64 replies to this topic

#21 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

I don't understand why this is a problem, i order wine by the case from around the country and it always comes fedex or ups. and brewbasser why is it illegal?

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

I don't understand why this is a problem, i order wine by the case from around the country and it always comes fedex or ups. and brewbasser why is it illegal?

My guess would be that those places are licensed in some manner to do interstate shipping of alcohol. But that's only half of the equation... we are talking about sending a full keg of beer. Not a 6er of beer or a case of wine... a keg. Ostensibly, bottles of beer and wine can be sealed up more securely than a keg. If it can be done... safely (i.e. the product arrives in as good condtion as when it left) and legally (???) and in a cost effective manner ($35 actually seems pretty good), then we may see more of this I expect. I just wouldn't want to be the test case in any event.

#23 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

https://www.ups.com/..._service_us.pdfPage 9 of the pdf, section H./thread

#24 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

https://www.ups.com/..._service_us.pdfPage 9 of the pdf, section H./thread

Yup, looks kosher to me. Ship it!

#25 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

try greyhound

TRY GREYHOUND! I shipped 4 empty cornies from home to here for $13. If I was shipping a full one, I wouldn't deal with UPS or FedX I would put it on a bus in a box floated in packing foam. They never ask what is in the box, don't ask don't tell - like the military :sarcasm:

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

No kidding, greyhound?

#27 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

Yup, looks kosher to me. Ship it!

Interesting assessment of the provision J. How exactly do wek know that the OP is "licensed and authorized under applicable law"? UPS is looking for something more than "I'm a homebrewer and therefor I'm licensed and authorized". I don't think it quite works that way. I review contracts all day long... been doing it for 9 years now. I'm trained to throw up "red flags" and this one is actually a major one in my book. Here is the language that causes me angst over this issue:Packages containing alcoholic beverages (wine, beer, or spirits) are acceptedfor transportation only as a contractual service and only from shippers who arelicensed and authorized under applicable laws to ship alcoholic beverages.With that being said, I would be more comfortable getting away with sending a 6er via UPS... generally harmless right? But we are talking about multiple gallons of the stuff and things could "go wrong". I'm just saying...I do like the Greyhound option for a keg. I know that earthtone is from Canada, but I can't imagine it would be that different. Also... Massachusets to Chicago... there'd probably be a direct Amtrack train. That's another option for a full keg.

#28 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

I also like the idea of Greyhound because it would probabaly be less expensive. However, they won't deliver to your friend's home or business. He will have to go to the depot pick up the package. Also, you would have to lie about the package contents to Greyhound as well, because they will not ship alcoholic beverages.https://www.shipgreyhound.com/terms/

#29 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28534 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

FYI in 2005 I shipped two full cornies back to MI fully carbed and pressurized ahead of my arrival. I made sure I knew they were kegs that hadn't given me issues in the past. I double bagged them with heavy duty bags incase I had a leak to keep it contained but there was no issue. I believe they went fedex (UPS if not).What was more entertaining was the airport workers look on the return when I checked my duffel bag in with two empty cornies. :sarcasm:

#30 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

I also like the idea of Greyhound because it would probabaly be less expensive. However, they won't deliver to your friend's home or business. He will have to go to the depot pick up the package. Also, you would have to lie about the package contents to Greyhound as well, because they will not ship alcoholic beverages.https://www.shipgreyhound.com/terms/

Apparently they don't consider wine an alcoholic beverage since that is a separte line item!Still starting to smell like the best bet would be a road trip.

#31 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

What was more entertaining was the airport workers look on the return when I checked my duffel bag in with two empty cornies. :sarcasm:

:wub: Thats awesome.

#32 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

If it can be done... safely (i.e. the product arrives in as good condtion as when it left) and legally (???) and in a cost effective manner ($35 actually seems pretty good), then we may see more of this I expect. I just wouldn't want to be the test case in any event.

It cost me $34.74 and it will arrive on friday- that is my "soda syrup" I marked top on the box, with some up arrows and sent her on her way. I'll keep you posted once it lands. Now I pateintly wait next to the door for my draft tower!

#33 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

...it will arrive on friday...

{anxiously awaits to hear the condition of the keg upon arrival}You'd better believe we will be checking in on Friday!

#34 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

It cost me $34.74 and it will arrive on friday- that is my "soda syrup" I marked top on the box, with some up arrows and sent her on her way. I'll keep you posted once it lands. Now I pateintly wait next to the door for my draft tower!

nice went with the soda syrup...like I said before Root beer is the way to go...people make it...and its non alcoholic...i am going to send my dad some bottles for fathers day and tell USPS that it's homemade root beer...i mean the only way they can tell is if they open up the bottles and take a swig then.

#35 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

Apparently they don't consider wine an alcoholic beverage since that is a separte line item!Still starting to smell like the best bet would be a road trip.

yeah, they've never asked me for contents before. I sent a bunch of bottles via greyhound this past christmas - they just slap a phone number on the box and toss it on the trolley.... maybe it's different up here in Canada :sarcasm:

#36 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

Nice deal. I figure you went UPS? Soda syrup. Hey thats what cornies were before too. Nice deal. Definitely keep us posted. Hope this one turns out good for you.

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

Interesting assessment of the provision J. How exactly do wek know that the OP is "licensed and authorized under applicable law"? UPS is looking for something more than "I'm a homebrewer and therefor I'm licensed and authorized". I don't think it quite works that way. I review contracts all day long... been doing it for 9 years now. I'm trained to throw up "red flags" and this one is actually a major one in my book. Here is the language that causes me angst over this issue:Packages containing alcoholic beverages (wine, beer, or spirits) are acceptedfor transportation only as a contractual service and only from shippers who arelicensed and authorized under applicable laws to ship alcoholic beverages.With that being said, I would be more comfortable getting away with sending a 6er via UPS... generally harmless right? But we are talking about multiple gallons of the stuff and things could "go wrong". I'm just saying...I do like the Greyhound option for a keg. I know that earthtone is from Canada, but I can't imagine it would be that different. Also... Massachusets to Chicago... there'd probably be a direct Amtrack train. That's another option for a full keg.

My interpretation is that UPS doesn't give a flying crap if you're sending homebrew to a buddy, they just don't want anyone making a business out of shipping booze via UPS without paying the appropriate gov't fees, because then Uncle Sam gets PO'd and UPS is in the middle.

#38 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

That's what the containers are for, right? Soda syrup. What else could possibly be in there??? :sarcasm:

Edited by JKoravos, 16 June 2009 - 03:19 PM.

#39 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

My interpretation is that UPS doesn't give a flying crap if you're sending homebrew to a buddy, they just don't want anyone making a business out of shipping booze via UPS without paying the appropriate gov't fees, because then Uncle Sam gets PO'd and UPS is in the middle.

There is also the concern about underage peeps getting a hold of beer/liquor/etc via shipping. There is a lot of liability there for the shipper as well.

#40 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

My buddy lives in Chicago, and owns a draft installation and cleaning company. He hooked me up with 4 cornies, and a ton of stuff for my kegerator. He is now sending me a 4 faucet pass-through tower for my new chest freezer. In return he wants a keg of my kolsch. So I have it all wrapped up tight, depressured, garbage bag over and taped up, in a huge box with plenty of cushioning. My idea is to ship it UPS ground.Anyone do this before?So what should the item description read? Antique keg?

A day late...Looks like I have a company trip to RI or Ma. in the week or so. I could have driven it to Springfield, Il if your guy would'a met me.Glad to see that you found a good and fairly inexpensive way to get it there.

Edited by Mudd, 19 June 2009 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users