#361 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

was warm that day, we're holding steady in the mid teens celcius! I doubt there's more than 2 pints left in my keg haha, gotta get it back in rotation!!

#362 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

Thinking about trying this one again tomorrow. The last time I had an infected starter so it did not come out that good. Any thoughts to using Citra at 60 min? I have some Citra but have not used them but hear it gives a tropical fruit taste. Thinking that may work well for the summer.

#363 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

the mt. hoods work really well for this one. My last batch I bought a 2oz pack of fresh hops and added the extra oz at 5 min - delishhhhh. I would dave the citra for a west coast, but that's just me!EDIT: by DAVE the citra I meant SAVE :P

#364 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54809 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

Haven't tried the Citra, but by all means... this seems like a decent base to give it a try. I have heard a number of people say that the Citra is fruity, passion-fruity, tropical, skittles-like, etc. That must be some cuh-razy hop! Cheers.

#365 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

Haven't tried the Citra, but by all means... this seems like a decent base to give it a try. I have heard a number of people say that the Citra is fruity, passion-fruity, tropical, skittles-like, etc. That must be some cuh-razy hop! Cheers.

Citra hops are pretty awesome. I have brewed a Pale Ale recipe that I created three times now with them and they have been fabulous. The Citras are really grapefruity, some passion fruit as well. I love em to be honest. Carbing up two of the Pales right now but I would suggest them to anyone that is willing to give them a try, you could bitter and flavor with them too, the are around 11% Alpha.

#366 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18093 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Decided to just follow the recipe as is. This recipe and me do not have a good record. First time it got infected. Today while getting ready to whirlpool I had the hoses set up wrong and pumped 2 gallons into a bucket. Ended up with 4 gallons. Here is to hoping those come out tasty. Maybe the third time will be the charm!

#367 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Decided to just follow the recipe as is. This recipe and me do not have a good record. First time it got infected. Today while getting ready to whirlpool I had the hoses set up wrong and pumped 2 gallons into a bucket. Ended up with 4 gallons. Here is to hoping those come out tasty. Maybe the third time will be the charm!

+1 to having a bad history with it. It was my first AG batch and it got infected, then the second time I brewed it I ended up with that funky apple taste. But I've got a starter of 1056 going and MLPA is on the list of that run.

#368 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

I just tapped some MLPA. I don't know but its not quite as good as my extract version. I think its missing some caramel character. Its tough to tell, its more subtle than in my extract.. Its good, but its not jaw dropping like before. Maybe I need to add a little extra caramel next time. Or maybe I've been getting used to IPA too much. Maybe its my sinuses, they are backed up so who knows. I'll try some more tomorrow.Cheers,Rich

#369 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54809 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:21 AM

I just tapped some MLPA. I don't know but its not quite as good as my extract version. I think its missing some caramel character. Its tough to tell, its more subtle than in my extract.. Its good, but its not jaw dropping like before. Maybe I need to add a little extra caramel next time. Or maybe I've been getting used to IPA too much. Maybe its my sinuses, they are backed up so who knows. I'll try some more tomorrow. Cheers, Rich

I went up to Northern Wisconsin to fish a couple weeks ago and on my way I stopped at a place and saw a big bag of Atomic Fireballs. I haven't seen these things in years and I love them. I don't know if it was the heat or just from sucking on these things, but my tongue is still numb and nothing tastes right. I also notice that if I switch from one homebrew to another flavor, my tongue doesn't want to cooperate. Your tastebuds have to work right or all bets are off. Or maybe your taste has just changed. Cheers.

#370 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:34 AM

I went up to Northern Wisconsin to fish a couple weeks ago and on my way I stopped at a place and saw a big bag of Atomic Fireballs. I haven't seen these things in years and I love them. I don't know if it was the heat or just from sucking on these things, but my tongue is still numb and nothing tastes right. I also notice that if I switch from one homebrew to another flavor, my tongue doesn't want to cooperate. Your tastebuds have to work right or all bets are off. Or maybe your taste has just changed. Cheers.

sometimes I like to eat fireballs before I have spicy food b/c it seems like they open up the pores in my mouth and make the food seem even hotter :)

#371 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54809 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

sometimes I like to eat fireballs before I have spicy food b/c it seems like they open up the pores in my mouth and make the food seem even hotter :)

I like all of that stuff and I have eaten it since I was little... Atomic Fireballs, Red Hots, Hot Tamales, etc. Yum. But I seriously lit up my tongue because nothing tastes right for the past 2 weeks. As for the issues that BB had, I also notice this: When I order specialty grains online, they seem much fresher to me than the stuff at the one LHBS that I go to. The one local place will package everything precrushed. So when I buy a pound of precrushed C60, it just doesn't seem the same as the stuff that was just crushed & shipped which seems much fresher & aromatic. BewbieBrewer... any chance that your Crystal 60L was old or stale, etc.? Just thinking out loud. Cheers!

#372 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

I tapped a keg of MLPA tonight and boy is it good. Props to Ken for producing a great recipe.

#373 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

I tapped a keg of MLPA tonight and boy is it good. Props to Ken for producing a great recipe.

haven't seen this thread for a while! :)

#374 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54809 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Good to hear. I have it on tap right now and have a backup keg waiting in my on-deck fridge. But I had been ignoring that tap for awhile because I was drinking another FWH'd pale ale and then my pumpkin ale. But over the weekend I pulled a few pints from the MLPA tap and man was it good. Crystal clear and very clean on this batch. Cheers!

#375 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

I made 11 gallons of this yesterday. Hit all my numbers but the color looked a little light. Looking forward to tapping this!

#376 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54809 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

Nice timing because I knocked off a few pints of this during the first part of the MNF game tonight. I've been knocking back spiced pumkpin ale for the past couple of weeks along with Home Run Red Lager that is currently on my tap #2. This keg of MLPA is about to blow and then it will be time for the backup keg! Damn, Chris... 11 gallons? Giddy up, Brewman!

#377 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

You bet Ken! Yeast split us-05 and us-04, I always try to split yeasts to add variety and get to know them better. I ran off an extra 2000ml for a yeast starter of WY1007 for this weeks alt. CHEERS! :devil:

Edited by chriscose, 09 November 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#378 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

Nice timing because I knocked off a few pints of this during the first part of the MNF game tonight. I've been knocking back spiced pumkpin ale for the past couple of weeks along with Home Run Red Lager that is currently on my tap #2. This keg of MLPA is about to blow and then it will be time for the backup keg! Damn, Chris... 11 gallons? Giddy up, Brewman!

Memory Lapse is a tried and true tasty and popular beer. If you haven't brewed it and are thinking about it, stop thinking and start brewing. Ken what yeast did you use for the home run red lager? I have some wlp830 fermenting a Vienna lager right now. I am thinking about using it for the homerun red.

#379 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54809 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

Memory Lapse is a tried and true tasty and popular beer. If you haven't brewed it and are thinking about it, stop thinking and start brewing. Ken what yeast did you use for the home run red lager? I have some wlp830 fermenting a Vienna lager right now. I am thinking about using it for the homerun red.

This particular batch of HRRL was made with 2278 because I just so happened to have it up & running. I had never used 2278 in this beer but it came out really, really nice. When I make it as an ale, it's 1056/WLP001 and when I make it as a lager it's usually 2124/WLP830. The 830 makes a great lager and it's so versatile... Vienna (as you say), Oktober, German Pils, Dunkel and almost any other lager style you can name will come out nicely with 830. I think the WL webpage says that it's the most popular lager strain in the world. Or is that 2124? I forget.

#380 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

This particular batch of HRRL was made with 2278 because I just so happened to have it up & running. I had never used 2278 in this beer but it came out really, really nice. When I make it as an ale, it's 1056/WLP001 and when I make it as a lager it's usually 2124/WLP830. The 830 makes a great lager and it's so versatile... Vienna (as you say), Oktober, German Pils, Dunkel and almost any other lager style you can name will come out nicely with 830. I think the WL webpage says that it's the most popular lager strain in the world. Or is that 2124? I forget.

Ever try 830 on memory lapse? Oh by the way I found Victoria beer at our local specs last night... It's in the fridge now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users