#21 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

I'm thinking of making a peach mead next weekend. The current plan is to use some local Wildflower honey. The yeast I have on hand is Montrachet, Côte des Blancs and Pasteur Champagne. Any thoughts on those yeasts?

#22 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19177 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

There are other more experienced meadmakers than me here, but I would stay away from the Champagne yeast for a fruit mead. I think some residual sweetness really brings out fruit flavors, and the champagne yeast will finish too dry. Montrachet would be my first choice, Cote des Blancs would also be really good.

#23 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

There are other more experienced meadmakers than me here, but I would stay away from the Champagne yeast for a fruit mead. I think some residual sweetness really brings out fruit flavors, and the champagne yeast will finish too dry. Montrachet would be my first choice, Cote des Blancs would also be really good.

+1Côte des Blancs is my favorite from that list. Montrachet would work too but I think you'd get more floral out of the Côte des Blancs. The nice thing about Côte des Blancs is it's a slow fermenter and you can control it using temperature. You can let it do it's thing and then when you hit the FG you want crash the temp and it quits in a hurry. It does have a high nutrient demand so make sure you keep it well fed or it will throw some serious sulfur.

#24 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Looks like I'll use the Cotes de Blancs for the Peach mead, save the Montrachet for the Cherry mead. Thanks!

#25 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

I would highly recommend 71B for the cherry.

#26 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

I would highly recommend 71B for the cherry.

+1Cherries have a lot of Malic Acid. 71B can metabolize malic fairly well and will make a noticeable difference in softening the acidic bite.

#27 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

Good to know!

#28 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:19 AM

When you get around to your cherry mead, give a thought to adding some cracked mahleb for a couple of weeks before bottling.

#29 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

And if you add cherry pits to it, be sure to let Guest know that you didn't fall over dead after the first sip.

#30 mead4science

mead4science

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Looks like I'll use the Cotes de Blancs for the Peach mead, save the Montrachet for the Cherry mead. Thanks!

I'm racking some chamomile mead on cote de blancs this weekend. If you want, I'll drop you a line if it goes amazingly well (or amazingly poorly!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users