#1 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Brewing this right now, going for a Bitter using the hop variety Galaxy from Australia. If you haven't had this hop yet it is quite amazing, very fruity with passion fruit being foremost. I mashed at 155 to avoid going to dry on the FG.Batch Size: 5.00 gal Brewer: Chris Cavanaugh Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer: Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal) Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Taste Notes: Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 6.50 lb CMC Superior Pale Ale (3.0 SRM) Grain 92.86 % 0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 % 0.50 oz Galaxy [12.80 %] (60 min) Hops 25.7 IBU 1.00 oz Galaxy [12.80 %] (10 min) Hops 18.6 IBU 1.00 oz Galaxy [12.80 %] (0 min) Hops - 4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc 7.00 gal Boston, MA Water 1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.038 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.30 % Bitterness: 44.3 IBU Est Color: 6.2 SRM

#2 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hit my intended OG of 1.038, this should be ready to drink quickly which was the goal. :blush:

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

Brewing this right now, going for a Bitter using the hop variety Galaxy from Australia. If you haven't had this hop yet it is quite amazing, very fruity with passion fruit being foremost. I mashed at 155 to avoid going to dry on the FG.

How does the Galaxy compare to Citra with the passion fruit flavor? This does look good,english yeast should finish quick and clean,155 should give the more maltier taste too.

#4 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

How does the Galaxy compare to Citra with the passion fruit flavor? This does look good,english yeast should finish quick and clean,155 should give the more maltier taste too.

I haven't used Citra as a single hop so hard to say. Galaxy comes across as a hop blend more than a single hop, it's passion fruit is mixed with citrus notes. Here is some info on galaxy including the oil breakdown. https://www.hops.com...ies/galaxy.html ETA Citra Oil breakdown here: https://www.yeastban...q/First2010.pdf

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

I have a pound of Galaxy in the freezer, sounds like I need to get out there and brew something with it.

#6 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

I took a whiff of Galaxy hops at Rebel Brewer when I was there and it was intense grapefruit. Should be a nice bitter with lots of American C hop qualities. I have 10 oz of Nelson Sauvin that I look forward to using.

#7 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

I took a whiff of Galaxy hops at Rebel Brewer when I was there and it was intense grapefruit. Should be a nice bitter with lots of American C hop qualities. I have 10 oz of Nelson Sauvin that I look forward to using.

I've had good luck with Galaxy, a bit more piney and rough (think woody chinook) than Citra. Rebel Brewer, eh? I just burned through a pound of Apollo from them in a DRIPA (in addition to a bunch more hops).

#8 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Put this on draft tonight, and it is very nice. :smilielol:

#9 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

Put this on draft tonight, and it is very nice. :)

Make sure you save me a pint. I want to taste this one!

#10 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Make sure you save me a pint. I want to taste this one!

Maybe next weekend, have any plans?

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:46 AM

Maybe next weekend, have any plans?

Not that I know of.

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16490 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

One of our homebrewers has brewed his Galaxy IpA at a local Brewpub. It has been served at The Great Taste, the pub, and various other tap handles around town. Nice beer. I decided to take it a step further and went this route...1.060/82IBU'sFWH Galaxy60 Gr. Magnum30 Gr. Magnum20 Galaxy15 Galaxy10 GalaxyHop Rocket CitraOh so yummy!

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

I realize now that I never commented on Cavman's beer. This one was spectacular. One of the best beers I've had in '11, and that's a large and competitive collection of beers.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

My Mosaic Sunshine PA will be gone after our upcoming social weekend and I desperately need to try Galaxy for the first time. Therefor, I made this today... with only minor changes. Needing something to hit the taps quickly and wanted to go lower on the gravity. Props to Cavman for this one.

6 gallons

OG 1.042 (scaled the recipe for 1.038 but came out inexplicably high)

IBU 40

SRM 6

93% Rahr Pale Ale

7% Baird's Carastan (33-37L)

Mashed at 155F for 3.5 hrs.

15g Apollo @ 60min to 40 IBU

68g Galaxy in 165F whirlpool steep for 30 min.

WLP 002 

Mash pH was 5.34, Ca-50, Na-8, SO4-92, Cl-23

No idea why my gravity came out as high as it did. Beersmith tells me I got 85% into the kettle. I didn't know that was possible. I have been getting 78-79% into the kettle lately since I have been doing 90-120min mashes. This one went for about 3.5 hrs so I dunno what's up. Seems like everything should be converted long before 2 hrs let alone 3.5. Maybe a function of the lower gravity?

Edited by ettels4, 14 August 2014 - 09:06 PM.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Mine finished at 1.012 so 3.8% ABV. Big flavor, low abv., not thin and bodiless, a total winner and exactly what I needed right now. First go around with Galaxy and it is wonderful. This hop can stand alone no problem. I highly recommend this great and simple recipe from cavman.

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

Mine finished at 1.012 so 3.8% ABV. Big flavor, low abv., not thin and bodiless, a total winner and exactly what I needed right now. First go around with Galaxy and it is wonderful. This hop can stand alone no problem. I highly recommend this great and simple recipe from cavman.

This was probably the beer that made me appreciate how great a hop Galaxy is. I might even like it better on it's own. This is probably a great recipe for highlighting any of these hops that have enough character to stand on their own, like Mosaic or Nelson or, for a British version, Brambling Cross.

These Americanized (or perhaps Kiwi-ized) Bitters are one of Cavman's area's of expertise. Such a simple looking recipe, but so near perfect. He does some other styles particularly well, like IPAs and Saisons, but this style is also close to my taste. 

One point on the original recipe is that, in addition to the Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt, I think Cav used Canada Malting C40, which has a different flavor than Carastan, I feel. This is a recipe worth making more than once, so you might want to try it with the original malts, sometime.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

This was probably the beer that made me appreciate how great a hop Galaxy is. I might even like it better on it's own. This is probably a great recipe for highlighting any of these hops that have enough character to stand on their own, like Mosaic or Nelson or, for a British version, Brambling Cross.

To me, Galaxy seems to have so many complementary layers of flavors but none overwhelming the others. I know you are a fan of Brambling Cross. I have some on hand I have been wanting to use it in a pale/bitter. If you were to use it in this same recipe how would you use it? I used 68g of Galaxy in the whirlpool but my understanding is that Brambling has a much more subtle flavor that takes a higher dosage to come through. Is that your experience? You find it stands well on its own?

These Americanized (or perhaps Kiwi-ized) Bitters are one of Cavman's area's of expertise. Such a simple looking recipe, but so near perfect. He does some other styles particularly well, like IPAs and Saisons, but this style is also close to my taste. 

I said it before but, yeah, so much going on for just a 3.8% beer.

One point on the original recipe is that, in addition to the Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt, I think Cav used Canada Malting C40, which has a different flavor than Carastan, I feel. This is a recipe worth making more than once, so you might want to try it with the original malts, sometime.

For sure… I'll keep that in mind. I can get CMC Pale Ale Malt quite easily but I have never seen CMC C40 at any of my regular haunts. May have to dig around a bit. What would you say is the difference in flavor one might expect between those two crystal/caramel malts? 

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

To me, Galaxy seems to have so many complementary layers of flavors but none overwhelming the others. I know you are a fan of Brambling Cross. I have some on hand I have been wanting to use it in a pale/bitter. If you were to use it in this same recipe how would you use it? I used 68g of Galaxy in the whirlpool but my understanding is that Brambling has a much more subtle flavor that takes a higher dosage to come through. Is that your experience? You find it stands well on its own?

I said it before but, yeah, so much going on for just a 3.8% beer.

For sure… I'll keep that in mind. I can get CMC Pale Ale Malt quite easily but I have never seen CMC C40 at any of my regular haunts. May have to dig around a bit. What would you say is the difference in flavor one might expect between those two crystal/caramel malts? 

68 g would be about 2.4 oz. That seems plenty for a whirlpool addition. I've never used it with just a whirlpool addition, but 2 1/2 oz would be about what I would normally use, split between a flavor and whirlpool addition.  The flavor is a bit subtle, but it works well with WLP002, which might accentuate the fruitier notes of the hop.

I can't say that there is a particular flavor that stands out as a difference between any of the malts (maybe the American malt has a bit more mild caramel flavor), it's just that Cav's beer was such a hit-out-of-the-park that it would be worth duplicating, when you get the chance. It's not such a huge difference that I would go out of my way to get difficult malts. Using Carastan just makes it more like one of my recipes, which I clearly like but don't taste like Cav's.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

what was the mash temp?  with so little grain and crystal how was body maintained?

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

what was the mash temp? with so little grain and crystal how was body maintained?

155F Residual dextrins/ sugar by higher mash temp and lower attenuating yeast.

Edited by ettels4, 31 August 2014 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users