Photo
- - - - -

With whom to you usuallly brew

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is on your brew day team? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose what you do most often

1. Me, myself, and IPA (50 votes [69.44%])

Percentage of vote: 69.44%

2. Brewing assistant/buddy (13 votes [18.06%])

Percentage of vote: 18.06%

3. SWMBO/family (9 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Group/club (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28532 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

I pretty much just brew solo. I manually lift the sparge water, gravity drain the wort and pump through the chiller.

#22 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

I generally brew by myself. I invite other sometimes, but they usually just watch as I explain and do things. The couple of times I had a fellow brewer come over though, it was great, as we could talk about more in depth topics, and he could actually help me do things, rather than just watch. Those two times were very short brew days, and it is definitely nice to brew with someone who knows how to help.I do like to bring over that don't know though, as it may interest them in the hobby and get them started. I always offer to take care of fermentation and everything if they pay for at least half of the ingredients. I think this is a gateway to get them started, as I can control the fermentation temps, and can make sure we are making 'good' beer - at least better than if they were left by themselves without the ability to manage yeast and fermentation temps. (remember the good old days when pitching one vial of yeast seemed to be good enough?)

#23 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

I brew alone. Have an occasional Person drop in to see the process of making beer. Thought about joining the local brew club but my work schedule and off work work doesn't give me time to participate.

#24 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:32 AM

Most of the time alone, early AM before the heat of the day. Will occasionally brew with someone else, and a lot of times that's a club newbee looking to get started.

#25 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:42 AM

My bud Ironkite and I generally brew together.We have to haul gear from my shed to set up, and then reverse the order for tear down.Obviously the time is 1/2 of what it would be if it was only me.In addition he's watching the boil while I prep the conical and sanitize the feed hose.So brewing together we get a lot more done.Besides, he's a pretty cool guy.

#26 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:50 AM

I typically do everyting myself & g/f hangs out and watches and talks, although she will do the clean-up of the smaller items. Occasionally a buddy will stop by & watch/drink. My son just came home for summer break and is interested in learning, so I may have an apprentice for a few months. :cheers:

#27 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:56 AM

I used to have a brewing partner, but he pissed me off so I'm brewing alone again and enjoy it a lot more!!

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54301 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

I have been to "brew gatherings" where the host is brewing and everyone else is drinking and talking. I have had a buddy over to watch an AG batch, but that's the extent of it. Otherwise I'm by myself. Plus... I brew during the week almost always. I have 3 active kids and the weekend schedule is WAY too crazy to brew. I am self-employed and work at home most of the time so weekday brewing is perfect as long as I have the time. Since it's almost always early weekdays, it's usually me, myself and coffee. :cheers:

#29 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

My wife loves to brew herself, so she is usually around, will help with anything I need. Usually that just consists of taking care of the munchies, but I ask for her advice from time to time, and vice versa. Many times she's brewing, so I just do the heavy lifting for her and can feel free to drink and not worry about screwing anything up. I also have a very good friend/apprentice who loves to come by and help on brew-day so that he can soak up knowledge and have some homebrew. I try to reserve ten gallon batches for when he's coming over so that I have some help with the lifting.My house is kind of prone to turning into a neighborhood get-together anyway, so sometimes there will be as many as 12-15 ppl. at the crib. It is fun, but I agree that it can be a distraction sometimes.

#30 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

My wife loves to brew herself, so she is usually around, will help with anything I need. Usually that just consists of taking care of the munchies, but I ask for her advice from time to time, and vice versa. Many times she's brewing, so I just do the heavy lifting for her and can feel free to drink and not worry about screwing anything up.

Sounds like a keeper, can I borrow her!?! J/k my gf is supportive of my hobby and allows me to use her garage (I live in a small apt.), although she gets pissed when I leave cups and kitchen towels out there. Has no interest in brewing for herself, though.

#31 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28206 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

I say it's about 1/2 and 1/2. I either brew alone, or sometimes DownEastBrewer comes over. Once in a while we will have a group brew and like 4 people come over and all brew.MB

#32 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

I generally brew alone. I've had a lot of fun brewing with Rob Oyster (azmtnbiker from the green board), but generally brew alone. It's just not possible for me to take all my gear anywhere else to brew.

#33 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

I really prefer brewing alone.

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

The major issue with having a brew partner, for me, is that they usually don't know my system so they end up just watching me do most of the stuff. Not very helpful for me, and boring for them. I think you really need to have someone do it with you quite a bit for them to get up to speed. Esecially if they're not a brewer themself.

#35 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

I can only hit my Zen in brewing when I am alone, and thus do not have explain my actions and strategies. Whenever I have had a buddy over for brewing, I find I miss the mark, or forget something more often, because talking about what I'm doing is a distraction to me.

+1I do like the company, but most of the time it's a distraction. Maybe it's because the friend that usually comes over is a lazy sack, has no interest in helping and just wants to drink my beer.

#36 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

I really prefer brewing alone.

Denny Thoroughgood and the Oregon Destroyers.I KNOW that tune!

#37 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2666 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

I'm alone most of the time. There was maybe a year or two where swmbo would help or at least hang out and ask questions. We'd sometimes brew on a Friday or Saturday evening and turn it into kind of an at home date and listen to music. Funny though, she always seemed to disappear right before it was time to clean up. She's mostly lost interest now, so I'm back to by myself, which I enjoy also.A few times I've brewed with a friend or two that are also into brewing.

#38 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

when i was learning i was by myself, but now that i'm getting into the rythim of it SWMBO is wanting to learn also, I taught her how to make fruit wines and now a wine kit, she's relly pleased with what she has accomplished, so i will have a good brew partner who's not shy about any part of it.

#39 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Most of the time I brew alone and early, but occasionally I'll brew with a group.

#40 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Occasionally there's a brew club big brew day, but other than that it's almost always solo. Which I enjoy really. It's time for me, just doing something by myself. :rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users