#21 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

I have noticed a distinct Brett character in a number of English ciders. Flavor wise if there was any sacch in there at all it was playing a secondary role to the brett. It's worth noting that I've only noticed this in English ciders and England is where brett gets its name.

#22 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

Still no action on my end I think it's time to try something different. We're looking at 6 days with no activity and no change in gravity. Should I....1. Mix with 5 gallons straight mead (1# honey/5 gallons) and hope the active fermentation of the cider will pick things up a bit. There is a slight chance I double sulphited this batch and the dillution may help.2. Try pitching a third variety of yeast since there is a slim chance both yeasts were DOA3. pitch my house sour culture since it will eat everything and anything

Edited by EWW, 22 October 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#23 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

Signs of fermentation this AM. I still can't figure out exactly what happened with this carboy

#24 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

how is everybody's wild cider doing? On day 3 mine started to ferment to the point where I gave it a slosh and it foamed up but now it's back to doing nothing. I checked the gravity and it says 1.058 . I gave it a slosh and not much if any CO2 released. Basement temp is 62F.

#25 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

how is everybody's wild cider doing? On day 3 mine started to ferment to the point where I gave it a slosh and it foamed up but now it's back to doing nothing. I checked the gravity and it says 1.058 . I gave it a slosh and not much if any CO2 released. Basement temp is 62F.

My temp is around 68. Seeing the airlock blip every 2-3 seconds. No gravity taken. I hit it with a little nutrient for the first few days. Seems to be a healthy ferment.

#26 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

I'm just confused by this wild fermentation thing. It acts sort of like it is fermenting (foams and outgasses with agitation) but it still is saying 1.060 SG. Now, this morning, it has a dark layer of foam/crud on it but no real active fermentation signs. I assume if it were to turn to vinegar it would also drop SG since acetic and water are the same density. :devil:

Have you tasted your gravity sample? If it comes from a commercial press there may not be many wee beasties on it and you may be experiencing a super long lag phase where the yeast is multiplying but you don't see much drop in gravity. Kind of a wild ass guess, but it's the only thing I can think of. If you're worried about it you could always throw in some commercial yeast and fnish it off that way.

#27 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

I've had mine at that temp since pressing. Happy to hear things are working well. Any nutrients?

#28 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

Why the go-ferm?

#29 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

This morning it now has about 6 inches of foam! :cheers: I did add go-ferm, fermaid-k, and DAP at the beginning. I also added the second step nutrients when I thought I was getting initial fermentation last week.

I still got nothing but you did start a day ahead of me. I didn't add any nutrients. Maybe I should think about that if it continues to do nothing.

#30 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

Are you keeping it warm? Nutrients would probably be a good thing too.

It's in my basement so temp is about 63°F. I know that's on the cooler side but not that bad.

#31 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

Mine has been slow going also but it looks like it's gaining a bit of traction. I've been keeping mine colder than you guys have. I took a sample last night and the gravity hasn't changed but there's definitely fermentation going on. It foams if I shake the carboy and there were small bubbles in the gravity sample. I tasted it and it was different than it was prior to the start of fermentation. Hard to say different how, exactly but it tasted good.

#32 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13044 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

I'll be sure to keep this lag time in mind. I called last Saturday as I figured they would have been pressing but I was wrong. I have my order in for 12gls and am hopeful they will call tomorrow or Saturday. I plan on a wild ferment for one batch.

#33 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

Mine is almost done, siting at 1.010 this morning. Down from 1.060.

Mine are getting close to terminal gravity as well. How long does everyone plan on letting these sit on the lees before transfer to secondary?

#34 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:54 AM

Mine has finally developed what I'd call a krausen. The last couple days it was more a collection of big bubbles but as of today it's more of a tight foam. Once it subsides I'll take a gravity reading but from the looks of it the fermentation is in no rush.

#35 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13044 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

Orchard called and I picked up my 12 gls today. Pitched 71B in one and going to let the other run it's course. I will say starting 10 gls of cider is waaaaaaay easier than 10 gls of beer.One fringe benefit that didn't occur to me until I got there was wood. Got to talking with the owner and asked when he last pruned his trees. His answer was early spring.Do you have a pile of wood somewhere?Yep, a real big one.Mind if I pilfer through it a little?Help yourself to all you want. :P

#36 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

Orchard called and I picked up my 12 gls today. Pitched 71B in one and going to let the other run it's course. I will say starting 10 gls of cider is waaaaaaay easier than 10 gls of beer.One fringe benefit that didn't occur to me until I got there was wood. Got to talking with the owner and asked when he last pruned his trees. His answer was early spring.Do you have a pile of wood somewhere?Yep, a real big one.Mind if I pilfer through it a little?Help yourself to all you want. :1zhelp:

mmmapple smoked pRok

#37 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

I just pulled some samples the slow to start Nottingham and 71B batch. Sitting at about 1.005. Tasty for as young as it is. Rough alcohol still with a nice apple flavor and tartness. Early sample shows promise.The wild ferment is at .098. Same roughness, but a little less tart. Makes me think the English yeast is playing up the tartness in the apples a bit. It has the beginnings of a nice 'round' character for lack of a better term. If I didn't have any other booze in the house I'd drink it as is.the WLP English cider batch is around 1.000. Lots of sulphur on the nose (this will probably disapate). Taste is my least favorite of the 3 straight ciders. I really hope this comes around with some age...it's really hard to get past the sulphur.The fig & currant cyser with dark and amber Candi sugar is at 1.015ish and zOMG so tasty. Alcohol hotness, but the residual sugar and fruit notes cover it nicely. I'm still seeing airlock activity so I'm not concerned about this stalling out.

Edited by EWW, 03 November 2010 - 07:38 PM.

#38 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13044 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

I apologize for hijacking Eww's thread, but here goes. Gravity readings are: 71B @ 1.096Wild Ferment: 1.010The wild of course is sweeter but has more of an apple flavor. Not for sure if this will subside as it dries out but so far both batches are showing promise.

#39 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:58 AM

I apologize for hijacking Eww's thread, but here goes. Gravity readings are: 71B @ 1.096Wild Ferment: 1.010The wild of course is sweeter but has more of an apple flavor. Not for sure if this will subside as it dries out but so far both batches are showing promise.

Hijack away!:)happy to hear the batches are working out for you. I'm not sure how much more the natural ferment will continue to dry out for you.

Edited by EWW, 17 November 2010 - 06:59 AM.

#40 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

I transfered 2 of the 3 straight ciders today. I decided to leave the natural ferment on the yeast a bit longer. I made a spur of the moment decision an pitched consecration dregs into the WLP cider. I'm not sure what to expect from this, but it should be interesting.I'll transfer the natural cider and cysers in a few more weeks. All are progressing well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users