Photo
- - - - -

How many cornies do you have?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: How many cornies do you have? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

How many cornies do you own?

1. 1 (2 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

2. 2 (1 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

3. 3 (5 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

4. 4 (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

5. 5-7 (17 votes [28.81%])

Percentage of vote: 28.81%

6. 8-10 (7 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

7. 10-15 (7 votes [11.86%])

8. 15-20 (7 votes [11.86%])

9. 20-30 (6 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

10. 30-40 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. 40-50 (1 votes [1.69%])

12. 50-100 (3 votes [5.08%])

13. 100+ (for gnef) (0 votes [0.00%])

How many cornies do you WANT to have?

1. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 (1 votes [1.69%])

4. 4 (3 votes [5.08%])

5. 5-7 (8 votes [13.56%])

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

6. 8-10 (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

7. 10-15 (4 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

8. 15-20 (11 votes [18.64%])

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

9. 20-30 (9 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

10. 30-40 (3 votes [5.08%])

11. 40-50 (2 votes [3.39%])

12. 50-100 (1 votes [1.69%])

13. 100+ (2 votes [3.39%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 penguin

penguin

Comptroller of Arctic Mammals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationOdessa, Texas

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

hey now there wasn't a voting option for owning 0. i do hope to start kegging in the future but hell i have to start brewing again before i even do that.

#42 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

For those with lid seal problems, I also used to have them.I found that they were caused by dents in the oval lid seal area. A section of broomstick and a bit of muscle leveraged out those dents. I do not need those over sized O rings or keg lube to seal anymore.Hope this might help some folks.

#43 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

For those with lid seal problems, I also used to have them.I found that they were caused by dents in the oval lid seal area. A section of broomstick and a bit of muscle leveraged out those dents. I do not need those over sized O rings or keg lube to seal anymore.Hope this might help some folks.

I'll slip a mostly closed crescent wrench over the lip to bend them into place.I still haven't found a good way to bend the lid legs though.

#44 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'll slip a mostly closed crescent wrench over the lip to bend them into place.I still haven't found a good way to bend the lid legs though.

How about with a vise? Clamp the foot down and then use the longer handle part to bend?

#45 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

That is good advice. I will look at mine more closely, but from past inspection it seems to me the opening is out of round - not that it's round per se but you know what I mean. Anyone have a solution for fixing that?

#46 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

I've done that and also massage the lid rim with a mallet. Both work well. As far as lid legs go, I usually just jam something under them when they are a little loose.

#47 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Not entirely following you here. What was your technique?

#48 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

I've done that and also massage the lid rim with a mallet. Both work well. As far as lid legs go, I usually just jam something under them when they are a little loose.

Yeah, I have heard of folks placing the lid upside down on the lip and giving it a good whack or two.

#49 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I have heard of folks placing the lid upside down on the lip and giving it a good whack or two.

Actually, that's a good way to tell if the lid rim is bent. I hadn't thought of that.

#50 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:10 AM

I have 15-20. I think I might like to get to around 30-40max.Gnef numbers his kegs because I have directions to his house.

#51 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:30 AM

Not entirely following you here. What was your technique?

Well, it only works with kegs that have continuous circular handles on the end.Fer example, my 3 gal cornies with a single handle cannot be fixed in this manner.Get about a 1 1/2 to 2' length of 1 1/2" dia. oak rod. Broom handle or a shovel handle is what I have.Shove one end into the opening where the dent is. I locate the center by running my finger around under the lip.Lay the remaining end over the cornie handle and press down a bit.Check for change in the dent.Press harder if required, but don''t over do it.Rinse, repeat as required.Unless the lid area is totally fragged, this should work.

#52 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:36 AM

That is good advice. I will look at mine more closely, but from past inspection it seems to me the opening is out of round - not that it's round per se but you know what I mean. Anyone have a solution for fixing that?

I've never seen that. But the plastic covers are different ovals I understand.I have interchanged Coke (pin) and Pepsi (ball) metal lids no problem.I actually prefer the Pepsi pressure relief lids.I had a very full keg with a 4" gas tube and a Coke safety OPD that was over carbed. I got a bit of a surprise when I tried to reduce the carb level. Since then 1" gas tubes on all my kegs. I have a tubing cutter that ensures compliance! :frank:

Edited by Stout_fan, 02 June 2010 - 06:38 AM.

#53 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Well, it only works with kegs that have continuous circular handles on the end.Fer example, my 3 gal cornies with a single handle cannot be fixed in this manner.Get about a 1 1/2 to 2' length of 1 1/2" dia. oak rod. Broom handle or a shovel handle is what I have.Shove one end into the opening where the dent is. I locate the center by running my finger around under the lip.Lay the remaining end over the cornie handle and press down a bit.Check for change in the dent.Press harder if required, but don''t over do it.Rinse, repeat as required.Unless the lid area is totally fragged, this should work.

Okay, that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. I'd think it would be difficult to get that just right.

#54 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

... I'd think it would be difficult to get that just right.

I have on the last 6 I've "performed adjustments to."That said, I'll probably hose the next one. :smilielol:

#55 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

Well, I am just a bit closer to my goal. I just bought 8 kegs off craigslist today. That brings my total of usable kegs to 88 (I have a few kegs for parts). I just need 12 more to get to 100. Hopefully I can keep finding decent deals.

#56 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

:shock:

#57 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Well, I am just a bit closer to my goal. I just bought 8 kegs off craigslist today. That brings my total of usable kegs to 88 (I have a few kegs for parts). I just need 12 more to get to 100. Hopefully I can keep finding decent deals.

Where are you storing them? I have about 20 and that's more than enough for me. 3 of them have cyser & mead in them at the moment. I couldn't imagine having 80+.

#58 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Haha. There are some pictures earlier in the thread. Needless to say, I need to build the walk-in cooler as soon as I can (time estimate still a couple of years though, I expect it to take 2k$, so that will take a bit to save up for).My meads and ciders are one reason why I need to have so many. I definitely wouldn't need that many just for beer, unless if I were to start doing a tremendous number of high gravity beers for aging or brewed like a madman. I do yearly meads (20g) and ciders(30g) to be stored away and aged for the long term for vertical tastings in the future, so that takes up a number of kegs every year that I can't use for multiple years (I'd like to do a 10 year vertical tasting, so you can only imagine how many kegs of mead and cider I will have by that time).

#59 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

Haha. There are some pictures earlier in the thread. Needless to say, I need to build the walk-in cooler as soon as I can (time estimate still a couple of years though, I expect it to take 2k$, so that will take a bit to save up for).My meads and ciders are one reason why I need to have so many. I definitely wouldn't need that many just for beer, unless if I were to start doing a tremendous number of high gravity beers for aging or brewed like a madman. I do yearly meads (20g) and ciders(30g) to be stored away and aged for the long term for vertical tastings in the future, so that takes up a number of kegs every year that I can't use for multiple years (I'd like to do a 10 year vertical tasting, so you can only imagine how many kegs of mead and cider I will have by that time).

Hmmmm.....I live in Chattanooga. I may need to come down for some of those vertical tastings. :shock:

#60 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

Haha. Definitely. I expect the first one to be either in a year, or possibly two. My oldest cider and mead right now is from 2006, so I'd like to do a full 5 years, so it may have to wait till 2012. I will most likely post something on the board here about it when it comes around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users