Photo
- - - - -

anybody know the history of brewers yeast?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

I am curious to learn some good history of brewers yeast. Specifically, what is the actual source of the yeast. I am sure that most of the yeast today is propogated from highly refined cultures, but where did the early cultures come from? Was it just some wild yeast strain that was genetically altered over thousands of years, or was it a particular yeast growing in the grains or something like that? I hope the question makes sense.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

I am curious to learn some good history of brewers yeast. Specifically, what is the actual source of the yeast. I am sure that most of the yeast today is propogated from highly refined cultures, but where did the early cultures come from? Was it just some wild yeast strain that was genetically altered over thousands of years, or was it a particular yeast growing in the grains or something like that? I hope the question makes sense.

since no one really knew it was yeast back in the day I think local regions wild yeast mutated over time to something like a lot of the strains we have today.

#3 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

since no one really knew it was yeast back in the day I think local regions wild yeast mutated over time to something like a lot of the strains we have today.

that would make sense given the regional differences in yeast.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

I thought the story went like this:And on the 9th day, Adam got sick of Eve's constant blabbering so he asked god for relief. God spoke unto Adam, "Go forth and multiply thine tiny beasties, they like sweet nectar."And so it was done.And on the 28th day Adam found his relief, and it was soeth named "beer".Cheers,Rich

#5 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

:devil: :crybaby:

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

Actually, did the strains grow naturally on the brewing sticks? Those sticks were handed down generation after generation?Cheers,Rich

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

I thought the story went like this:And on the 9th day, Adam got sick of Eve's constant blabbering so he asked god for relief. God spoke unto Adam, "Go forth and multiply thine tiny beasties, they like sweet nectar."And so it was done.And on the 28th day Adam found his relief, and it was soeth named "beer".Cheers,Rich

Was this how Adam crashed his triceratops into a giant tree?

#8 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

oh. i thought that happened because eve was yelling at him about his driving.

#9 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

ahh, rich...i think you're on the money with the comment about the brewwing sticks. i was just looking some stuff up on the brewing sticks, and it does seem that they were the initial source of the magic. i had never heard of that before now, so it was the missing link in my research. thanks!

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

ahh, rich...i think you're on the money with the comment about the brewwing sticks. i was just looking some stuff up on the brewing sticks, and it does seem that they were the initial source of the magic. i had never heard of that before now, so it was the missing link in my research. thanks!

No problemo.Cheers,Rich

#11 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

I thought that was because Eve caught Adam cheating with many other wimmens, chased him with a club, in an attempt to leave the cave, adam hopped on the trike, crashed into a tree, went to a neighbors house and passed out on the porch of their cave to be awakened by the cops. Later, His lucrative sports career was crushed due to his exploits.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Back on subject here :crybaby: I think it was Louis Pasteur who discovered the existence of yeast. (I can't find a reference so that might be wrong.) Then it was the Carlsberg brewery in Denmark that first isolated lager yeast.

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Did the PH and the Brewing Forum merge???

#14 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Back on subject here :crybaby: I think it was Louis Pasteur who discovered the existence of yeast. (I can't find a reference so that might be wrong.) Then it was the Carlsberg brewery in Denmark that first isolated lager yeast.

That is my understanding as well.

#15 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

Did the PH and the Brewing Forum merge???

is this not a brewing question?

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

is this not a brewing question?

The question definitely is a brewing question, but some of the postings are off course and not relevant to brewing.

Edited by Deerslyr, 26 May 2010 - 09:59 AM.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

I've heard this as well.

#18 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

ahh, gotcha deer. yeah, the blog took a temporary turn for the worse. i think it's getting back on track, though.

#19 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

yep, that is the case, but i was wondering if anybody knew what the yeast sources were back in the early early days of brewing...thousands of years ago. rich had it right when he said the yeast was carried from batch to batch on their "magical" brewing sticks. this is about as close as i will probably ever get to my answer, but i would like to take it a step further to know where the yeast originally came from on the brewing sticks. was the yeast native to the wood used for the sticks? or did it come from elsewhere. if it was native to the wood of the sticks, what type of wood did they use? if it came from elsewhere, was it anywhere in particular, or just airborne native yeast?i don't know why, but this is the most fascinating part of the history of brewing to me.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

yep, that is the case, but i was wondering if anybody knew what the yeast sources were back in the early early days of brewing...thousands of years ago. rich had it right when he said the yeast was carried from batch to batch on their "magical" brewing sticks. this is about as close as i will probably ever get to my answer, but i would like to take it a step further to know where the yeast originally came from on the brewing sticks. was the yeast native to the wood used for the sticks? or did it come from elsewhere. if it was native to the wood of the sticks, what type of wood did they use? if it came from elsewhere, was it anywhere in particular, or just airborne native yeast?i don't know why, but this is the most fascinating part of the history of brewing to me.

I think originally it was bakers yeast first and then someone figured out you could make some totally awesome barely porridge out of it and get a little bit tipsy :crybaby:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users