#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

About 6 yrs ago I built my walkin cooler. Stangbat gave me a Goldstar AC Unit for the project. I came home the other day and my Love said it was 60* inside. :D So I started the process of unfreezing the unit and bring down the temp slow. Not gonna happen. I think it sprung a coolant leak. Serious bad timing. I have well over 100g of beer for our upcoming fundraiser plus my barrel brew stock in my walkin that has to stay cold. The crappy thing is I cannot find a analog AC unit that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Ive found plenty of digital ones with the correct BtU rating in my price range, but those wont do me any good. Anyways, cheers to my dead Goldstar. You done me good, till now.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

I know the electronic ones can be modded, but probably a pain. Craigslist?

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

I know the electronic ones can be modded, but probably a pain. Craigslist?

I looked on Craigslist and didn't find anything in Lawrence. Found a few in the KC area but Im not spending the gas money to get there. Also, Ive read nothing but trouble trying to mod a digital unit. Especially with my limited wiring knowledge.

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

My AC units have come from pawn shops. The winter is the best time to buy them, but it still might be col enough to get a deal. Once it gets hot out the shops stop the good deals.

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

My AC units have come from pawn shops. The winter is the best time to buy them, but it still might be col enough to get a deal. Once it gets hot out the shops stop the good deals.

Yea. Like I said, bad timing.

#6 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

Yea. Like I said, bad timing.

Just a brain gas but how about the cooling unit off of the outside ice machines that store bag ice. Trying to run a contact down but I believe he is out of town for the month dang it.ThinkingGod BlessMartin

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64057 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Are the digital units different? I've assumed they are pretty much the same, except they have a "fancy" display and interface. Functionally, it's just a fancy package attached to an SPST switch, amiright?

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Are the digital units different? I've assumed they are pretty much the same, except they have a "fancy" display and interface. Functionally, it's just a fancy package attached to an SPST switch, amiright?

I dont know how to rewire off of the PSB. Others have had alot of trouble too from my research. Others yet have figured it out. I know for a fact I couldn't.

#9 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

That sucks. If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? I bought both of my 8k btu analog window AC units for right around $200 a piece new from walmart.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

That sucks. If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? I bought both of my 8k btu analog window AC units for right around $200 a piece new from walmart.

Dont have one...lol. Wasn't expecting this. I did find a 5000 for $99 at Sears which is smaller than my current DOA one by only 200.

#11 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

I have close to that same unit.Mine is sold by home depot but Iam led to believe its the same.Compressor shuts off at about 22'F output temp.This is the units guts.You could in theory run 2 5k ac's no?

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

Dont have one...lol. Wasn't expecting this. I did find a 5000 for $99 at Sears which is smaller than my current DOA one by only 200.

Do it, get that stuff cooled off.Buy another one at the end of summer too for a backup. Hate to say it but I think we talked about that a while ago. Guess I ought to follow my own advice because it will happen.........

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

I have close to that same unit.Mine is sold by home depot but Iam led to believe its the same.Compressor shuts off at about 22'F output temp.This is the units guts.You could in theory run 2 5k ac's no?

The pic of the outside doesn't look the same as mine. The DOA is flat fronted with all the controls mounted there. But yeah, 2 5000's could work, but Ive also read there is such a thing as having to many BtU's for a space and causing freeze up's just like being to small.

Do it, get that stuff cooled off.Buy another one at the end of summer too for a backup. Hate to say it but I think we talked about that a while ago. Guess I ought to follow my own advice because it will happen.........

Yup. Im gonna buy the $99 5000 BtU tomorrow. It will at least get down to 45-48* which isn't to bad for now. Ive got to much invested in these beers sitting there to be ambient. Yuck :blink:

#14 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

I took the probe in front of the ac coils and pushed it out the side of the insulation.Then used my pid to control the on off cycle.I bet you can get quite a bit colder than 48' unless your cooler is leaky or such?With this set up my 5k unit (the one in my link) can drive down below freezing.(I don't so it does not freeze but in theory could)

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

I took the probe in front of the ac coils and pushed it out the side of the insulation.Then used my pid to control the on off cycle.I bet you can get quite a bit colder than 48' unless your cooler is leaky or such?With this set up my 5k unit (the one in my link) can drive down below freezing.(I don't so it does not freeze but in theory could)

Doesn't sound like you bypassed the internal thermostat and are tricking the unit by moving the probe to a warmer area. This would cause the unit to run all the time but the PID controls the on/off cycles. Ive seen a guy use a small light bulb radiating heat onto the probe. Pretty much does the same thing you are doing.I use a Love which also can do what your PID is doing. Off the top of my head the setting is the defrost time. I might have to try this sometime, but for now Im bypassing the internal T-stat because I dont have the time to mess around. I might get back to it tho. Thanks.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

New unit is installed. I jumped the internal T-stat. Some other time I may try tricking the probe. I'm in a 2* system drop down. Going to take the rest of the day to remove condensation from my space and load. Hoping for good things! :blink:Blowing 28* air. The space wont get that cold ever, but so far everything seems on target for the system cool down.

Edited by BlKtRe, 17 May 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

Wow, this is going better than I thought. No freeze up's getting the condensation and load to temp. Started at 66* and I am now at 50*. I think I'm going to stay at 50* for the rest of the night before going any lower. Don't want something happening while sleeping.

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

It is awesome that you were able to get everything turned around so quickly, I hope that this air conditioner will last you for many years to come!

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

It is awesome that you were able to get everything turned around so quickly, I hope that this air conditioner will last you for many years to come!

Thanks. Still got a ways to go, but getting there. Yea, if I can get as many years out of this one as the last, then Id be happy!

#20 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Thanks. Still got a ways to go, but getting there. Yea, if I can get as many years out of this one as the last, then Id be happy!

Buy a spare Posted Image Glad it's up and running, and glad it didn't shoot craps when it's really hot...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users