#21 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16535 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

Buy a spare Posted Image Glad it's up and running, and glad it didn't shoot craps when it's really hot...........

No kidding. At least it was just a few days going without. Might have to keep a look out for another one going into winter.

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

No kidding. At least it was just a few days going without. Might have to keep a look out for another one going into winter.

If I find a deal I'll let you know since I should have one around too. Cold beer Posted Image Funny, I figured out the GFI outlet for the kegerator got bumped by the gas line guy Friday when he recharged a drill battery. Wondered why it was getting warm yesterday...........Posted Image

#23 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16535 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

If I find a deal I'll let you know since I should have one around too. Cold beer Posted Image Funny, I figured out the GFI outlet for the kegerator got bumped by the gas line guy Friday when he recharged a drill battery. Wondered why it was getting warm yesterday...........Posted Image

Yikes. I find on occasion my GFI will kick on my AC unit for the walkin. This new unit has a breaker at the plug in. Not sure I like that idea. One GFI is plenty in that system.

#24 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16535 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

48* and holding. Getting ready to go colder!

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18078 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

48* and holding. Getting ready to go colder!

Andy, How big is your cold room?

#26 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16535 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Andy, How big is your cold room?

6x8x8. I do have a airlock. In other words, there is a small room I walk into from the outside that can hold as many carboys that will fit on a shelf (12-14). From there there is a second door that goes into the colder side. When the colder side is at 48* the airlock room holds steady at 55*, by radiant. The colder the main room, the colder the airlock gets. The airlock is the key to the entire thing because I can go in/out as many times as I like without introducing warmer air (condensation) into the space. This is one of the reasons why a AC unit will freeze up on people. I also monitor a WL tube full of ice pack gel. Monitoring ambient will darn near always cause a freeze up because as soon as the space is opened the unit comes on and will hurt trying to keep up.

Edited by BlKtRe, 18 May 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Why did you pick 48*, for lagering? Just curious what you use the cold side for other than storage. I will need to build a walk in cooler one day and it will be for fermenting and storage. So having two rooms, one for Ales/storage one for Lagers/storage makes sense.Cheers,Rich

#28 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16535 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Why did you pick 48*, for lagering? Just curious what you use the cold side for other than storage. I will need to build a walk in cooler one day and it will be for fermenting and storage. So having two rooms, one for Ales/storage one for Lagers/storage makes sense.Cheers,Rich

I can go a little colder than 48*. I store the majority of my kegs in the cold side and I also have taps coming out of there. Since I prefer my beers around 45* it works out. If I do a true lager in the "Lager Stage" I do it right above freezing in a fermentation fridge then serve it from another kegerator I have. I have also fermented lagers in the cold side many times if a ferment fridge is not open. The airlock side, works perfect for storing wine, meads, Cyser's, that sort of thing.

#29 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

I can go a little colder than 48*. I store the majority of my kegs in the cold side and I also have taps coming out of there. Since I prefer my beers around 45* it works out. If I do a true lager in the "Lager Stage" I do it right above freezing in a fermentation fridge then serve it from another kegerator I have. I have also fermented lagers in the cold side many times if a ferment fridge is not open. The airlock side, works perfect for storing wine, meads, Cyser's, that sort of thing.

Big difference in FL. I want the walk in so I can cold store on the 45-48 side and ferment ale on the other side. Between now and November I have to cover my carboys with a t-shirt and run a fan over the whole thing so I get evaporative cooling. Its also in a dark closet and I am still on the high side. I'm lucky if I can get down to 68 ambient. The guy that helped me get started used to ferment in a chest freezer with a controller on it that was set about as high as it could and then he got good ale ferm temps. Cheers,Rich

#30 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16535 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Big difference in FL. I want the walk in so I can cold store on the 45-48 side and ferment ale on the other side. Between now and November I have to cover my carboys with a t-shirt and run a fan over the whole thing so I get evaporative cooling. Its also in a dark closet and I am still on the high side. I'm lucky if I can get down to 68 ambient. The guy that helped me get started used to ferment in a chest freezer with a controller on it that was set about as high as it could and then he got good ale ferm temps. Cheers,Rich

Sounds like a decent plan to me. Altho Ks. has some nasty hot, humid days too. My ground water temp can reach 78-80*.At least you see what it takes and are making adjustments. I know some new brewers that wont do anything about it and keep wondering why the beer is off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users