79 replies to this topic

#41 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:17 AM

seems like in order to keep the vienna under 40% I need to use about 2lbs of munich (all I have is light munich, 6-7 SRM).

The other option is I could add a small amount of C15 to replace some of the munich. what do you guys think? ETA: in the previous post I'm referring to my goal of getting the SRM up above 6 while keeping the OG somewhere reasonable (~1.070).

#42 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:34 AM

seems like in order to keep the vienna under 40% I need to use about 2lbs of munich (all I have is light munich, 6-7 SRM).

Why's that?

#43 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

Why's that?

I'm trying to hit around 6-7 SRM and around 1.070 OG.

#44 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

You can try a longer boil to darken a little if you want to. However I wouldn't worry about color as much as taste, the flavor should be the first priority.

#45 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

You can try a longer boil to darken a little if you want to. However I wouldn't worry about color as much as taste, the flavor should be the first priority.

I was already planning to do a 90min boil b/c of the percentage of pils malt. I suppose you are right.

#46 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

Alright - so I decided to keep this one simple on the malt front:MALT:7.0lbs Pilsen6.5lbs Viennamash at 152F for 60 minsHOPS:0.50oz Hallertau MF FWH0.70oz German Magnum for 60 mins0.75oz Hallertau MF for 15 minsYEAST:Wyeast 2308 (Munich Lager)note: 90 min boilSRM: 5.5 (maybe higher with 90 min boil)OG: 1.07IBU: 34Things I'm not sure about: mash temperature and the hopping schedule. Suggestions/opinions? :P

#47 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

Mash temp, I'd go 153-155°F so that it is a bit less fermentable than usual. Hopping schedule, I'd either FWH or add a 15 minute addition but not both.

#48 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

Mash temp, I'd go 153-155°F so that it is a bit less fermentable than usual. Hopping schedule, I'd either FWH or add a 15 minute addition but not both.

I'll probably adjust the magnum as needed to keep the IBUs in about the same place. How much HMF should I be using for either the FWH or the 15min additions hops? (assuming I only did one or the other)

#49 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

Probably about a half ounce; certainly no more than an ounce. You want sort of a hint of hoppiness without it actually being hoppy...if that makes any sense.

#50 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

Probably about a half ounce; certainly no more than an ounce. You want sort of a hint of hoppiness without it actually being hoppy...if that makes any sense.

I geddit. :1zhelp:

#51 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

Okay - I did a bit of reformulation. I decided based on reading the BJCP that a bit of munich is typical here so I'm tossing in a pound.MALT:6.5lbs Pilsen6.0lbs Vienna1.0lbs Munichmash at 155F for 60 minsHOPS:0.8oz German Magnum for 60 mins0.8oz Hallertau MF for 15 minsYEAST:Wyeast 2308 (Munich Lager)note: 90 min boilSRM: 6 (maybe higher with 90 min boil)OG: 1.07IBU: 35

#52 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:49 AM

Okay - I did a bit of reformulation. I decided based on reading the BJCP that a bit of munich is typical here so I'm tossing in a pound. MALT: 6.5lbs Pilsen 6.0lbs Vienna 1.0lbs Munich mash at 155F for 60 mins HOPS: 0.8oz German Magnum for 60 mins 0.8oz Hallertau MF for 15 mins YEAST: Wyeast 2308 (Munich Lager) note: 90 min boil SRM: 6 (maybe higher with 90 min boil) OG: 1.07 IBU: 35

Looks good to me. When I brewed mine last year I used Munich Vienna and Pilsner malts nothing more. 2308 and Mags and Santiam. It was an outstanding beer and mine was a 1.070 SG too. Hope it goes well for you!!

#53 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

Looks good to me. When I brewed mine last year I used Munich Vienna and Pilsner malts nothing more. 2308 and Mags and Santiam. It was an outstanding beer and mine was a 1.070 SG too. Hope it goes well for you!!

I'll let you know but it's going to be a while! :frank: :frank:

#54 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

so the mashing low and long (that's what she said) thread got me thinking. should I maybe mash a little lower for this or is the lack of crystal and/or carapils mean I should indeed keep my mash temps up a little higher?

#55 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

so the mashing low and long (that's what she said) thread got me thinking. should I maybe mash a little lower for this or is the lack of crystal and/or carapils mean I should indeed keep my mash temps up a little higher?

This might be just me, but I get a rasiny sweetness from 120+ lovibond malts, a caramel sweetness from ~60 lovibond, a malty sweetness from Vienna or Munich malts, and a sickly sweetness from mashing high. There might be a better way of describing the sweetness from mashing high, it's not quite unpleasant enough to be called sickly sweet, but it's the least pleasant sweetness in my opinion. I think a 1.070 beer with a lot of Vienna should have plenty of mouthfeel and malty character. I think mashing a 1.070 beer at 155 would be a mistake, I would go with 147-149.

#56 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

This might be just me, but I get a rasiny sweetness from 120+ lovibond malts, a caramel sweetness from ~60 lovibond, a malty sweetness from Vienna or Munich malts, and a sickly sweetness from mashing high. There might be a better way of describing the sweetness from mashing high, it's not quite unpleasant enough to be called sickly sweet, but it's the least pleasant sweetness in my opinion. I think a 1.070 beer with a lot of Vienna should have plenty of mouthfeel and malty character. I think mashing a 1.070 beer at 155 would be a mistake, I would go with 147-149.

that's kind of what I was thinking as well but mtn mentioned the higher mash temp which kind of makes sense but I wasn't sure. I'd much rather have a slightly drier beer than something that doesn't finish low enough.

#57 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

that's kind of what I was thinking as well but mtn mentioned the higher mash temp which kind of makes sense but I wasn't sure. I'd much rather have a slightly drier beer than something that doesn't finish low enough.

A beer can still have a nice maltiness even when relatively dry, the Vienna and Munich in your recipe will help in that regard. Certain examples of German o'fest such as Hacker Pshcorr are like this dry but malty.

#58 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

A beer can still have a nice maltiness even when relatively dry, the Vienna and Munich in your recipe will help in that regard. Certain examples of German o'fest such as Hacker Pshcorr are like this dry but malty.

this is going to be a bad ass long brew day! low and long mash followed by a 90min boil. guess I don't need to do a ton of prep work before this day b/c I'll have plenty of time!

#59 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

this is going to be a bad ass long brew day! low and long mash followed by a 90min boil. guess I don't need to do a ton of prep work before this day b/c I'll have plenty of time!

I did a 90 mash/90 boil Saturday for a Belgian wasn't too long, about 5.5 hours. I always do my prep work during brewday outside of recipe formulation. Sometimes I even take a trip to the LHBS during the mash.

Edited by cavman, 10 November 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#60 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

I did a 90 mash/90 boil Saturday for a Belgian wasn't too long, about 5.5 hours. I always do my prep work during brewday outside of recipe formulation. Sometimes I even take a trip to the LHBS during the mash.

I can do 5 including clean up but that's with mrs. zym helping a little bit with clean up. The main area where I lose time is heating my strike water and then putting it in the cooler and waiting for it to stabilize so I can toss the grain in and hit my mash temp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users