#21 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

I may just go with a new one big enough to serve four kegs. I wanted a 15+ ft3, but if I don't see one on CL this weekend I'm getting new one.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Ken,Here is the one that I have and currently use as a 4 tap kegerator. I have enjoyed it a great deal. I also have another one of these for my primary fermentation freezer and it holds 2 carboys side by side too. One I got as the floor model and they knocked off $20 for that also.Freezer

If I got a freezer like this (I already have an analog controller), would I need to build a collar for it? This always seems like an issue to me because I wouldn't want to buy a brand new appliance and then rip it apart. ncbeerbrewer, did you use that freezer "as is", or did you build a collar? If the collar is an absolute necessity, I'd rather get a used freezer and than ask one of you handy types to walk me through the collar building. I'm lucky in that I have a "closet" behind my bar so I could place the freezer back there and then send the shanks through the wall and add faucets... I think this would be slick. Cheers!

#23 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Ken, I did build a collar. Father in law helped me put it together. Added it between the door and the freezer so basically just removed freezer door at the hinges. Here is a pic of it as well. Posted Image

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

Nice work. Okay... so do you build the collar so you have more room for the kegs, lines, etc. or do you do it so you can drill through the collar instead of the freezer? Either one sounds reasonable so I guess I'd have to do it. I might try to pick your brain about how to go about it. Cheers.

#25 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

Ken, I really built the collar to eliminate the need to drill through the walls or ruin the freezer. The kegs will fit top to bottom in the freezer without the collar though too. I do have some progression pics that might help you out or see better how I put this thing together. PM me an e mail address if you like and I can send them, might be easier to deal with than on the chat board. I will say this though as the cheapest means to keg and use a kegerator. As you see I have my gas tank outside the freezer. You can run the C02 line under the door seal and I have done that many times to the freezer on the right. If you did this and have whatever you wanted 2, 3, 4 kegs in the freezer if you went with picnic taps $7.00 then you could dispense just have to lift the lid and squeeze the picnic tap lever. So really if you wanted to do a freezer with no collar it can be done. Gas tank, gas line, keg, freezer, picnic taps, No collar. Just an assessment if you wanted a cheapest method to a kegerator.

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

OK, I finally got one. I just gave in and grabbed the first one that looked decent. 12.8 cu ft for $120. It's a 1994 model but it's in really good shape and the energy use is pretty low (the owner had all the original documentation). It's sitting in my basement now waiting to be moved to it's new home. Hopefully it survived the trip. *crosses fingers*If this one doesn't last longer than the last CL chest freezer, I'm swearing off used chesties.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

OK, I finally got one. I just gave in and grabbed the first one that looked decent. 12.8 cu ft for $120. It's a 1994 model but it's in really good shape and the energy use is pretty low (the owner had all the original documentation). It's sitting in my basement now waiting to be moved to it's new home. Hopefully it survived the trip. *crosses fingers*If this one doesn't last longer than the last CL chest freezer, I'm swearing off used chesties.

1. Where'd you get it?2. What would have happened to it that it "wouldn't survive the trip"?3. How long did your last chest freezer last? I'm hoping that these things last a long time. Cheers.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

1. Some lady a few towns over2. Rumor has it old refrigerators/freezers don't like being moved around. Bad things can happen to the compressor.3. 2 years.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

Okay. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Do we know how many kegs you can get in there? Cheers and good luck with the conversion.

#30 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

Okay. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Do we know how many kegs you can get in there? Cheers and good luck with the conversion.

6 or 7 cornies, 8 or 9 with a collar. My 10 ft3 freezer that died could hold 6 without the collar, the new one is bigger, but it's deeper, not longer. The 10ft3 was just deep enough for two kegs, the 13ft3 will easily fit two front to back. I may be able to offset the kegs and fit one more in.

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

...and there was rejoicing in beer land.Finally got around to moving the warm kegs over from the old chest freezer. Right now I'm chilling 10 gals of nut brown and 5s of stout, porter, o-fest and bitter. I already need more room! I have 10 gals of MLPA I need to get cold, too! My buddies are about to start receiving gifts of beer.

#32 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

...and there was rejoicing in beer land.Finally got around to moving the warm kegs over from the old chest freezer. Right now I'm chilling 10 gals of nut brown and 5s of stout, porter, o-fest and bitter. I already need more room! I have 10 gals of MLPA I need to get cold, too! My buddies are about to start receiving gifts of beer.

I accept post beer pass gifts.

#33 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

I accept post beer pass gifts.

:huh: I guess you'll just have to wait 'til next time around. The stuff you got is better than mine, I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users