23 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

I was online looking for Best Malz pilsner malt from Germany (Denny recommended it) and found REBEL BREWER. I ordered about 20 pounds of the pilsner along with some hops, yeast, some specialty grains, etc. The order arrived at my door in less than 48 hours and everything was well-packed and the order was correct. The Hallertau pellets I ordered were in an oxygen-purged, vacuum-sealed pouch (the air had been sucked out of it and it was as if the foil was shrink-wrapped around the hops... to the point where you could make out the individual pellets inside the foil). The hops were fresh, green, aromatic and vibrant. The prices seem very good and the selection is very wide. I buy things locally unless I just can't get it here or if I don't have time to make the drive. I order from Midwest, Williams, Northern Brewer on occasion, but these guys at Rebel just seem very, very good to me. Next time you order online, check them out.* Not a paid spokesperson... * :(

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

I may be beating a dead horse here, but I ordered from these guys again maybe 2 or 3 times since my last post and they just blow me away. On Thursday afternoon 9/15, I ordered 35 pounds of crushed grain, yeast, hops, Whirfloc, etc. and on Saturday morning the FedEx guy was here with the box. Some of you guys know how it goes... you order on a Monday thinking that your stuff will arrive for your Saturday brewday but it never comes. Order from these guys and you won't have that problem. The yeast I ordered (WLP840) was past it's date so the guy called me and asked me if I was going to make a starter for it. He actually asked me that. He also asked if I minded that it was past its date, to which I told him NO. He said, "I'll throw in another vial of it to make sure you have enough yeast". These guys are all good all the time. Give them a try, you will NOT be sorry. Cheers.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10543 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Big props to these guys as well! I've been previously ordering from Brewmasters Warehouse for a couple years now and finally got burned for the last time. Numerous times I have ordered from them over a week in advance and it won't show up for my following Sat. brewday and there 4 hours from me. So after reading Ken's review on Rebel I gave them a try. Cannot complain what so ever. Ordered about 70lbs. of crushed grain late Mon. night and was waiting for me when I got home today, with a holiday in there as well. Will probably be my new go to place for now. They don't have flat rate shipping like most others but there prices are cheap and make up for it and some. The next thing will be to see the efficiency I get with there crush. That was another thing that Brewmasters started letting me down with,my efficiency has suffered lately with them. Later Brewmasters, hello Rebel!

#4 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

Comptroller of Betties & Crocs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

The next thing will be to see the efficiency I get with there crush. That was another thing that Brewmasters started letting me down with,my efficiency has suffered lately with them. Later Brewmasters, hello Rebel!

Interesting how the crush can affect efficiency. This may be a reason to get my own grain crusher.

#5 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Interesting how the crush can affect efficiency. This may be a reason to get my own grain crusher.

You will not be sorry, my efficiency is 78-80https://Posted Image

#6 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Awesome crusher!

#7 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hard to see the mill is 3-roller Crankenandstein. really good miller! Good luck!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

For anyone who missed THIS thread, I wanted to post it here. There was a small blip in their shipping (for those who don't like tl;dr... the bags of grain in the box that arrived opened up and spilled out all over the box) but they explained what the issue was and ended up resending the entire order over again. The owner asked me about a way to make it better and I suggested maybe sending me half of the grain for some upcoming recipes but he would have none of it and sent me back another 38 pounds of grain! These guys really are fantastic and one look at their selection, prices, discounts for larger volumes, etc. will convince you. If you ordinarily buy locally, good for you. If you occasionally need something ordered online, please check these guys out. They have truly done me right in everything that I have ordered. Cheers.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

For anyone who missed THIS thread, I wanted to post it here. There was a small blip in their shipping (for those who don't like tl;dr... the bags of grain in the box that arrived opened up and spilled out all over the box) but they explained what the issue was and ended up resending the entire order over again. The owner asked me about a way to make it better and I suggested maybe sending me half of the grain for some upcoming recipes but he would have none of it and sent me back another 38 pounds of grain! These guys really are fantastic and one look at their selection, prices, discounts for larger volumes, etc. will convince you. If you ordinarily buy locally, good for you. If you occasionally need something ordered online, please check these guys out. They have truly done me right in everything that I have ordered. Cheers.

Good to hear they took care of you. I thought you were talking about them in the other thread, but I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag.Cheers!

#10 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I have to say that Rebel Brewer's packaging needs work. I received grains for my next brew and couldn't make out the hand writing on the bags. I'd love to get them a label makers. I also have to say that I'm fond of sites where you can store your recipes then simply click when you want to order it. Also, Rebel Brewer doesn't allow you to order grains with fractions of a pound or ounce with hops. I sure wish that they would upgrade this because otherwise they have had everything I needed.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

I've never ordered fractions of pounds of grains or hops but I could see that. I have also never heard of sites allowing you to store your recipes and then ordering from it but it would be helpful. I have had the writing on the bags rub off and it's very frustrating. I've also had it where the writing is plenty dark but you can't read the writing. Also not handy... I have to go back to my receipt and compare what was on it to what I see in front of me, usually by process of elimination. The one LHBS by me probably does it the best. Their bags are long and thin and VERY thick. If you order 15 or 20 lbs of grain, it looks like a giant grain sausage or something... three feet long and 10-12" around. Then they write the contents of the bag in Sharpie in huge letters across the bag so you always know what it is. Maybe I should suggest this to them.Here's something else. I have been ordering pellets for years now and I always liked how they packaged the pellets. Foil bags that are vacuum sealed and oxygen-purged. But lately my hops are all stuck together in a big brick. I have to crumble them to get them apart for measuring. Not sure if this is their fault or what but mildly annoying.

#12 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

I have also never heard of sites allowing you to store your recipes and then ordering from it but it would be helpful.

httpss://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/account/edit-recipe/967f0d06

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Here's something else. I have been ordering pellets for years now and I always liked how they packaged the pellets. Foil bags that are vacuum sealed and oxygen-purged. But lately my hops are all stuck together in a big brick. I have to crumble them to get them apart for measuring. Not sure if this is their fault or what but mildly annoying.

Just means they're nice & resiny. :) If your hands aren't green after you're done, they were probably stale.

#14 Jdtirado

Jdtirado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2162 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

I think someone at Rebel Brewer read this post cause this time they sent my grains with nice labels on them...wooo hooooo. It's the little things.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53365 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

I think someone at Rebel Brewer read this post cause this time they sent my grains with nice labels on them...wooo hooooo. It's the little things.

Right. My last order had everything labeled which is a plus, for sure. Even if the Sharpie writing is legibile, eventually it wears off and you can't read it anyway. I sent an email to Tom Gentry telling him that the labels were a good idea.

Just means they're nice & resiny. :) If your hands aren't green after you're done, they were probably stale.

I've never heard this but I'll go with it. Quite a few varieties have come to me this way where the pellets were all clumped together... Saaz, Tettnanger, some of the Southern Hemisphere hops, Mt. Hood, Liberty, etc. They looked and smelled great but the individual pellets were not separate. Cheers gang.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

I've never heard this but I'll go with it. Quite a few varieties have come to me this way where the pellets were all clumped together... Saaz, Tettnanger, some of the Southern Hemisphere hops, Mt. Hood, Liberty, etc. They looked and smelled great but the individual pellets were not separate. Cheers gang.

Was kinda kidding but only partly. The last time I bagged hops the pellet hops all stuck together like that. They did come apart but when I first opened the bag it was a big mass of gooey pellets. Yum!

#17 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Wanted to add that I've switched my orders over to Rebel Brewer and have been very pleased. I typically have my orders in three days whereas I was waiting 8-10 days for other online suppliers.

#18 Gus13

Gus13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Just placed an order with these guys. I like that they are in Nashville. Maybe the shipping will get here by this weekend then. I had to order some stainless barbs since no one here carries them. I also picked up a vial of Belgian Bastogne White Labs yeast. I plan on using it for a Belgian Pale Ale. I usually use Midwest but they were out of some other things I needed. Good to hear these guys are good from you other fellas with experience with them.

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm a little bit grumpy right now with RB. I ordered some tubing from them and what they sent has kinks in it about every 4-5 feet. I'm not going to stop using them but I'm looking at this as strike one.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm a little bit grumpy right now with RB. I ordered some tubing from them and what they sent has kinks in it about every 4-5 feet. I'm not going to stop using them but I'm looking at this as strike one.

did you e-mail them about it to see if they would send you a replacement?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users