30 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:08 AM

For people using the twine/rope going to the ground: how do you secure the rope to the ground? How much tension is there on the rope? I'm planning on rigging some twine to go from the ground up to a high point on my deck and I haven't decided how I'll secure the lower parts of the twine yet.

#22 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21341 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:32 AM

I went to HD and got some site stakes. Drilled a hole through them and tied off. I pounded them into the ground and that's my tension. Having Georgia red clay keeps in in place. Kinda like concrete during the summer.

#23 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

I never really smelled the hops until right before I harvested The amazing thing is, how fast they grow. I'm talking about 1.5 inches ever day fast.

I think it is actually up to one FOOT per day. My trellis design consists of 4 chain link top rails - two per side = 20 feet. They are fastened to my neighbors old chain link fence which is pretty damn sturdy. I run a cable up one side to a pulley then across to the other side to another pulley and down. From that cable I connected several plastic coated cables which the bines grow up. I have guy wires connected to the tops of each of the top rails for more stability. The pulleys allow me to simply lower the bines for harvesting so I don't need to use a ladder.Oh, and I added a third section of top rail in the middle, between the two others, for more support. 9 bines tend to get pretty heavy.

#24 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:27 AM

For stakes I ended up getting a bulk pack of plastic tent stakes. When I twined up the bines I would attach one end of the twine to the top support line and then come down through the hook and then back up to the support line to make a 'V'. This way you have the two lines for each crown and only have to tie two ends. You can kind of see what I'm talking about below. Posted Image

#25 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

For stakes I ended up getting a bulk pack of plastic tent stakes. When I twined up the bines I would attach one end of the twine to the top support line and then come down through the hook and then back up to the support line to make a 'V'. This way you have the two lines for each crown and only have to tie two ends. You can kind of see what I'm talking about below. Posted Image

Wow nice. I only have one bine thus far. How many varieties do you grow, and how much space do you put between each variety?

#26 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

Wow nice. I only have one bine thus far. How many varieties do you grow, and how much space do you put between each variety?

This year I will be growing five varieties: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Northern Brewer, and Williamette. The entire back row is Cascade!Between varieties I keep the distance at 8' (still kind of close) and within the same variety 4'.

#27 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47946 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

I use those twist-in dog stakes to tie the rope to the ground. Buck each at the dollar store.

#28 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

I use those twist-in dog stakes to tie the rope to the ground. Buck each at the dollar store.

Great idea George, thanks.EXACTLY what I need. I found like this:Posted Imageexcept no cable. Good for up to 50 pound dogs. I wonder how many bines that translates into?They were $2.50 though.The pet store three stores up wanted $8.95 for the same thing!So should I post my project in this thread, or create another?

#29 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

A small group of us in my brew club planted 70 rhizomes last year, on a plot of land next to my house. We will add another 30 this year to expand the ones that did well, and plant some new experiments to see how they do in the South.We have 25ft Utility poles buried 4ft , the main wire on the rows are 3/16 galv, for ropes we use 1/4" manila and they have worked well except where they touched the wet ground , this year we will have a small wire ring between the stakes and the rope.We also used waxed binding twine as a test, which worked just fine.You need at least TWO ropes per rootstock and train a few bines up each rope for best yieldPosted ImagePosted ImageMuch more info at link in my signature below

#30 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

The new hop trellis is up. We are having a rather windy day today. Dang the tops move around a bunch!

#31 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

The new hop trellis is up. We are having a rather windy day today. Dang the tops move around a bunch!

Excellent. Got any pics? I am always interesting in how others hang their hops. Today, I unraveled some of my twine so I can bring the bines down and cover them for the mid 20's temps we are suppose to get Monday. They are pretty tough, but I don't want to take any chances. I will cover them with a 5 gallon bucket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users