#1 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have a basic recipe for a winter warmer (similar to a scotch ale) and I need advice on water. My water is chlorinated, so I end up buying water from Lowes in 5 gallon jugs. It says Spring Water, which I imagine has minerals. Should I do anything to this water, such as add water crystals, and will doing so benefit the beer style at all? Thanks.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

Don't you live in Rochester? I use my water right off the tap no problem for any style. I know some folks at Rohrbach's and I will double check to see if they adjust their water, but I am pretty sure they use it straight up. If anything, they just filter it. Our water is pretty good for brewing just about anything.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:47 AM

get some campden tablets to remove the chlorine if you are worried about that.

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:32 AM

I would use a carbon filter to get rid of the chlorine and use your own water. Walmart sells one for RVs that goes in-line on your hose that works well. I used one for years that worked great before I built my brew stand and put a whole-house filter on it. You can call your water supplier and get the mineral content and all the data about the water that we care about. From there you can decide what to do. Note, it they use chloramines instead of chlorine, you will have to use the campden tablets. Carbon filter wont take that out. To your original question, I would just go with the Lowes water as is. Sure they have minerals in there, but I wouldnt think it is enough to really skew things all that far. I wouldn't, in general, worry about water unless you have water that is really off in a particular direction or you are having a problem with a beer and all other factors are right. To me, tinkering with water (other than in the case of "bad" water as mentioned above) is the kind of thing that a VERY small percentage of people would ever know the difference in the final product.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

I would use a carbon filter to get rid of the chlorine and use your own water. Walmart sells one for RVs that goes in-line on your hose that works well. I used one for years that worked great before I built my brew stand and put a whole-house filter on it. You can call your water supplier and get the mineral content and all the data about the water that we care about. From there you can decide what to do. Note, it they use chloramines instead of chlorine, you will have to use the campden tablets. Carbon filter wont take that out. To your original question, I would just go with the Lowes water as is. Sure they have minerals in there, but I wouldnt think it is enough to really skew things all that far. I wouldn't, in general, worry about water unless you have water that is really off in a particular direction or you are having a problem with a beer and all other factors are right. To me, tinkering with water (other than in the case of "bad" water as mentioned above) is the kind of thing that a VERY small percentage of people would ever know the difference in the final product.

I don't see why you wouldn't use campden tablets to begin with - they are super easy to use and are more effective at removing chlorine and chloramines than most filters people are going to be using. As for adjusting water - I'm a believer. I had beers go from seeming kind of dull to seeming nice and bright. I think it also helps with efficiency a little bit.

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I don't see why you wouldn't use campden tablets to begin with - they are super easy to use and are more effective at removing chlorine and chloramines than most filters people are going to be using. As for adjusting water - I'm a believer. I had beers go from seeming kind of dull to seeming nice and bright. I think it also helps with efficiency a little bit.

Well, in full disclosure, I live in an area with dang near Pilsen soft water and a municipal water system that does a good job of not over-chlorinating. I have a friend that doesnt even filter at all and I have never detected chlorophenols in his beer. So, a lot of the reason I dont get worked up about water chemistry is that I have good water from the tap.

#7 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

I do both. The carbon filter will remove other undesirables too.

#8 thool

thool

Comptroller of Great Pendulous Videos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

The only luck I've had so far with beer that tastes consistently good is the bottled water from Lowes. Sounds like modifying it with any minerals isn't going to do any good, so I'll just use it as-is. Thanks.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

The only luck I've had so far with beer that tastes consistently good is the bottled water from Lowes. Sounds like modifying it with any minerals isn't going to do any good, so I'll just use it as-is. Thanks.

what makes you say that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users