#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

Damn, I've been checking craigslist every day for weeks, nothing worth buying. A couple of months ago I checked it one time and found like 5 I would've bought if I had time to go get them. Now, when I want one I can't find a thing.

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

Same here. All the large chest freezers i've seen are still 200-300+. I bought my 22 CF chest freezer for 75 dollars a few years ago, and it went out, which is why I've been looking.I am tempted to just save up the cash and get a 25CF chest freezer new at lowes or something. I liked having the large chest freezer, but definitely did not like having it go out on me after a couple years (still a good value though).I do plan on building a walk-in cooler sometime in the next few years, but need something to hold me over till then, I have around 50 kegs filled!

#3 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:05 AM

Damn, I've been checking craigslist every day for weeks, nothing worth buying. A couple of months ago I checked it one time and found like 5 I would've bought if I had time to go get them. Now, when I want one I can't find a thing.

Damn Murphy and his law!!

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

Are you planning on serving out of it or is it just for lagering/cold storage?

#5 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

... I have around 50 kegs filled!

:facepalm:

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

I know there is plenty of cost savings from craigslist for freezers and appliances but I just think its easier to go the new route from Lowes or HD. I know its more $$$ upfront but I think its an investiment for the future too and the peace of mind that new equipment can allow. Craigslist for me here is hit or miss so I feel your pain on that. I just had an old freezer die two weeks ago 20 yrs running and just a couple days killed me too. Heck I can hardly find corny kegs for sale on craigslist as well. Good Luck.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

I know there is plenty of cost savings from craigslist for freezers and appliances but I just think its easier to go the new route from Lowes or HD. I know its more $$$ upfront but I think its an investiment for the future too and the peace of mind that new equipment can allow. Craigslist for me here is hit or miss so I feel your pain on that. I just had an old freezer die two weeks ago 20 yrs running and just a couple days killed me too. Heck I can hardly find corny kegs for sale on craigslist as well. Good Luck.

I think it depends what he's doing with it. I probably wouldn't want to buy a new chest freezer and drill a bunch of holes in it (thus voiding the warranty). If he's just going to hook a temp controller up to it and lager away I can see going the new route might not be a bad idea.

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:56 AM

The new freezer route works great for a kegerator though too. I went that route and built a wooden collar between the door and the freezer. Its worked great. I don't like the idea of drilling any holes in appliances but give me a wooden collar and I have no issues with that. Yes for fermentation control or lagering yes new works great. I have three examples at home to back your statement and its true.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:39 AM

It's mainly going to be for serving, but I want space for extra cold conditioning.I've been bouncing around the idea of buying new. If I saw a good deal I'd probably go for it, but I really don't have time to go bargain hunting so I don't know if the new route is going to happen.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:17 AM

This is timely because my plan is to (someday) get rid of my half-height fridge and double tower and replace it with a chest freezer that will hold 4 kegs and run the lines through the back wall of my bar. How much is a new chest freezer that will hold 4 kegs?

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

Ken,Here is the one that I have and currently use as a 4 tap kegerator. I have enjoyed it a great deal. I also have another one of these for my primary fermentation freezer and it holds 2 carboys side by side too. One I got as the floor model and they knocked off $20 for that also.Freezer

#12 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

I saw one at BJ's wholesale club for like $160. I imagine Sam's Club or Costco might have a similar deal.

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

I have around 50 kegs filled!

I'm no mathematician, but seems to me that your volume would run afoul of Federal Law. Don't you mean, you have something like 40 kegs filled??? :facepalm:

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

...but I just think its easier to go the new route from Lowes or HD. ...

Keep checking with Lowes or HD to see if there are any open box returns that are on clearance.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

I'm no mathematician, but seems to me that your volume would run afoul of Federal Law. Don't you mean, you have something like 40 kegs filled??? :smilielol:

Only if he made them all this year. :facepalm:

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

I'm no mathematician, but seems to me that your volume would run afoul of Federal Law. Don't you mean, you have something like 40 kegs filled???

But, doesn't the law state that you can only brew the 40 in a year? Having possession of over that doesn't necessarily mean it has been brewed in the same year. But, really, who's gonna know?

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

Ah, many of you are too quick for me!Yes, some meads, wines, ciders, and barleywines are in the 3+ year range, some in the 2+ year range, and many in the 1+ year range. This year, I've only made around 90 gallons of beer so far, and 12 gallons of mead. Every year in the fall I make around 30 gallons of cider.

#18 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

Ken,Here is the one that I have and currently use as a 4 tap kegerator. I have enjoyed it a great deal. I also have another one of these for my primary fermentation freezer and it holds 2 carboys side by side too. One I got as the floor model and they knocked off $20 for that also.Freezer

I should have shopped around. I have the 5.5 Cu. Ft from HD for $179. I would have paid extra for the 7.0. That said, I can put 4 kegs or 2 kegs and 1 carboy in mine. I did the Craigslist thing for a month before I broke down and picked up a new freezer.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

Ah, many of you are too quick for me!Yes, some meads, wines, ciders, and barleywines are in the 3+ year range, some in the 2+ year range, and many in the 1+ year range. This year, I've only made around 90 gallons of beer so far, and 12 gallons of mead. Every year in the fall I make around 30 gallons of cider.

No limits on cider , you get 125 gallons for beer, and 125 gallons for wine per adult per household, I assume mead counts as wine.I may be off on the nubers, and to top it off I really don't care how much he brews, he could sell it for all I care (just keep it to yourself though).

#20 DR0NE

DR0NE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

I got a Whirlpool 8.9 cu. ft. one last year and it holds 4 cornies plus a 20 pound CO2 tank with room on the compressor for bottles etc. I just checked and it doesn't look like Lowes is carrying the same model anymore. I chose it because it could fit everything for 4 taps and was the right height compared to the counter it sits next to. So depending on what you are trying to fit in there something around 7-9 cu. ft. should work and be about $200-$250 new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users