#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

I can't understand why I don't get the same thing as everyone else! I make an American Rye beer that has 50% rye malt in it and I wouldn't describe it as slick or oily, and to me it's not very spicy. Are you all talking about flaked rye or something? Why does my rye beer not seem like rye should?

Nope, I'm talking about rye malt. What maltster makes yours? My experience is that the Briess I normally use has a much more pronounced flavor than some continental rye malts I've tried.

Edited by denny, 20 July 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#22 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

The sour is probably from the Belgian yeast, fermented at high temps. A lot of people like to ferment with Belgian yeast hot to get those flavors you described - my last belgian strong I fermented at about 78-80. Sounds pretty typical.

#23 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Damn! I'm not sure which maltster I use. It's whatever my LHBS carries. I'll have to check it out the next time I go there.

#24 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

I'm with you, jayb. I don't get spiciness. Just chewy thickness and breadiness. I don't know which brand I used either, but seeing as how I live within 50 miles of Briess, that would be a pretty good guess as to what my LHBS's use.

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

I'm with you, jayb. I don't get spiciness. Just chewy thickness and breadiness. I don't know which brand I used either, but seeing as how I live within 50 miles of Briess, that would be a pretty good guess as to what my LHBS's use.

Yeah, it does seem likely. Hard to say why you don't detect it and I do. But it sure as heck comes across as spicy to me.

#26 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

Well, I might say I get spicyness...maybe just a bit, but what I don't get is that mouthfeel. The american rye I make turns out light and refreshing just like an American wheat even though it's 50% rye malt.

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Well, I might say I get spicyness...maybe just a bit, but what I don't get is that mouthfeel. The american rye I make turns out light and refreshing just like an American wheat even though it's 50% rye malt.

Wow...I'm speechless! 50% is a huge amount of rye malt. For my tastes, I like to keep it below about 35%. At 50%, I'd expect you to be getting a thickness like motor oil!

#28 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

Right Denny! This is what I don't get. I've made this beer multiple times and each time it comes out crisp and delicious! It's a real summer quencher. According to everyone else, I should be making motor oil, but for some reason It's not. I'm going to try and head over to my LHBS either today or tomorrow and check what kind of rye malt it is.

#29 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

following with interest.... I am terrible at describing tastes and rye is one I can always detect and I would always describe it as spicy. I guess I am learning that tastes really are individual.

#30 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

I don't get spice, but I do get motor oil! I used 40% in my American rye and it was VERY chewy.

#31 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

To me, a significant amount of rye in a beer will give it about the same taste as rye bread. You might call that spicy, or you might call it something else.

#32 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Just checking in. I went to the LHBS today and checked on the rye there. They carry Briess rye. I'm drinking my rye right now and I think I might be missing something. This is a recipe I make often, and It's a multiple award winner, but it is usually quite effervescent. I just now poured a small sample between glasses to drop the carbonation. Even in the original glass I can smell a bit of rye bread character. in the non-carbonated sample I feel what might be a tiny bit of slickness, but both samples are what I would consider med - med low body. It's defenatly not motor oil!I guess What I'm used to with most rye beers is what I imagine Dennys RyeIPA is like(I've never actually made it). Most I've had are higher OG, Chewy, hop bombs. The beer I make is rather light, and I got the idea from JZ's podcast. It's just equal parts pale malt and rye, but it's rather hoppy, very much like a hoppy wheat, except with rye.I guess I'm not sure what my point, or my question, is. I'm just not sure why I'm not getting the same results as others are with rye.

#33 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

To me, a significant amount of rye in a beer will give it about the same taste as rye bread. You might call that spicy, or you might call it something else.

I've also had people refer to it as "earthy"...whatever the hell that means!

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

I've also had people refer to it as "earthy"...whatever the hell that means!

earthy? sounds like dirt when someone says earthy, lol, not an adjective I would use for the deliciousness that is Rye Beer. Personally I get the slightly heavier mouthfeel, and a the breadiness, with a bit of spicy too. I really wish that that awesome chocolaty aroma you get when milling it would come all the way through to the beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users