20 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

This is news to me, don't know if it's been posted here yet.https://www.msnbc.ms...news/?GT1=43001You'd expect a lot from a bottle of beer costing $765. What you get is 55 percent alcohol — and served in a squirrel. According to Scottish firm BrewDog, "The End of History" is the "strongest, most expensive and most shocking beer in the world."Just 12 bottles were made and the company has already sold out. They will be shipped out to buyers in the United States, Canada, Italy, Denmark, Scotland and England next week.The dead animals which were used to create the beers' unusual appearance were four squirrels, seven weasels and a hare. All were roadkill, James Watt, co-founder of BrewDog, told msnbc.com.The name of the blond Belgian ale is taken from the title of a book by philosopher Francis Fukuyama, "The End of History and the Last Man" which the company said had been chosen to imply "this is to beer what democracy is to history."Watt said the beer should be treated with care when drinking."It tastes more like a whisky and you have got to handle it in that way as opposed to the way you would handle a normal beer," he told msnbc.com.Posted Image

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Leave it to the guys at BrewDog to serve a high ABV beer out of roadkill and manage to convince the world it's something truly special and worthy of the price tag. Whatever they are paying their marketing people it isn't enough!

#3 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

I just want one of the empty bottles!

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

I just want one of the empty bottles!

Dude, just run over a squirrel and stuff a long neck in it. No biggie.

#5 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

I'd dispute their claim that this is "World's strongest beer". They are distilling it via freezing, like an eisbock. I call cheating! DFH and Sam Adams make their super high gravity beers (both claiming to be the strongest at one point) from pure fermentation, no distillation.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54393 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

I think it's completely ghey. Just give me a beer, for God's sake. :goodidea:

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

I'd dispute their claim that this is "World's strongest beer". They are distilling it via freezing, like an eisbock. I call cheating! DFH and Sam Adams make their super high gravity beers (both claiming to be the strongest at one point) from pure fermentation, no distillation.

Oh no, here we go again... it's beer dude. Is eisbock not beer? I mean you make reference to it. I guess you are asserting that style is not really beer?FWIW, this has already been beaten down a bit...https://www.brews-br...in-mega-merged/

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

+1

I think it's completely ghey. Just give me a beer, for God's sake. :goodidea:

+1Man I tell ya these guys are nuts, what a joke. Sorry I think this alcohol% race is stupid. I thought these guys were cool and interesting back when they were featured in BYO magazine and such. I even have a bomber of Punk IPA hanging around too. Come on already just brew some beer to be enjoyed.

#9 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

I'm not sure what I think of these guys yet. They definitely have some marketing power....but more and more, they seem like gimics. The beers I've had of theirs haven't impressed. Maybe they're a bigger deal in EMEA where they don't have the craft movement we do....and maybe that's why Stone is talking of opening a new brewery there.

#10 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

Is this a joke?

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

Yay. Selling beer with shock value. :goodidea:

#12 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

I find it entertaining and funny. I could never afford that beer, but hell, it is funny making it.They have established themselves as a wacky brewery intent on making uber high alcohol beers.If you don't like that, then don't buy their product.No biggie. The market will dictate how successful they are, as it did with the micro market in the US.MolBasser

#13 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:29 AM

Oh no, here we go again... it's beer dude. Is eisbock not beer?

To me, this is beer just as much as brandy is wine. Beer is produced by yeast, as is wine. End of the World and Brew Dogs’ other high alcohol “beers” are not produced by yeast, they are produced by freeze distillation. I say boooo.But MolBasser has it right — what I (or you) think doesn’t mean squat in the end. The only thing that matters is whether or not people buy the stuff. If they do, then Brew Dog will survive and thrive. Personally, though, I just wish Brew Dog would put out some decent beers before they go to these extremes — every one that I’ve been able to try here in Japan has been underwhelming.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:28 AM

Actually, I think their marketing sucks. If you're going to make an extreme beer like that and only produce 11 bottles, $765 is a ridiculously low price. If that was my company the bidding would have started at $10,000.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

To me, this is beer just as much as brandy is wine. Beer is produced by yeast, as is wine. End of the World and Brew Dogs’ other high alcohol “beers” are not produced by yeast, they are produced by freeze distillation. I say boooo.But MolBasser has it right — what I (or you) think doesn’t mean squat in the end. The only thing that matters is whether or not people buy the stuff. If they do, then Brew Dog will survive and thrive. Personally, though, I just wish Brew Dog would put out some decent beers before they go to these extremes — every one that I’ve been able to try here in Japan has been underwhelming.

The alcohol is made by yeast. What is the problem here?MolBasser

#16 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

But that's how you make eisbock. I'll call it freeze concentration since an actual still is not used while one is used in the making of brandy I believe. I agree when it comes to the success of their business that it doesn't matter what we think, but I also think that this could be entered in a beer competition under the eisbock category. And yeah, their beer-beers, like Punk IPA haven't gotten me to buy a second bottle.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

The alcohol is made by yeast. What is the problem here?MolBasser

The alcohol in pretty much all alcoholic beverages is made by yeast (I don't know about wine coolers, Joose, etc.), obviously he was aiming at the fact that it's not produced by yeast alone. There are other processes added on the end to increase alcohol.Personally, I don't care what they call it. If it was $10/bottle I still wouldn't buy it. It sounds kinda gross to me.

#18 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

The alcohol in pretty much all alcoholic beverages is made by yeast (I don't know about wine coolers, Joose, etc.), obviously he was aiming at the fact that it's not produced by yeast alone. There are other processes added on the end to increase alcohol.Personally, I don't care what they call it. If it was $10/bottle I still wouldn't buy it. It sounds kinda gross to me.

Exactly. Eisbock , I’m on the border with that one, but I lean toward it not being a beer.And like I mentioned, brandy is produced by distilling wine. If I came out with a 110 proof “wine”, what would people call it? Surely not wine, it would be brandy.

#19 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

I don't want my living room to stink like rotten fermenting squirrel guts. :D

#20 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

Exactly. Eisbock , I’m on the border with that one, but I lean toward it not being a beer.And like I mentioned, brandy is produced by distilling wine. If I came out with a 110 proof “wine”, what would people call it? Surely not wine, it would be brandy.

Aventinus is not beer? If Aventinus is beer, where is the limit? Is this basically just one of those "quantity becomes quality" things? I mean, I know people that would say once you put bacteria or coriander in your wort, you're not making beer, so I guess it's all just a matter of perspective.As far as wine goes, they will straight pour brandy into wine and call it wine. I'm not a big wine guy, but Madiera, Port, Sherry all come to mind in terms of some of them having distilled alcohol added to them. Also, to the point, brandy is made with a still, eisbock is not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users