#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

I brewed a hefeweizen tonight. I saw a video on brewingtv.com about open fermentation, plus the Sierra Nevada video, and I am intrigued. So, instead of putting the hefeweizen in a carboy and into my swamp cooler, I am breaking tradition for this, just my 11th beer ever, and letting it open ferment. The guys at brewingtv.com just used a bucket to ferment in and that seemed to work just fine. I wanted to create more surface area to be more in the traditional fashion of open fermenting so I am fermenting in my mash tun, a 70 qt coleman extreme. It has about 3X the surface area of a five gallon bucket, but not as much as the guy that does it commercially in the video. So, its mad scientist brewing time!I will update this thread with pictures over the next 4 weeks as this beer takes form. As soon as my camera charges I'll get the initial pic.Cheers,Rich

#2 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

I recommend putting something loose fitting on top to prevent bacteria from falling in. Places like Sierra Nevada control the air in the room, but there's not reason you couldn't just stretch some sanitized foil over your fermenter to achieve open fermentation, same as with a starter.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

The top to the cooler is cracked. I ain't skeerd!!!Cheers,Rich

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

By the way, Since this hefeweizen is topless, I dubbed it Bare Chested Hefeweizen. :frank:

#5 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:05 AM

By the way, Since this hefeweizen is topless, I dubbed it Bare Chested Hefeweizen. :frank:

I like it.Definitely show the pics.When i did my open ferment i used a cloth tied over the top of a large bucket.Maybe it wasn't technically an open ferment but i used no air lock or lid.let us know how this one goes.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

My camera is dead, and I left my phone at work. It's been 17 hours and there is a small krausen, not very thick, building on the top. I'm charging the camera, hopefully pics will follow.Cheers,Rich

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

Posted ImageHere it is in my magnificent mash tun, the Coleman Extreme, Bare Chested Hefeweizen right after pitching.Posted ImageAnd here we are after 22 hours, creamy white bubbles abound. The smell isn't too strong and it smells about like most other ferments I did in the swamp cooler: sweet, but subdued. Cheers,Rich

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

Posted ImageHere it is in my magnificent mash tun, the Coleman Extreme, Bare Chested Hefeweizen right after pitching.Posted ImageAnd here we are after 22 hours, creamy white bubbles abound. The smell isn't too strong and it smells about like most other ferments I did in the swamp cooler: sweet, but subdued. Cheers,Rich

better hope there are no fruit flies around :frank:

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

better hope there are no fruit flies around :frank:

Its in the back room, door closed, the lid is cracked about 2 inches. No one ever goes in that room except me, we just store stuff in there.Cheers,Rich

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Word, so the lid basically prevents other bugger from falling in? That's what I'm talking about.

#11 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19229 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Its in the back room, door closed, the lid is cracked about 2 inches. No one ever goes in that room except me, we just store stuff in there.Cheers,Rich

It will be interesting to see how that turns out.I'd be concerned that a fruit fly would smell the fermentation and fly through a crack in the door and into the beer, bringing acetobacter or some other contaminant.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:52 AM

It will be interesting to see how that turns out.I'd be concerned that a fruit fly would smell the fermentation and fly through a crack in the door and into the beer, bringing acetobacter or some other contaminant.

I'd be concerned about using my mash tun for a fermenter! :blink: I guess the good thing is that mash tun doesn't seem like it's seen as much action as mine.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

I'd be concerned about using my mash tun for a fermenter! :blink: I guess the good thing is that mash tun doesn't seem like it's seen as much action as mine.

Only 11 batches, and I cleaned it out really well with oxyclean and then a starsan bath. Can you think of a better food grade fermenter with as much surface area for cheap?Cheers,Rich

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:20 AM

Only 11 batches, and I cleaned it out really well with oxyclean and then a starsan bath. Can you think of a better food grade fermenter with as much surface area for cheap?Cheers,Rich

not particularly. the insulation factor is an interesting twist on this. what have the temps been like? (sorry if I missed that post - I just skimmed the thread)

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:24 AM

33 HoursPosted ImageShould I skim the surface and get rid of the brown stuff?Notes: Much more banana smell now, but still not overpowering.Cheers,Rich

#16 Starderup

Starderup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

33 HoursShould I skim the surface and get rid of the brown stuff?Notes: Much more banana smell now, but still not overpowering.Cheers,Rich

i wouldn't skim anything. Treat it like any other ferment.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

i wouldn't skim anything. Treat it like any other ferment.

That's my thoughts were too. I normally would just let it do its thing and forget about it for a week. I will have to rouse the yeast when it falls though I think. That did make sense to me in the video.Cheers,Rich

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

45 Hours: When I got home from work today there was a definite beer odor and it got stronger as I got to the spare room. When I opened the door it was strong bananas and what I can only describe as over ripe fruit, not rotten, but just getting there. I still don't know what cloves smell like so I dont know if that is there or not.No change visibly, the yeast is still high up top and you can hear the snap crackle pop of the CO2 bubbling through.This is pretty cool!Cheers,Rich

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

45 Hours: When I got home from work today there was a definite beer odor and it got stronger as I got to the spare room. When I opened the door it was strong bananas and what I can only describe as over ripe fruit, not rotten, but just getting there. I still don't know what cloves smell like so I dont know if that is there or not.No change visibly, the yeast is still high up top and you can hear the snap crackle pop of the CO2 bubbling through.This is pretty cool!Cheers,Rich

The banana/clove smell is a function of temp. If you ferment on the higher end, you get banana's. If you ferment on the lower end you get cloves. I don't believe you get both. So if you are smelling bananas, that is what you are going to get. I prefer the banana. I've got a SN Kellerweis in the fridge... guess what I'm having with dinner!

#20 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

It isn't the open ferment that would scare me, but i wouldn't ferment in my mash tun. I don't care how good your sanitation practices are. I have been thinking about getting a cooler for a backup fermenter, though. But it would only have one job -- fermenting.mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users