#1 mach5

mach5

Helibottle Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationColumbia, PA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

*cue dramatic music*Dun, dun, dun...[deep voice]THE KEG THAT WOULDN'T KICK![/deep voice]Maybe not entirely a bad thing...but when you are anxious to put that new brew on tap, sometimes that keg just does not want to kick. On the flip side though, it is Murphy's law that a keg will kick at the worst time...like when you have a bunch of buddies over and one starts bitching...hey, all I got was foam from the tap. ;)

#2 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:12 AM

...like when you have a bunch of buddies over and one starts bitching...hey, all I got was foam from the tap. ;)

and then leaves the tap in the open position for 5 minutes thinking the flowing CO2 will eventually turn into beer.

#3 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28610 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

and then leaves the tap in the open position for 5 minutes thinking the flowing CO2 will eventually turn into beer.

Thinks Odacrewm needs smarter friends...

#4 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Thinks Odacrewm needs smarter friends...

I think that brilliant move was from family. Their understanding is that when you pull the knob, beer comes out. They can't comprehend that there is a finite amount of beer in a vessel on the other end of a tube.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

I think that brilliant move was from family. Their understanding is that when you pull the knob, beer comes out. They can't comprehend that there is a finite amount of beer in a vessel on the other end of a tube.

Yeah... you can't do anything about family!My experience has been the keg kicks when someone is visiting!!!

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

I can relate to mach on this one. I am the primary drinker of my kegged beer. When I lift the keg and it feels light and think oh I am close. Then 12 pints and 3 nights later its gone. Sounds crazy but yes there are times when its time for it to kick. I have thought kegged beer seems endless at times.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

I can relate to mach on this one. I am the primary drinker of my kegged beer. When I lift the keg and it feels light and think oh I am close. Then 12 pints and 3 nights later its gone. Sounds crazy but yes there are times when its time for it to kick. I have thought kegged beer seems endless at times.

I keep a couple of empty 2 liter soda bottles and have a couple of carbonator caps for just such occasions. When I pick it up and it feels light... I put it into the 2 liter and clean the sucker out and get a new keg in the fridge.

#8 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28610 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

Usually I just need to bottle off the keg, nevers seems to fail that if I set out 8 bottles it'll kick on 6 or 14 bottles will kick on 13, etc. ;)

#9 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hell yes I have. I remember a couple years ago I made this raspberry wheat because my buddy wanted me too. It wasn't bad enough to dump but it wasn't good enough that I wanted to keep it around in a keg that I needed. Every evening I'd take a pull on that sucker until I finally got fed up and invited one of my buddies over to help me kill it in one sitting. That keg took us into the wee hours of the morning but we finally killed the fruity beast and I got my keg back.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

Wow now that sounded like a determined effort to kick that keg for sure.

#11 buzhazzard

buzhazzard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

When I know I am getting low on a certain keg, I refer to each pint poured as "the magic pint." Of course, the magic runs out when it is my pour.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

I give you brewers on here of 10 gallon batches a lot of credit thats for sure. Like I said earlier I brew and primarly drink most of my beer except for friends that come and take beer away. I often say I would lose my mind if I had 10 gallons of a beer vs 5 gallons. You guys must throw a lot of parties or have a lot of people over as well. When a keg here is ready to kick I am almost always ready to wave it good bye and say hello to the next one. Deerslyr I like your idea I might have to consider doing that too.

#13 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

I give you brewers on here of 10 gallon batches a lot of credit thats for sure. Like I said earlier I brew and primarly drink most of my beer except for friends that come and take beer away. I often say I would lose my mind if I had 10 gallons of a beer vs 5 gallons. You guys must throw a lot of parties or have a lot of people over as well. When a keg here is ready to kick I am almost always ready to wave it good bye and say hello to the next one. Deerslyr I like your idea I might have to consider doing that too.

I guess it's time to start drinking more. I make everything except big beers in 10 gallon batches and we move through them pretty quick around here.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

I agree with you. I've only made 1 ten gallon batch. That was an IPA and I actually fermented with 2 different yeasts. US 05 and Nottingham. I've got the US 05 on tap right now, along with a Fat Tire. When the US 05 goes, I'll hook up the Nottingham. But I had to make that Fat Tire because I know I could not have tolerated having 2 IPA's on tap at the same time. I should probably pick up my US 05 tonight and see how it's doing. Might be getting close and Poker Night is coming up June 6.

#15 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

My solution to this is to get more kegs!I do 10 gallon batches for the value of time and effort on brew day. I don't drink an asinine amount to go through the amount of beer I produce in a reasonable amount of time, so I age it. I am glad I have enough kegs to feel comfortable aging beers for years at a time. If I had significantly fewer kegs, then I would be more concerned about using a keg for something else, and only doing 5 gallon batches.

#16 TopIt

TopIt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

I agree with you. I've only made 1 ten gallon batch. That was an IPA and I actually fermented with 2 different yeasts. US 05 and Nottingham. I've got the US 05 on tap right now, along with a Fat Tire. When the US 05 goes, I'll hook up the Nottingham. But I had to make that Fat Tire because I know I could not have tolerated having 2 IPA's on tap at the same time. I should probably pick up my US 05 tonight and see how it's doing. Might be getting close and Poker Night is coming up June 6.

Sorry - I'm TopIt. I am brand new and I got the impression the topic here was asking for an inexpensive solution to carbonating a 10-gallon batch with twenty 2-liter bottles. Avoid spending twenty bucks for carbonator caps by making your own for pennies very quickly. Find an old football (preferably Wilson). Cut out the rubber inflation valve by cutting seam through pigskin sufficiently to remove rubber bladder. Cut the blob of rubber around the rubber inflation valve from the rubber bladder. Surgically remove the cast-in-place rubber inflation valve from the blob of rubber cast around it. Punch a hole in the center of a common 16-oz or 2-liter bottle cap (not the new Coca Cola 16-oz variety). Insert the rubber inflation valve into the hole inthe cap. Use the same inflation needle that is used to pump up a football to inject the pressurized CO2 N2 your brew. When the bottle feels really hard to the touch, U R probably sufficiently pumped up. If U don't have food grade CO2 injector, use a piece of dry ice the size of a common marble. Be sure you've left 4" air space from the top of the bottle. U can squeeze the bottle to remove all the air from that space B4 capping & carbonating. C www.bullanetwork.com/recarb for demo details or write to gageasebrkr@gmail.com

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54504 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Every time I have a keg like that, I say (on a Saturday afternoon or something)... I'm gonna kill that keg today! Sometime around 11pm, I'm heavily impaired and the keg is still flowing. Other times... you think the keg is AT LEAST half full and it blows. I swear, my 9-year-old must have drank half my keg of Oktoberfest Lager this year. I honestly don't know where it all went. :P :P :smilielol:

#18 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Yup, the eveready battery keg, just keeps going. They are weird like that occasionally. Just enjoy, the last is usually the best..........

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

normally when I know I'm almost at the end of the keg I turn off the CO2. there is plenty in the head space to push out the remaining beer and the pressure won't drop enough to affect carbonation.

#20 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:27 AM

I have a keg now that im trying to empty, i filled a 2 quart jug to the top and drank four 16 oz glasses that evening, skipped an evening , and last night had three more glasses and it still flows. Got to be on fumes . Maybe tonight, its funny how you wish the beer to run out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users