#23 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

I don't go there much now. I did post a couple of weeks ago when the gov of alabama signed a law so we can buy over 6% beer.

#24 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

So how are we going to help them?

I'd have to say "pretty much the same way". When I migrated to the GB from Yahoo Groups, I was only about a year into the hobby and ya'll accellerated my education. The difference now is that we don't have Big Brother watching our every move over here. And for some reason, a lot of the quality posters migrated over here.

#25 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Uh, why are we discussing this again? No good can come from re-hashing all this again. There should be no more GB vs. BB forums any more as it just doesn't matter now.

#26 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

I was not part of the commotion over there, but everyone seemed helpful in the beer forum. When it shut down I was about to brew my first beer so I really needed a lot of info and I found this place, and the attitude fits me perfectly, so I don't go over there anymore. I'm a rookie and all my questions have been answered over here without much griping by the experienced folk, in fact you all seem to like answering my dumb questions (I do try to do searches before I ask though).I do look for info on Northern Brewer as well, but I post here most often.Thanks!Rich

#27 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

There are still good people over at the green board, no one can deny that. There is still a ton of knowledge over there, and really, there are many members that are probably completely oblivious to what happened over there. Specifically, those that really focused on the beer forum and kept out of the PH. That said, I still appreciate the green board, but I've been posting here mostly as just a fresh start.

Yeah that is where I'm at. I hardly ever went into the public house and just kept to the beer side of that msg board and this one. I post and read on a "beer" msg board, so that's what I'm looking to talk about. I am not saying anything against people that want to talk about off topic stuff such as the Public house, but... its just not my cup of tea. I still frequent Jess's shop and he has treated me with respect as a customer for a few years now and I see no reason to hold a grudge that I had nothing to do with. I just go on this board and over there to talk about home brewing and to swap ideas/recipes with other brewers. (cue patriotic music) :wub: We as home brewers are, I believe, the very underground of new beer styles, gadgets and techniques. We don't have budgets and stock holders to answer to like the pros. We brew to have fresh good beer that is essentially customized to each of our specific tastes and after all its really fun. No-one can deny that it all began with us the home brewers. If it wasn't for us there wouldn't be a GB or a BB.... WHEW!

#28 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

Uh, why are we discussing this again? No good can come from re-hashing all this again. There should be no more GB vs. BB forums any more as it just doesn't matter now.

Exactly. This thread is just another one of those "let's pat ourselves on the back for breaking away from the repressive regime" things. Yawn.

Yeah that is where I'm at. I hardly ever went into the public house and just kept to the beer side of that msg board and this one.....No-one can deny that it all began with us the home brewers. If it wasn't for us there wouldn't be a GB or a BB.... WHEW!

Well put. There should be no VERSUS in this thing -- we all want the same thing, to brew better and better beer.By continually bringing this idea that "we're better than they are", you're doing a total disservice to this board and to the homebrewing community as a whole.

#29 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

We're better than they are! :sarcasm:Whoops, wrong subforum.....BrewBasser

#30 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

Clear and convincing evidence that we are superior and don't need to opine on our greatness anymore...Found this on the GB. Frankly, I think this guy is nuts. It's one thing to be obsessive about the hobby, but...Posted Image

#31 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Clear and convincing evidence that we are superior and don't need to opine on our greatness anymore...Found this on the GB. Frankly, I think this guy is nuts. It's one thing to be obsessive about the hobby, but...Posted Image

That would be a sure croud pleaser at a tailgate party. However, I'd be afraid to drive it home after the game, unless I was in 100% tip-top condition.

#32 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

That would be a sure croud pleaser at a tailgate party. However, I'd be afraid to drive it home after the game, unless I was in 100% tip-top condition.

Yeah... I'm hoping this guy has enough sense to remove the handles and faucets while "in transit". Then it just looks like some sort of RV type "hookup". Not a mod I'd ever be willing to make to a vehicle.

#33 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14743 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

Not a mod I'd ever be willing to make to a vehicle.

I'm guessing it probably isn't hurting the resale value of that vehicle

#34 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

I had a 12" Henry Weinhards tap handle as a shift lever in my first car in high school....I don't know what I was thinking (or my parents for letting me at 17 have a beer tap handle shift lever).BrewBasser

#35 Bearphin

Bearphin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWest of Atlanta

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

No Officer. There's no beer in this van!! Why would you suggest such a thing????? :sarcasm:

#36 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:54 AM

No Officer. There's no beer in this van!! Why would you suggest such a thing????? :)

That's what I was thinking. The beer is OUTSIDE the vehicle. There are only inaccessible kegs INSIDE the vehicle.A technicality that will surely be eliminated by the next session of the local governing body.Driver: Hey Joe, roll the window down and pour me a cold one, eh?Joe: You'll have to slow down first, I keep missing the cup.Driver: Oh, that explains why the car following us has both the dog AND the driver's head out the windows.

#37 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

That's what I was thinking. The beer is OUTSIDE the vehicle. There are only inaccessible kegs INSIDE the vehicle.A technicality that will surely be eliminated by the next session of the local governing body.Driver: Hey Joe, roll the window down and pour me a cold one, eh?Joe: You'll have to slow down first, I keep missing the cup.Driver: Oh, that explains why the car following us has both the dog AND the driver's head out the windows.

ROFLMFAO!

#38 ehines

ehines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

Officer, do you want to pour yourselfa cold one while you arrest me?ehines

#39 Pseudolus

Pseudolus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

I think it's a loss for the community that the boards split. (I'm not sending blame one way or the other - I wasn't involved in the goings on that led to the late unpleasantness and I'm not in position to say who's at fault.) But it was nice being able to talk to a broad swath of brewers all in one place. With those brewers spread around more now getting a question answered or volunteering information is going to be less efficient than it used to be. That said, I naturally wish both places well, both for their own good and for the good of new brewers getting into the swing of things. And we are where we are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users