55 replies to this topic

#41 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23568 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

Ya, I'm finishing off this June 6 pack tonight. It's better than any SA I've had, but not the best SN I've had. I'm gonna look at that julian next time!

#42 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

If I remember correctly, SA packages Boston Lager with a fair amount of diacetyl precursor in it, so as it ages the diacetyl increases. I haven't had an SA in awhile though, so I'm not sure I'm remembering the correct brand.

I think that may be it. I did have a SA Octoberfest a few weeks ago that was on tap. It was OK. Overall give me a SN anytime.

#43 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25632 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

In the hypothetical example of being offered a case of Sierra Nevada variety pack and a case of Sam Adams variety pack.I would pick Sierra Nevada without hesitiation.And with this litmus test, the thread is now closed.

#44 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:40 AM

:rolleyes:The first 4 numbers are all that you really need to know. The others are for us if there is an issue.Just know what date it was bottled. The younger the better (you will never see a Pale in the market under 21 days old).MolBasser

I drank one that was 2 months old just yesterday.... made it to spain pretty quick. Tasted better than any SA I've ever had but I WAS craving hops. We get pretty damn good boston lager on tap on the east coast of canada - fresh and in keg it's a nice brew.... needs more hops though. :devil:

#45 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Mo012211426First number is 0= 2010 Next 3 numbers is the julian date 122= May 2I am not getting the decoding logic here. How is 122= May 2? What would Dec 2 date code be?

#46 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

Mo012211426First number is 0= 2010 Next 3 numbers is the julian date 122= May 2I am not getting the decoding logic here. How is 122= May 2? What would Dec 2 date code be?

Dec 2 would be 336 as it is the 336th day of the year. May 2 is the 122nd day of the year, Jan 1 would be 001, etc.

#47 HERMSman

HERMSman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Julian date is days since the first of the year. You are thinking of the Gergorian calendar, which is the normal day/month.Julian date is 122 for Gregorian May 2nd. Gregorian December 2nd is equal to 336 Julian date.https://www.fs.fed.u...ok/julian.shtml

Thanks that makes sense now. I just downloaded an app for my Iphone JulianCalc. I can now join the rest of you that got it originally.

#48 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23568 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

Right now you wanna be shooting for something over 225, preferrably over 250 julian. My June six pack left a LOT to be desired.

#49 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

+1 Life is good when one is buried in the aroma of love! Don't wash those clothes. Did everybody you saw that day go "what is that smell?". Scratch that, does the whole freaking place smell hoppy????

That room is "heaven" from the moment Basser opens the door for you! The Basser Tour is worth it JUST to go into THAT room!!!!I thought I had died... didn't want to leave.

#50 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

The comparison is silly.... All taste is subjective. Someone who doesn't like hoppy beers would pick SA's flagship ale and lager over SN's offerings.

Bingo! We have a winner. There is truly no comparison. Sam Adams makes a lot of stuff really well, as does Sierra Nevada. They really don't have a lot of crossover between styles either, so how can you compare.Since when are there so many SA bashers out there anyway? I bet some of the same folks were loving it when they were practically giving away hops during the hop shortage.

#51 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

Bingo! We have a winner. There is truly no comparison. Sam Adams makes a lot of stuff really well, as does Sierra Nevada. They really don't have a lot of crossover between styles either, so how can you compare.Since when are there so many SA bashers out there anyway? I bet some of the same folks were loving it when they were practically giving away hops during the hop shortage.

I like and dislike beers made by both breweries. Mostly like though.

#52 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

comparing sn to sa is like comparing apples to syphilis.

#53 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23568 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Drinking a 024221123 tonight. Life is gooood.

#54 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

I have always said that SNPA tastes better the closer you get to Chico, CA. Probably true with Sam Adams too. I have never liked their Boston Lager very much, but I do like their Oktoberfest.I am really picky about which 12 pack I will take home when I get SNPA. Thanks, basser, for telling me how to read the codes!Cheers,Rich

+1

#55 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

make some hop cologne and mr. shiny pants will b3e perfume for the SWMBO and I'll be a happy guy.

FTFY

#56 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

Love all the talk about freshness.It is important, and as beer consumers we all need to be aware of how fresh our beer is.In all reality, most beers go down hill as soon as they are bottled (some huge barley wines and stouts can handle aging). IPAs are particularly suceptible to aging problems.Learning how to understand date codes for all your favorite breweries is important. If you can't figure it out, call them. Ask how you can be sure their product is fresh.Life is too short for old beer!MolBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users