26 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

You definitely shouldn't have to test a new tank. If beverage factory sends you a tank that is older than 5 years, I would complain and have them pay money back to hydrotest the tank. I would say that the test date should most likely be within a year, and hopefully less. It does depend on their turnover rate, and how many tanks they buy at a time though.I do find it interesting that your 20# tank is your backup tank. If you get a paintball refill station, you can refill the 5# tank from it if you are careful (it can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing).

well - not exactly back-up. it's more of separate purpose. they'll both be in use at the same time.

#22 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

I figured if your gas source wasn't pure enough that it got water vapour in it, it would probably have other things like oxygen as well. Maybe it's not enough to complete the reaction, maybe your gas source is pure, or maybe just get aluminum and not worry.

Where are people getting their impure CO2? The only person I can think of is Old Fart. Steel tanks are fine for holding CO2 you get commerically, I get mine filled at welding shops which is about as pure as it gets.

#23 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

Just got mine filled yesterday at the fire equipment store for $12.50 for 5#.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

I'll let you guys know how I do getting my 20# tank filled next week probably.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18083 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

I just paid 20 bucks at the fire equeipment place for two 5# tanks. I know when I go there with more tanks the guys ends up charing me less too.

#26 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

I just had my 20# aluminum tank hydro'd and filled at the local fire extinguisher place. $13.50 for hydro, $18 to fill.The welding place which is much closer charges $23.xx w/ tax to fill the 20#.

#27 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

I just paid 20 bucks at the fire equeipment place for two 5# tanks. I know when I go there with more tanks the guys ends up charing me less too.

Yeah that's a good deal... I only have the one tank though; maybe some day I'll have more. Of course I'll have to do like I usually do and sneak brewing things into the house without swmbo knowing about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users