Photo
- - - - -

How many cornies do you have?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: How many cornies do you have? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

How many cornies do you own?

1. 1 (2 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

2. 2 (1 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

3. 3 (5 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

4. 4 (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

5. 5-7 (17 votes [28.81%])

Percentage of vote: 28.81%

6. 8-10 (7 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

7. 10-15 (7 votes [11.86%])

8. 15-20 (7 votes [11.86%])

9. 20-30 (6 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

10. 30-40 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. 40-50 (1 votes [1.69%])

12. 50-100 (3 votes [5.08%])

13. 100+ (for gnef) (0 votes [0.00%])

How many cornies do you WANT to have?

1. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 (1 votes [1.69%])

4. 4 (3 votes [5.08%])

5. 5-7 (8 votes [13.56%])

Percentage of vote: 13.56%

6. 8-10 (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

7. 10-15 (4 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

8. 15-20 (11 votes [18.64%])

Percentage of vote: 18.64%

9. 20-30 (9 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

10. 30-40 (3 votes [5.08%])

11. 40-50 (2 votes [3.39%])

12. 50-100 (1 votes [1.69%])

13. 100+ (2 votes [3.39%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Are you guys replacing the all o-rings? I seldom have problems with mine. Almost all have all new o-rings from McMaster

Yep. Several of mine leak through the pressure release valve.

#22 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

When I started using keg lube on the o-rings, all of my kegs started sealing instantly, as soon as the slightest amount of CO2 pressure is applied. Before that, several of them had to be bumped up to 5 or 7 psig initially to get the seal to take.

#23 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

Only have three taps operational, i would brew twice a week if the weather was cooperating with me all year. If i brew 3 or 4 times a month im doing good.

#24 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

24- 5'ers, 3- 3gal. Use about 1/2 of them for meads & high gravity/long storage.

#25 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14730 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

I think I have 12 or 13 5 gallon cornies and two scotties. I honestly don't brew enough to justify having that many. I'm just hoping one day when the kids are a bit older and I have more space I'll be able to brew more.I wouldn't mind having a couple of tens or a 15 to ferment in, though I don't have a fermentation space to hold them currently.

#26 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Haha. I like this poll.I have around 80 good kegs right now. I definitely want to get to at least 100 though.I currently have around 60 filled with something. Cheers!

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

Haha. I like this poll.I have around 80 good kegs right now. I definitely want to get to at least 100 though.I currently have around 60 filled with something. Cheers!

Where do you keep them all??? I'd like to see a picture of this :frank:

#28 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Dude, you obviously are a homebrewer. Do you drink any ? i have made 125 batches and that has taken me 4-5 years.And i 2nd the pic showing if you have one.

#29 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Haha. Well, I keep most of them at room temperature because I have no other options. I have two chest freezers with temperature controllers on them, used to have three, but one of them died recently. I also have two kegerators.I do meads and ciders every year as well as the beer that I normally do, and those I age for many years, so every year they take away from the number of kegs I can use in my normal beer rotation. I plan on doing a vertical tasting of the meads and ciders when I get to the 5 year mark (getting close, oldest I have is 2006!), and maybe every year from there, or doing every 5 years. I do about 20 gallons of mead, and about 30 gallons of cider a year, so that is a lot of kegs every year I am putting away for long term storage.I drink, but it does not match my consumption by any means. I really enjoy the process of making beer, and crafting something with my own hands. I bring my beer around to a lot of gatherings, and I still have more beer than I can drink at home. Here are some pictures I took just now. This is the vast majority of my kegs, but a few are not in the pictures.This is of my kegerator next to the dining table and liquor cabinet (I also enjoy Scotch)Posted ImageThis is of my brewstand with my jockey boxes around and on top. I have done some weddings for friends, and art shows, and other events to help out. I had 25 faucets flowing at my wedding almost a year ago now.Posted Imageupright freezer for hops and ice blocks, as well as temperature controlled chest freezer for fermenting, and my winch to save my back.Posted ImageEmpty kegs that need to be refurbished before I use them.Posted ImageLong term storage of kegs in the basement (they are all filled), along with a wine I did, and some wines we have bought and have been given.Posted ImageA shot of part of the man cave with some equipment and supplies.Posted ImagePopcorn maker and ciders I am clearing.Posted Imagespecialty grains, canned starter, misc. items.Posted ImageTemp controlled chest freezers and secondary kegerator, and kegs I have been using with my jockey boxes recently (yes, they are all filled)Posted ImageAnother shot showing another chest freezer I use for some food and freezing more ice blocks.Posted ImageMy long term plan is to convert that long term storage room with the wine rack into a walk-in cooler with dual zones so I can keep at least 100 kegs in cold storage, and have a good sized area for fermenting and for an oak cask or two hopefully. I just counted up my co2 tanks too, and I have two 50# tanks, eight 20# tanks, a 10#, 5#, and a 2.5# tank. I think I'm good on CO2 for now.

#30 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

So, gnef, are you serious about this homebrewing thing? :frank: You're more ate up with it than anyone I've every seen. Awesome. :frank:

#31 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Haha. When I get into hobbies, I really get in to them, especially when they are as good as homebrewing. I've been brewing for a little over 5 years now, and have gradually accumulated most of the equipment used off of craigslist and ebay, and I try to build as much as I can by myself.If any of you are in the atlanta area, and want some beer, you are more than welcome to stop by.I've also been getting into gardening, and have a fairly large garden with fruits, vegetables, and of course, hops.

#32 mach5

mach5

Helibottle Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationColumbia, PA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

I have 3 right now. Exactly 2 fit in my kegerator, so that leaves one for standby. This is a decent system because I can always have one beer ready to rock. Thing is, I'd like more to do some extended aging and whatnot, so it is not ideal.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54049 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:46 AM

I have exactly the number that I can keep cold... 6. Four on tap (big fridge) and 2 on deck (small fridge) at all times. I may get my hands on one more so I can use it for filtering (thank you, ChadM!) but otherwise I'm set. Cheers.

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

Screw this beer pass stuff, let's start a keg pass! :frank:

#35 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

Donations now being accepted for gnef's liver transplant operation.THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. !!! :frank:Finally someone on this board who makes me look sane. And that's not an easy job, let me tell you.55 here. Mostly 5 gal pin locks. ONE 5 gal. ball lock for times when I absolutely have to "interface"A smattering of ball and pin lock 3 gallon ones.And yes, I've assigned them asset numbers. :frank:I've taken to using an index card file for inventory control.It also allows me to track problems with the kegs, like leaky poppets and O rings.RIS in a few, meads in some, and braggots aging.About half of mine are full.If I had gnef's spacious basement, I'd want more. But I'll be happy with what I have.Gnef, hopefully you have an understanding SO.

Edited by Stout_fan, 01 June 2010 - 06:28 AM.

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64066 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

Prior to purchasing this lot of 13 ball locks, my kegs were about half pin lock and half ball lock. Kind of annoying, but I make due. It sucks having to maintain a full inventory of both types of disconnects.

#37 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

I have to use numbers as well, and a spreadsheet. I also have individual labels with names and date of brew and if I did oak, etc. I have to put location in my spreadsheet as well since I have a few places where the kegs could be.I have a good mix of pin and ball lock, leaning more towards pin lock at this time. I probably have over 20 sets of disconnects at this point, and I still plan on purchasing a few more of each type so I don't have to keep swapping. I also have to use flared fittings, and have a fortune invested in those, as well as oetiker clamps. Haha.

#38 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14178 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

I have 2- 2.5 gal, 2- 3 gal, about 20- 5 gal, and 2- 10 gal.I would like about another 10 5 gal, and several (2-4) more of each of the odd sizes.

#39 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

Of the 3 I have currently one doesn't seal too great - if the headspace pressure drops below 10 psi or so it seems like it develops a leak. Ultimately I'd like to have 6 or so and build a kegerator from a chest freezer in my garage and run the lines through the wall and have the taps on the exterior of the garage over my outdoor countertop on the patio. That'd be sweet, and I could see having 4 taps going and a couple kegs in reserve. More power to you guys with 20+ kegs. I brew 10 gallon batches, probably a dozen or so brews a year and so far am good rotating through the 3 kegs but at times I get backed up and have stuff lying around in secondary. Fortunately I have several carboys so it's not a big deal. I am thinking this fall after all the summer trips I will pick up a chest freezer and get to work on building the kegerator.

#40 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

I saw the writing on the wall with cornies going to scrap and overseas. When I saw a real good deal I jumped on it and bought more than I really needed knowing I would want more eventually but I might not be able to afford them. I figured 20 would be a good round number that I could keep rotating. I found that the ones getting used do not like to have the lids swapped around. It seems they are mated for life. I mixed some up once not thinking then began to get leaks. Over time I managed to get all but one to seal up good, so I use it for sanitizing solution until I can get a lid that fits better.I want to begin brewing more higher gravity beers and letting them age, but up until now I have not had the time. That was my earlier plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users