#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

My buddy lives in Chicago, and owns a draft installation and cleaning company. He hooked me up with 4 cornies, and a ton of stuff for my kegerator. He is now sending me a 4 faucet pass-through tower for my new chest freezer. In return he wants a keg of my kolsch. So I have it all wrapped up tight, depressured, garbage bag over and taped up, in a huge box with plenty of cushioning. My idea is to ship it UPS ground.Anyone do this before?So what should the item description read? Antique keg?

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Sounds risky if it is depressurized. It might lose the seal and leak. Even if you have it nice and tight, liquid will find a way. If you are sending it ground anyway, pressure it up a little. As far as saying what the contents are, I've always used "yeast samples" for bottles.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

My buddy lives in Chicago, and owns a draft installation and cleaning company. He hooked me up with 4 cornies, and a ton of stuff for my kegerator. He is now sending me a 4 faucet pass-through tower for my new chest freezer. In return he wants a keg of my kolsch. So I have it all wrapped up tight, depressured, garbage bag over and taped up, in a huge box with plenty of cushioning. My idea is to ship it UPS ground.Anyone do this before?So what should the item description read? Antique keg?

ROAD TRIP!

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

Shipping a keg to me filled is risky for sure. I am not sure I would trust the seals for that journey. Just a thought, why can't you bottle up a full keg of your Kolsch and ship that to your buddy. Otherwise a roadtrip might have to do too.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

I don't think I could ship I keg. I'd be way too worried 5 gallons of beer would end up on the floor of a UPS warehouse.

#6 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

Sounds risky if it is depressurized. It might lose the seal and leak.

It is not completely. I shot it with 12psi and left it for a couple days. When you pull the PRV now iot will let out a little fart. Its been kegged for almost 2 weeks now, and before I wrapped it, I pulled the PRV again and got a little pfffft. So there is some pressure, but I did not fully carb or repressure it.

Just a thought, why can't you bottle up a full keg of your Kolsch and ship that to your buddy.

I did that last time with a 12 pack, this was his idea, and I think he wants to hook the keg up at the shop (?)

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

I am also thinking about just plain coming out and telling the UPS girl that it is a keg of beer. I dont think UPS cares. When I shipped for the Longshot comp, I put the "antique bottles" in the description. When she read off the destination and it was "longshot homebrew comp" she wished me luck. So not sure if the will wig out if I put like some "this side up" arrows and fess up at the beginning.

#8 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I am also thinking about just plain coming out and telling the UPS girl that it is a keg of beer. I dont think UPS cares. When I shipped for the Longshot comp, I put the "antique bottles" in the description. When she read off the destination and it was "longshot homebrew comp" she wished me luck. So not sure if the will wig out if I put like some "this side up" arrows and fess up at the beginning.

I guess all they can say is "no". Then you've pretty much just wasted some time.

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hey if going the Honest Abe route from the get go works for you then go for it. If they deny you though be ready for that at least too. Whatever you feel comfy doing, keg, telling them, let er rip and let us know how it goes. Hey if you ship a keg with success who knows what the beer pass on here will become.

#10 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Hey if you ship a keg with success who knows what the beer pass on here will become.

Yeah but it is going to cost me $35 to ship it. I had her check the box size last time I was there (she actually gave me the box) and told her it would be 50# to be safe. I figure worst case scenario is they tell me no, then I just go to another UPS store and lie through my teeth.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

I'd probably crate it, if I was going to ship one.

#12 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31550 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Yeah but it is going to cost me $35 to ship it. I had her check the box size last time I was there (she actually gave me the box) and told her it would be 50# to be safe. I figure worst case scenario is they tell me no, then I just go to another UPS store and lie through my teeth.

35.00?? Thats it for a full keg???? Jeezus thats is a LOT cheaper than I would have guessed. I just shipped 4 bombers in the beer pass and it was like 22.00.You could always say it is something culinary related. Like "Marinade sample" or some shit. I told UPS that the beer for the beer swap was "Salsa". She was like "Hmm ok. Is it packed really good, I wouldn't want "Salsa" getting into the eyes of the delivery driver". :)

#13 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

try greyhound?

#14 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

Nice, I haven't shipped any "salsa" yet, but I've shipped "root beer", "olive oil", "candles" and all sorts of crap all over the place. FWIW the one time I mentioned beer I was turned away. I would look at FedEx ground too. Not that I expect they'll be cheaper, but they should cost about the same as UPS. Difference is FedEx won't destroy your package in my experience.

You could always say it is something culinary related. Like "Marinade sample" or some shit. I told UPS that the beer for the beer swap was "Salsa". She was like "Hmm ok. Is it packed really good, I wouldn't want "Salsa" getting into the eyes of the delivery driver". :sarcasm:

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:16 AM

Tell them it's soda syrup. :sarcasm:

#16 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

They will care because this is illegal.BrewBasser

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

homemade root beer

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:16 AM

I would not be comfortable sending 5 gallons halfway across the country. I know your buddy wants some "reimbursement", but it just seems too damn risky from a "will it get there ok" sort of proposition, and as BrewBasser pointed out... "legal" sort of proposition. I don't know what the commercial guys would think about 5 gallons. I just don't "trust them" to get it there undamaged/full/etc.Tell your buddy that if he's willing to wait for a road trip, that you'll bring out 10 gallons! (and take 1 keg back with you) That way you can enjoy it together and get blotto in Chi Town.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

I'd probably crate it, if I was going to ship one.

Also, fill it up as much as possible to prevent sloshing. Tilt the keg at an angle with the gas post facing up and fill it until the liquid starts coming out of the gas post.

#20 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

ROAD TRIP!

+1 Then you get to help him drink it, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users