#41 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

I ferment in glass carboys, with an airlock. This is the first time fermenting outside of one.So far as the fermentation is concerned, its still pretty stinky, it looks the same as it did several days ago. I am starting to get worried that the yeast are too happy to be on top and aren't doing their job underneath. The only thing I have to go on is the continued strong smell of fermentation that prevails through the whole house. :lol: I haven't taken a gravity reading since brew day.Cheers,Rich

#42 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

I ferment in glass carboys, with an airlock. This is the first time fermenting outside of one.So far as the fermentation is concerned, its still pretty stinky, it looks the same as it did several days ago. I am starting to get worried that the yeast are too happy to be on top and aren't doing their job underneath. The only thing I have to go on is the continued strong smell of fermentation that prevails through the whole house. :lol: I haven't taken a gravity reading since brew day.Cheers,Rich

Rich,I'm going to lay off the "should he/shouldn't he"... at least until you give definitive results. As for the krausen on top and your not being sure of what's going on underneath... you are spoiled at having used glass carboys so that you can see the activity going on. My plastic fermenters, although you can see the level of the fermenting beer, you can't see any activity going on. Just too opaque to tell. An airlock and my nose is the only indicator that anything is going on. You'll get no sympathy from me. :unsure: Say, are you planning on kegging or bottling these? I would suggest (highly reccomend) bottling. At least bottle half of it so you can see the difference. I love getting the yeast in the glass to make it nice and cloudy. If you want to bottle half, just pick up some carb tabs... makes it pretty easy.

#43 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

Rich,I'm going to lay off the "should he/shouldn't he"... at least until you give definitive results. As for the krausen on top and your not being sure of what's going on underneath... you are spoiled at having used glass carboys so that you can see the activity going on. My plastic fermenters, although you can see the level of the fermenting beer, you can't see any activity going on. Just too opaque to tell. An airlock and my nose is the only indicator that anything is going on. You'll get no sympathy from me. :lol: Say, are you planning on kegging or bottling these? I would suggest (highly reccomend) bottling. At least bottle half of it so you can see the difference. I love getting the yeast in the glass to make it nice and cloudy. If you want to bottle half, just pick up some carb tabs... makes it pretty easy.

You said the "B" word. I hate... grrrr... bottling. I hate it with a passion. I have a zillion bottles in my garage though. Why would bottling it make a difference? Do you think the natural carbonation makes it tastier? Or is it just a aesthetic thing? Cheers,Rich

#44 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10748 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

I think he recommending bottling for the yeast in suspension. I have a hefe on tap now and in a keg you still get a good bit of yeast in each glass. You can always shake the keg if you want more yeast.

#45 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

I reccomended it to ensure that you get yeast in suspension. Bottling a case isn't as bad as you think. Rack it to your keg as you normally would, seat the lid with enough pressure and then dial the pressure down to about 2 to 5. Just enough to push some beer. Jam your bottling wand in the picnic tap, open up the picnic tap and fill the bottles as you normally would (after having cleaned, sanitized, and dropped in the carb tabs). I did 3 batches in a row this way so I could take bottles on vacation. If you do it this way, you can bottle as much or as little as you want. Handy for preparing a 6 pack for competition, but keeping the rest in the keg. If you wanted to, and had the patience, you can sugar prime the entire keg and skip having to buy carb tabs. This would give you more of the yeast in what you do keep in the keg. Yes, you do have to let it sit for a couple of weeks to carb up, but you will also be hooking it up to gas, so if you miss the target on carbonation, you can still adjust it. But your bottles will be fine.Just my $.02.

#46 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

120 Hours and still fermenting away. Yeast bed is still on top, happy as a clam.Cheers,Rich

#47 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

139 Hours and it looks like some of the yeast must have fallen during the day and started refermenting because its snap crackling and pooping furiously again.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageCheers,Rich

#48 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10748 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

139 Hours and it looks like some of the yeast must have fallen during the day and started refermenting because its snap crackling and pooping furiously again.Cheers,Rich

Good thread. I hope that is Popping not Pooping

#49 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

... I'd be concerned that a fruit fly would smell the fermentation and fly through a crack in the door and into the beer, bringing acetobacter or some other contaminant, and die happy.

ftfy :cheers:

#50 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

Good thread. I hope that is Popping not Pooping

I thought pooping (and urinating) was what the yeast actually did to produce the alcohol... :frank:

#51 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

Well, I might have an infection.Everything looked fine Saturday morning and I was going to rack it to secondary and let it sit for a week in the swamp cooler, but I got invited to go fishing Saturday afternoon and I forgot about it.Then Yesterday I woke up late and forgot about it again when i went golfing with my buddies.I checked on it this morning and the yeast has fallen and now there are white spots floating on the surface. I didn't have time to do anything to it so I will take care of it when I get home form work today.I post a picture tonight and hopefully you guys can help me decide if this is just residue and I should continue as planned, or whether this is an infection and it should be dumped.Thanks,Rich

#52 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

Pull a sample. Take a gravity reading. Smell and taste it. Your nose and taste buds will tell more than a picture. You probably should have racked it between the 120 and 139 hour mark.

#53 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

Well, I might have an infection.Everything looked fine Saturday morning and I was going to rack it to secondary and let it sit for a week in the swamp cooler, but I got invited to go fishing Saturday afternoon and I forgot about it.Then Yesterday I woke up late and forgot about it again when i went golfing with my buddies.I checked on it this morning and the yeast has fallen and now there are white spots floating on the surface. I didn't have time to do anything to it so I will take care of it when I get home form work today.I post a picture tonight and hopefully you guys can help me decide if this is just residue and I should continue as planned, or whether this is an infection and it should be dumped.Thanks,Rich

could just be yeast floaties.

#54 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

Pull a sample. Take a gravity reading. Smell and taste it. Your nose and taste buds will tell more than a picture. You probably should have racked it between the 120 and 139 hour mark.

could just be yeast floaties.

Yeah, I got busy this weekend and forgot about it. I'll take a sample and check. What should I look for in taste if its infected?Cheers,Rich

#55 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, I got busy this weekend and forgot about it. I'll take a sample and check. What should I look for in taste if its infected?Cheers,Rich

I think sour is common. I haven't had a lot of experience here (thank you beer gods!!).

#56 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:21 AM

Depending upon what is in there, lactic acid (sour), acetic acid (vinegar), if you got Megasphera... vomit. :frank:

#57 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

Don't worry... you will KNOW if its infected once you taste it. FWIW, I've had some beers that have a mass of protein floating on top. Nasty looking, but was great tasting.

#58 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19229 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Step 1. Find a wet horseStep 2. Lick the horseStep 3. Now you know what Brett tastes like!Step 4. ...Step 5. Profit!

#59 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Step 1. Find a wet horseStep 2. Lick the horseStep 3. Now you know what Brett tastes like!Step 4. ...Step 5. Profit!

I'm not sure I've ever tasted brett :frank:

#60 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

I'm not sure I've ever tasted brett :frank:

Who is Brett?

0 user(s) are reading this topic