#21 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

Sorry - I'm TopIt. I am brand new and I got the impression the topic here was asking for an inexpensive solution to carbonating a 10-gallon batch with twenty 2-liter bottles. Avoid spending twenty bucks for carbonator caps by making your own for pennies very quickly. Find an old football (preferably Wilson). Cut out the rubber inflation valve by cutting seam through pigskin sufficiently to remove rubber bladder. Cut the blob of rubber around the rubber inflation valve from the rubber bladder. Surgically remove the cast-in-place rubber inflation valve from the blob of rubber cast around it. Punch a hole in the center of a common 16-oz or 2-liter bottle cap (not the new Coca Cola 16-oz variety). Insert the rubber inflation valve into the hole inthe cap. Use the same inflation needle that is used to pump up a football to inject the pressurized CO2 N2 your brew. When the bottle feels really hard to the touch, U R probably sufficiently pumped up. If U don't have food grade CO2 injector, use a piece of dry ice the size of a common marble. Be sure you've left 4" air space from the top of the bottle. U can squeeze the bottle to remove all the air from that space B4 capping & carbonating. C www.bullanetwork.com/recarb for demo details or write to gageasebrkr@gmail.com

Welcome to the board. Actually the thread is about kegs "kicking" (or being drained) at inopportune times. Yeah, I bought carbonator caps and I like them because they are compatible with my ball lock keg system. I don't have to switch out any tubes on my C02 tank to fill pressurize my 2 liter bottle(s) and I'm not sure, under your method, how I attach an inflation needle to my 5 pound C02 tank. I'm not sure that the rubber bladder of a football is necessarily food grade. You will find that's a big source of topic around here. I have seen instructions for using stainless steel tire valve stems, but then you still have to overcome the adapter issue. Again, I'm only putting whatever is left in the keg into the bottle when I think I'm just about done. I'm not carbing and bottling my entire batch. This is just temporary for whatever is left or when I want to travel (i.e. Poker Night) with some homebrew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users