#1 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

The applesPosted ImageI forgot to get a shot of all the totes when they were full, but this will give you an idea of the scalePosted Imagesome random shots from th dayPosted ImagePosted Imagethe end productPosted ImagePosted Imagetotal apple weight was between 2,100-2,400 lbstotal yield was ~110 gallonscider OG = 1.052cider PH = 4.1my take home = 26 gallonsmy plan is 10 gallons fall's bounty varient, 10 gallons KMETAed hard cider with commercial yeast, and 5 gallons wild fermented ciderthis was a really fun event and we are looking to expand it for next year

Edited by EWW, 16 October 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#2 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

So very jealous.

You should be, the raw cider is out of this world.

#3 fatbloke

fatbloke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK - South Coast

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

Nice !Me ? It'd have to be some Cyser, but I'd have to find a nice strong plastic fermenter and make some Cider (probably "hard" cider to you....) as well. Just chuck it in a pressure barrel, add the yeast and leave it alone......Well done, nice pics...regardsfatbloke

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

awesome. There really is nothing quite like the taste and smell of fresh pressed cider. This is one of those products that store bought really doesn't come anywhere close to the real thing. :devil:

#5 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

I just reread my initial post while looking at my notes and the PH is wrong in the OP. Actual PH was 3.2. Just added pectic enzyme to the 25 gallons that will be fermented. Sipping a glass of raw cider with my breakfast and nursing a sore back.

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Everything is mixed and pitchedPosted Imagefrom left to right:traditional mead with local wildflower honeyunsulphured cidersulphured cider with Nottinghamsulphured cider with WLP English Cider Yeast mission fig and currant cysershould be some good drinking next fall

Edited by EWW, 17 October 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#7 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

Everything except the Nottingham batch is active. If I don't see some activity soon I'll probably repitch with some 71B and gradually add 5-6 pounds of honey to it

#8 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

Everything except the Nottingham batch is active. If I don't see some activity soon I'll probably repitch with some 71B and gradually add 5-6 pounds of honey to it

You may want to check the batch number on the Nottingham. Heard on another board that there was a recall.BTW, nice haul!

#9 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Did you sulphite the same amount? The WLP started? How much sulphite did you use and how long did you let it sit before pitching? You might have a sulphur content that is too high for Nottingham to work in. It might take off in another day.

Same amount of KMETA - 1 campden tab/gallon with a PH of 3.2 put me at the correct ppm. I added the KMETA when I filled the jugs. Waited 12 hrs and added some pectic enzyme and then waited another 8-9 hours before pitching. I figured it was close enough to 24 hrs that the SO2 rates would be low enough fo the yeast. The WLP started, but I did a 1.5 qt starter with it and piched at high krausen, so that may be helping me out a bit. I don't have the Nottingham package anymore, so if it's bad yeast I'll have to adapt. If I have to pitch some 71B and make a straight cyser out of it there are worse things that could happen to me then having more cyser.

#10 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'd give it until tomorrow morning before making the decision, unless you just want more cyser. You can never have enough of either.

Yeah I'm not too concerned about it. It may be nice to have a straight cyser though, so I may end up piching the 71B and adding some honey when I get home tonight if things haven't picked up a bit.

#11 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

WANTHow many mills and presses did you have running, and how long did it take?

#12 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:40 AM

WANTHow many mills and presses did you have running, and how long did it take?

About 11 people were able to do this with 2 mills and 3 presses in about 7 hrs with about a 30-45 min break for lunch. It really helped to have a crew chopping the apples to ensure we always had something to fill the mills to keep the presses full.

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

Yeah I'm not too concerned about it. It may be nice to have a straight cyser though, so I may end up piching the 71B and adding some honey when I get home tonight if things haven't picked up a bit.

Still no activity this AM when I left for work. Pitched some 71B yesterday in hopes it would jump start fermentation...nothing. I thought I'd atleast see positive pressure in the airlock after 24 hrs of pitching new yeast. Suggestions? I can't for the life of me figure out why this won't start up...

#14 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

Have you taken SG readings? Sometimes there is no visual cues, but somehow it is fermenting. Other than that - did you give nutrients? Temperature? pH?

No SG has been taken, but the juice is crystal clear (thanks to the pectic enzyme) with no sign of yeast doing their jobfollowing the SNAtemp is sitting at around 65-70ph was 3.2 and I don't imagine it's changed

#15 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

One of the 2 ciders I KMETA'd and hit with commercial yeast (it now has both Nottingham and 71B) is the one that's stalled. The wild ferment from the 1880s press was alive and kicking (positive airlock pressure) after 18 hrs.

#16 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

Bah - reading comprehension issues while drinking. :unsure:

No worries, I just thought that was your subtle attempt at a hyjack. B) I've read similar things about needing to build a yeast population in the wood of the press before you get a good ferment. This makes me think that the yeast used on many wild cider press is a cleaner Brett strain that resides in the wood. I haven't been able to find any specific info on it but I would imagine that the quality of wild yeast may depend on an area's microclimate. I attempted to culture yeast off some local apple skins, but the resulting test sample tasted as bad as the Tacoma aroma smells. The 1880s press I used on the wild fermented cider has resided at the base of mt St helens for over a 100 years. If my theory is correct about the yeast should be good.

#17 Marmot

Marmot

Advanced "Member"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationI am definitely not Weeper

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Three things:1. What type of apples? Did you do a blend of apples?2. GD orchard at home lost my two Better Bottle carboys. My dad dropped them off with his contact info on them and the orchard was to call when they filled them. My dad stopped at the orchard a couple weeks after leaving the carboys there. They cannot find them. He stopped a second time a few days ago (three weeks have passed since initial drop off). They cannot find them. I am not sure if I should request a 50 dollar bill from the orchard to replace my lost property.3. I really need to finish my homemade press and build a garbage disposal grinder.Marmot

#18 Marmot

Marmot

Advanced "Member"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationI am definitely not Weeper

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

I always thought a blend of apples made superior cider (even though I have not made cider before).Marmot

#19 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25595 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

3. I really need to finish my homemade press and build a garbage disposal grinder.Marmot

I did. It was fun. The garbage disposal part was pretty easy.Here is a resource.https://www.whizbangcider.com/They also have a yahoo group.

#20 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26170 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

Oh I know the sacch is in the fruit, but I've read conflicting info about sacch's ability to live in a wood medium for extended times with little food available

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users