#21 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

So what's the benefit of not using it despite having it available?

I'm not into step mashes and I don't brew anything that needs it (simplicity). :frank: When I included a HERMS coil in my setup it was kind of a just in case thing in case I badly missed a mash temp or if I ever decided for some reason I needed to step mash. It wasn't a big deal to add it and I'd have it if I needed it. I recirc/vorlauff with my pump and I figure if I'm going to go to the trouble to do that, why not run it through the HERMS coil and do a mash out at the same time. As you say, I've got it, may as well use it.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

It definitely doesn't take anything remotely fancy to make great beer, it's mostly understanding the process. That being said, the process engineer in me want to control everything. Between the time my RIMS heater burnt out a few years ago, up until this past fall I was doing the simple infusion in a cooler process. Plenty of good beer was produced despite the fact the the mash temp would move 2°F or more during the mash (I had some big drops in cold, windy weather). Now that I'm using my EHERMS, the temp is rock solid throughout the mash (my GPils mash on Friday was between 147.0 and 147.1 for the whole mash) and my inner engineer is at peace. I'm not sure my beer is any better, but I feel better. :frank:

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

............. But in the end, I think techniques in the fermenter have way more impact on your beer than the issue at hand.

When I started my second round of brewing in '04 some of my friends gently pointed out that I needed to pay attention to this. Temperature in the fermenter can make all the difference between just plain not good and stellar. It's much more important than any bells and whistles your system has before the yeast gets pitched. Thanks guys!

#24 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

When I started my second round of brewing in '04 some of my friends gently pointed out that I needed to pay attention to this. Temperature in the fermenter can make all the difference between just plain not good and stellar. It's much more important than any bells and whistles your system has before the yeast gets pitched. Thanks guys!

+1 on that. I believe that is why fermentation temperature control is very important. I can't see going any other way on that one. I also say since my brewing system is so simple that with a lack of bells and whistles good beer can still be brewed.

#25 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26198 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

I can understand the simplcity is good approach ... I've been brewing on three tier gravity-fed system with a cooler and two burners for a good many years now. However, I'm in the process of building a 2 tier direct fired RIMS. Why? I want more flexibility with my mash schedules and better control over my temps. Sure you can do it with a cooler, but i like to tinker and want to try something new. To each their own.

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:54 AM

There's definitely two types of brewers, those who like brewing beer and those who like the brewing process. Either way we get lots of good beer out of the deal. :frank:

#27 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:04 AM

... my inner engineer is at peace. I'm not sure my beer is any better, but I feel better. :frank:

It's a geek thing. We understand brother, you are among friends. Welcome to Brewers Anonymous. :frank:edit-Sorry, my turn to confess, Ahem...My system was set up for HERMS. And indeed my first batch was with a manually controlled HERMS. As a stopgap and sanity measure I started doing infusion mashes and batch sparging while working on the control system. However, I became so interested in making and drinking different styles that I just haven't had time to work on it. Too busy enjoying my brews I guess. I've been happy for the last 4 or so years and am under no pressure to upgrade the system. Although a permanent installation would shave two hours off the brew day.

Edited by Stout_fan, 01 June 2010 - 06:12 AM.

#28 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

There's definitely two types of brewers, those who like brewing beer and those who like the brewing process. Either way we get lots of good beer out of the deal. :frank:

So where do push button brewers fit into?

#29 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

So where do push button brewers fit into?

It depends what exactly you mean by 'push button brewers'. Ultimately, my goal is to have a completely, or near completely, automated system. Not necessarily because I just want to be able to push a button, but because I love designing and building that kind of stuff. The fact that the brewing process is going to be very easy when I'm done is secondary. Truth be told, I'll probably never be 'done'. Once I get my system where I plan to get it, I'll come up with some other way to add bells and whistles.I already have >$500 of Swagelok fittings and stainless solenoid valves sitting in a drawer waiting to be used in the next incarnation of my EHERMS, and that's barely scratching the surface of the hardware that will be involved, I'm sure I'll spend thousands. When I picture my ultimate home brewery in my head, it's kind of like looking into the control room of a large commercial brewery. A bunch of monitors with schematics of the different areas of the process with the different process variables and states all displayed. Lots of data acquisition and practically infinite control. It may take me 20 years to get there, but I won't stop trying.

#30 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

It depends what exactly you mean by 'push button brewers'. Ultimately, my goal is to have a completely, or near completely, automated system. Not necessarily because I just want to be able to push a button, but because I love designing and building that kind of stuff. The fact that the brewing process is going to be very easy when I'm done is secondary. Truth be told, I'll probably never be 'done'. Once I get my system where I plan to get it, I'll come up with some other way to add bells and whistles.I already have >$500 of Swagelok fittings and stainless solenoid valves sitting in a drawer waiting to be used in the next incarnation of my EHERMS, and that's barely scratching the surface of the hardware that will be involved, I'm sure I'll spend thousands. When I picture my ultimate home brewery in my head, it's kind of like looking into the control room of a large commercial brewery. A bunch of monitors with schematics of the different areas of the process with the different process variables and states all displayed. Lots of data acquisition and practically infinite control. It may take me 20 years to get there, but I won't stop trying.

Do you have a way to automate the cleaning process? B/c really that's the most annoying part of my brew day :frank:

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Do you have a way to automate the cleaning process? B/c really that's the most annoying part of my brew day :frank:

Of course. You don't think that commercial brewers are cleaning their 10,000 gallon tanks by hand, do you? CIP Spray Ball + dedicated caustic and sanitizer tanks FTW!

#32 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

Of course. You don't think that commercial brewers are cleaning their 10,000 gallon tanks by hand, do you? CIP Spray Ball + dedicated caustic and sanitizer tanks FTW!

you have this at home?

#33 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

you have this at home?

Not yet. In time, my friend. :frank:

#34 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

To me a push button brewer is one that has gone thru hell in design and setup to arrive at a rig that controls all your processes. Where a non push button brewer has to take note and manually make changes or run the process. I think its totally sweet to put your geeky engnineer'd stuff together. Ive seen some totally rad rigs in my day, including many of my friends as well as myself (to an extent). Bottom line tho is that the guy with a cooler, keggle, and a floating thermo will make just as good beer. I know this because in my club we have total KISS to the extravagant in brew rigs and everything in between. And all the beer is good to excellent made from all these guys. Am I allowed to add another bottom line? Good! I personally think build whatever cool ass gear you want. Whatever and however that makes brewing beer a fun thing to do is cool with me. The beauty of the hobby. Cant wait to see pics of your EHERMS when your done.

#35 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

I personally think build whatever cool ass gear you want. Whatever and however that makes brewing beer a fun thing to do is cool with me. The beauty of the hobby.

+1There is no right way or wrong way. Make good beer and have fun are the only rules in my book.

#36 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31556 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

I need to figure out how to simplify my brewing. I really need to get it to where I'm not lifting coolers full of hot water, and then lifting my keggle of wort up to a level where I can drain it from the ball valve at the bottom.I have two 15.5 gallon keggles right now, I need a third, and then I'm going to start planning on building a single, maybe two level stand with a pump. All plumbed for Water and propane. So I just need to turn valves or press a switch.I keep tweaking my shoulder during my brews. 3 days of a shoulder all pissed off at me isn't fun any more. :frank:

#37 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Just be aware badogg that a single plane stand may need two pumps.

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

I LOVE brewing...I HATE building equipment when I could be spending my time brewing.

#39 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64149 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

I LOVE brewing...I HATE building equipment when I could be spending my time brewing.

I think it's safe to say that Denny and I are on the opposite sides of the spectrum...and that's OK. We both love making (and drinking!) good beer. :frank:

#40 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

Is this part of a movement or something? I've been seeing more fancy brew rigs for sale in Seattle's craigslist than I've ever seen. Maybe it's the economy. For the record, I'm on Denny's side of the spectrum. Maybe even worse, 'cause I haven't even bothered to install my hose-braid in the cooler. I just run the hose over the side and siphon. And I still only collect about 5 gallons of wort and then top off with water to make up for whatever evaporates during the boil (that way, I can still brew in the kitchen). If I want a high gravity beer, I'm not even averse to adding a pound or two of DME at the end of the boil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users