season! I'm taking my serving fridge (full-sized) and making it my lager/on-deck fridge which will hold cold kegs and secondaries (lagers, primarily). Then I'm taking my current on-deck fridge (another 4.4cf Danby) and this new one and making those my serving fridges... each with 2 kegs and 1 Co2 tank. Then I have a small Black & Decker ($115, Sam's Club) that's 4.3cf and that's my lager primary fridge. Then I'm done with cold storage mods. ;)

it's a very nice yeast for sure. I'm keeping my eyes open for fermentation chamber options...

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

FYI: I just tapped my first glass of this beer from the keg (notice it's 5:00ish :)) and this beer came out really yummy. I have 4 bottles of Two Women (from New Glarus) left and I plan to do a side-by-side sometime this weekend. Attention ChadM... I know you asked about this recipe in another thread... it's great. The color, the aroma, the head stability and the flavor are awesome. I actually said out loud after my first sip... I hit it outta the park on this beer! Cheers Beerheads!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

This beer has been on tap here now for a couple of weeks and it's dynamite. Crystal clear, well-balanced and very enjoyable. Before the keg runs dry, I need to do my side-by-side comparison to the real Two Women lager I have in the bar fridge. This may end up in my regular rotation because it came out very nicely. Cheers Beerheads.

Posted Image

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Nice looking pint. Good job.I have a malty german lager in secondary now. Hope it's as good as that one looks.

#9 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Ken - just found this thread! Holy smokes....great looking beverage! Cheers man! I love Two Women....and the beer too! :smilielol:

#10 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

So Ken - I'm taking a run at my first lager this weekend and I'm going to make this my first batch! The only thing I'll need to sub for is the CaraMunich II...I'll sub with C60. Wish me luck! Cheers!

#11 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

So... Ken... What do we have to do to get you to enter some competitions under the Brews-Bros banner?

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

So Ken - I'm taking a run at my first lager this weekend and I'm going to make this my first batch!

The only thing I'll need to sub for is the CaraMunich II...I'll sub with C60. Wish me luck!

Cheers!

Chad: That was a great beer. Good luck with it. You're talking about 4 ounces of CMII so C60 is just fine, IMO. I have another 2308 beer on tap right now that came out equally nice. Cheers!

So... Ken... What do we have to do to get you to enter some competitions under the Brews-Bros banner?

Ugh. I typically don't have anything in bottles and I hate shipping things. What makes you think that *I* would win a competition? :scratch:

Edited by KenLenard, 26 April 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#13 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ugh. I typically don't have anything in bottles and I hate shipping things. What makes you think that *I* would win a competition? :scratch:

I've tried some of your recipes and they turned out good, but I'm not as refined in my technique as you. So if mine turned out good, I'm betting yours will be much better.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

Up early and making this beer again today. Mash started at 6:30 central and mash temp and pH look good. The 2308 has been sitting at the bottom of a primary of another lager (similar to my Chicago Lager) which will be sent to secondary today. Cheers Beerheads.

#15 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

I think my keg of this blew than anything I've ever made. Ken - you're right, it came out of the primary clear as day and lagered for a month. What a fantastic beer! Smooth, malty, and easy-drinking. I too am thinking about adding this to my rotation but want to give your Chicago Lager a try as well. That yeast kicks ass. Flocs wonderfully! I'm going to use it for my Marzen too....cheers all!

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Ken, what do you ferment this at?

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

That yeast kicks ass. Flocs wonderfully! I'm going to use it for my Marzen too....cheers all!

This yeast is the boss. I have these two recipes but not much else to make with the 2308 outside of my Oktoberfest recipe which I typically make with 2124. I want to make at least one more beer with it but then I need to move on because I have 3 or 4 other lager strains asking me to make beer with them. ;)

I use a small fridge which is set to 47°. If you believe that a churning primary can be as warm as 5° warmer than ambient, that would put it at 52°.

For the record, the previous beer sat in primary for about 19 days. A week of that may have been resting on the basement floor (d-rest and also to allow the yeast to fall). That beer has a lower SRM than this beer does... it's about 6 or 7. That beer was so freaking clear coming out of the primary, I couldn't believe my eyes. And I racked it on top of a gel solution too! After a few days of further clearing, that beer will go to the fridge to lager and eventually be sent to a keg. Cheers guys.

#18 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Not that you asked me but for whatever reason my 2308 didn't take off until I hit the 52 degree mark. I had it down to 48 degrees and I wasn't seeing any activity. So I bumped it up a few degrees and it took off! I've got a Czech Pils I made with 2001 and it's cranking along nicely at 47. Go figure!

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Not that you asked me but for whatever reason my 2308 didn't take off until I hit the 52 degree mark. I had it down to 48 degrees and I wasn't seeing any activity. So I bumped it up a few degrees and it took off! I've got a Czech Pils I made with 2001 and it's cranking along nicely at 47. Go figure!

Are you for serious? I also have 2001 fermenting some stuff for me at the moment. Great minds, my friend. If you tell me that you have 940, 860 (a platinum Helles strain) and a secret blob of Augustiner yeast from Munich waiting to be used, I'll get goosebumps. :D Cheers.

#20 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Are you for serious? I also have 2001 fermenting some stuff for me at the moment. Great minds, my friend. If you tell me that you have 940, 860 (a platinum Helles strain) and a secret blob of Augustiner yeast from Munich waiting to be used, I'll get goosebumps. :D Cheers.

Ha! No....I've got 1272, 1968, 2001, and 2308 either working for me now or on the verge of being put to work. What in hell is Augustiner yeast?! :scratch:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users