33 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

I recently had a Belgian style ale from a local brewery and it had a very distinct citrus/tangy/sour taste to it of an intensity that I've never really experienced before. I asked the brewer about what was providing this taste and he said it was mostly due to rye and other malts. I didn't think rye could provide these kinds of flavors. Thoughts?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

I recently had a Belgian style ale from a local brewery and it had a very distinct citrus/tangy/sour taste to it of an intensity that I've never really experienced before. I asked the brewer about what was providing this taste and he said it was mostly due to rye and other malts. I didn't think rye could provide these kinds of flavors. Thoughts?

Just my feeling on this but I alwsy got a spicyness from rye. I really like rye in beer. I am sure Denny will pop in and post some good info on rye.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I'd agree. It's a spicy note that you get from rye. I can see how it would go well in a tripel or a saison.

#4 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

I get mouthfeel.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

You shut your...oh wait...wrong forum.Yes, mouthfeel too. Kind of a slick, slippery feeling. Good call. :devil:

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47968 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

Definite spiciness that goes very well with hops, IMO.Also, rye is pretty high in beta glucans, so it gives a mouthfeel similar to using oats.

#7 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

Definite spiciness that goes very well with hops, IMO.Also, rye is pretty high in beta glucans, so it gives a mouthfeel similar to using oats.

I've never used oats, but I get the slickness Mtn is referring to.

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

I concur with the above statements especially the spiciness. I used rye in an ESB and it was awesome. Shared it with friends and they really liked it. Thats what I feel it adds to a beer too. I am planning to use it coming up too American Rye Ale. What are you thinking of using it in Zymlogical?

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

I concur with the above statements especially the spiciness. I used rye in an ESB and it was awesome. Shared it with friends and they really liked it. Thats what I feel it adds to a beer too. I am planning to use it coming up too American Rye Ale. What are you thinking of using it in Zymlogical?

My first use will be denny's rye IPA. after that I don't know. I was just curious about the brewers answer. No one yet has described citrus or tangyness from rye and that's what he attributed those flavors to.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47968 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

I wouldn't use the word citrus to describe a rye flavor, but I could see somebody using tangy or sour. It would be more like a sourdough twang instead of a citrus or vinegar. That would be a stretch, though.

#11 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

When formulating recipes, I consider rye to be a spicy form of wheat with a touch of the oily/silky mouthfeel from oats. But mostly spicy wheat, and I treat it as such in my mash and recipe formulation. I'm a fan of going 25% rye, 10% wheat, 65% basemalt.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

I agree with the above comments. If I don't have a beer with rye in the queue for stuff to go on tap you can bet the next brew will have some. Awesome stuff, not everybody likes it though. Their loss

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

I loved Denny's Rye IPA a lot .I went overboard and used 40% in a brew after the last one.I remember i was happy with the results.I don't remember if i had trouble with the mash out or not w/out referring to notes. I think Denny has formulated the correct hops to use with rye malt.Kind of Nirvana (if done correctly).

#14 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

I find that rye provides a huge thick chewy mouthfeel, and enormous creamy head. It has a pleasant bready flavor that is different from barley or rye, but actually quite mild and not really exotic. Just a little different. I do NOT find it to be spicy in any way. Try 40% in a batch of your homebrew sometime as I have, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:31 AM

I wouldn't use the word citrus to describe a rye flavor, but I could see somebody using tangy or sour. It would be more like a sourdough twang instead of a citrus or vinegar. That would be a stretch, though.

maybe when I pick up enough sour paired with acidity it makes me think lemon???

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

Sourness *is* acidity but yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Sourness could make you think of citrus.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Sourness *is* acidity but yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Sourness could make you think of citrus.

Good point :)

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47968 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

That's why I was careful to say 'twang' instead of sourness.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

I am sure Denny will pop in and post some good info on rye.

By the time I saw this, there's not much to add. Some spiciness (despite what Dave Taylor says :) ), and a full, kind of slick mouthfeel. A bit of an orange color, too.

#20 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I can't understand why I don't get the same thing as everyone else! I make an American Rye beer that has 50% rye malt in it and I wouldn't describe it as slick or oily, and to me it's not very spicy. Are you all talking about flaked rye or something? Why does my rye beer not seem like rye should?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users