#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

If they were BB brand, they have a big clear stick-on label that it's likely you would remember. So they might not have been BB's. Were they bluish, whitish or clear? BB's are perfectly clear. They're thin, but also pretty tough. I've purchased three starting around 3 years ago, and with the exception of one that I accidentally drained 170F water into, they are still in perfect shape and serving me well except for some scuffs on the outside bottom that don't affect anything. Even the 170F one just got malformed a bit and I still use it for pre-boil stuff like collecting water from the RO filter or holding sanitizer.If you have any doubts, just buy one and I think you'll be a convert. They are SO much better than glass - in piece of mind if nothing else. I know that when I work with glass I'm always super careful and always plan out my walk paths and stuff even when they're empty. I'm always extra careful when washing because they're slippery when wet. Glass just makes me nervous, even though I've never been cut (though I have had one break). There is a heightened stress level, I guess, that just isn't present with BB's. I've literally tossed a BB (empty) a few feet because I needed to get it out of the way ASAP to stop something overflowing. It hit, tottered and fell over, but that was it; I've used it 100 times since then. You can also safely pressurize a BB with CO2 to move beer without worrying about overpressure shattering it.The only flaw they have, IMO, is that they will suck back the contents of an airlock if lifted while full. However, I think your brew hauler would solve even that little problem.I sound like I own stock in the company, I know, but I'm very impressed with these things. I would go so far as to say that replacing glass with BBs is the single most cut-and-dried improvement in equipment since I started brewing 5-ish years ago. In that time, I've heard of dozens of brewers who've switched to BB's and got rid of all their glass. Conversely, I've never heard of a BB brewer switching back to glass.

Can they slice tomatoes too? :frantic: I might get one just to try. Cheers,Rich

#22 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

is there any difference between a better bottle and an empty water bottle? are they the same plastic?

#23 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

George has me convinced. Going to try one of these out soon - hard not to get excited about them after reading such an enthusiastic testimonial.

#24 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

is there any difference between a better bottle and an empty water bottle? are they the same plastic?

A regular water bottle is more oxygen permeable than a better bottle.doesn't have a better bottle, but has seen enough discussions here on the Blue Board to sound authoritative enough. :frantic:

#25 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

I will strongly second everything that George said. Once you go Better Bottle, you'll never go back.Wait, is that how it goes? :frantic:

#26 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

A regular water bottle is more oxygen permeable than a better bottle.

as usual, being a cheapskate won't get you very far, eh? was trying to save op some mulah.

#27 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

as usual, being a cheapskate won't get you very far, eh? was trying to save op some mulah.

A 6.5 gallon BB is usually like 25.00.Cheap enough for a great product if you ask me. :frantic:

#28 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

truedat :frantic:

#29 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

This thread couldn't have been timed any better, I noticed a small crack in on of my 6.5g glass carboys when brewing on Sunday. I had to pull out the emergency bucket. I was searching out PET bottle manufactures last night in hope of finding a source for a bulk buy. Has anyone ever emailed Better Bottle and asked them why the sides are not straight like a carboy? Is there a technical/stress reason for the bubbled sides or just them saving a few bucks since the water bottle molds can be used?

#30 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

This thread couldn't have been timed any better, I noticed a small crack in on of my 6.5g glass carboys when brewing on Sunday. I had to pull out the emergency bucket. I was searching out PET bottle manufactures last night in hope of finding a source for a bulk buy. Has anyone ever emailed Better Bottle and asked them why the sides are not straight like a carboy? Is there a technical/stress reason for the bubbled sides or just them saving a few bucks since the water bottle molds can be used?

I've never thought to ask, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was for structural reasons to give the sides a little more rigidity. It doesn't make any difference at all though.The only complaint I do have about the better bottle is that you pretty much don't want to be messing with it after you get the airlock on as any pressure difference does cause it to suck in the contents of the airlock. I haven't had it ruin a beer yet, but it is still annoying. So you don't want to be swirling or moving it around much.

#31 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

The only flaw they have, IMO, is that they will suck back the contents of an airlock if lifted while full. However, I think your brew hauler would solve even that little problem.

This flaw led to my only infected batch in my entire brewing career. Doh! :crybaby: I won't make that mistake twice. Still drank the beer too :devil: I love my Better Bottles. Especially my ported ones. Another vote for the BBs here.

#32 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

This flaw led to my only infected batch in my entire brewing career. Doh! :crybaby: I won't make that mistake twice. Still drank the beer too :devil: I love my Better Bottles. Especially my ported ones. Another vote for the BBs here.

It was sanitizer in your airlock right? I wouldn't think that would be a source for infection. Maybe coincidence?

#33 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

It was sanitizer in your airlock right? I wouldn't think that would be a source for infection. Maybe coincidence?

Sanitizer in the airlock won't help much if it sucks in dirty air in a musty basement like mine. Sounds like a tight balloon over the airlock during transport is a good idea here.

#34 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

It was star-san, but it doesn't stay sanitary forever. I pulled a sample from the BB's port, but forgot to remove the airlock and it pulled month old airlock juice into my beer. The sample I pulled that day was delicious. 1 week later it had an obvious lacto infection. :crybaby:

#35 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

It was star-san, but it doesn't stay sanitary forever. I pulled a sample from the BB's port, but forgot to remove the airlock and it pulled month old airlock juice into my beer. The sample I pulled that day was delicious. 1 week later it had an obvious lacto infection. :crybaby:

Sounds like a good time to bring out the still. Hypothetically speaking of course. :devil:

#36 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

A 6.5 gallon BB is usually like 25.00.Cheap enough for a great product if you ask me. :crybaby:

$25 doesn't seem too bad, but I like my plastic buckets with the spigot and spigot guard.

#37 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

$25 doesn't seem too bad, but I like my plastic buckets with the spigot and spigot guard.

You can get BB with a hole and a spigot. Just sayin. https://www.northern...d-6-gallon.htmlAnd check out the other Better Bottle accessories too:https://www.northern...nt/carboys-jugs

#38 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:15 AM

... The only flaw they have, IMO, is that they will suck back the contents of an airlock if lifted while full. However, I think your brew hauler would solve even that little problem. ...

I can wholeheartedly agree with this.

#39 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

... I love my Better Bottles. Especially my ported ones. ...

The racking port is probably the neatest thing about them. No more siphoning!

#40 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:27 AM

The racking port is probably the neatest thing about them. No more siphoning!

I have some but they aren't ported. Those racking accessories appear to cost as much as he bottle itself. Am I missing something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users