#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

I know a bunch of you use better bottles or whatever they are called. Do any of you use them in a swamp cooler situation? I want to get some more carboys and I was considering these since they are cheaper. The problem is that I ferment in a swamp cooler and I think they would float on me/ possibly turn over. Anyone have this problem?My set up:I use a 120 quart cooler open topped for the swamp cooler. I fill it with cool water and it is in a dark closet. I can put two carboys in at once. The glass ones are heavy enough to sink.Cheers,Rich

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

I know a bunch of you use better bottles or whatever they are called. Do any of you use them in a swamp cooler situation? I want to get some more carboys and I was considering these since they are cheaper. The problem is that I ferment in a swamp cooler and I think they would float on me/ possibly turn over. Anyone have this problem?My set up:I use a 120 quart cooler open topped for the swamp cooler. I fill it with cool water and it is in a dark closet. I can put two carboys in at once. The glass ones are heavy enough to sink.Cheers,Rich

If the water doesn't go much over the beer level I can't see why this would be a problem. The beer should be a higher gravity than the water as well.

#3 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

Back before I had a ferm fridge, what I found to work really well is the regular 60qt Cube coolers. Instead of the mess and hassle of the water bath, I simply put the Better Bottle in there with two frozen 20 oz water bottles in the corners. I wrapped the top with a couple of heavy towels. Seemed to hold around 67 degrees EXTREMELY well. I never found the water bath thing to work too well for me. I had trouble keeping good temps, even with the T-shirt and fan trick (plus the T-shirt would mold very quickly)I think those cube coolers can be had for around $10-15.

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48096 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

They don't float as long as they're full.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Well I understand about density, but water displacement is the key. I like to keep the water level as high as it will go so I have the most thermal mass available while fermenting. That keeps temp swings in check easier. The set up I have works and its convenient, that isn't the problem. I have ice cube coolers too, and used to use them, but one started leaking and if I want to do 2 carboys at once I have to use two cubes. One big cooler was convenient.So, I can spend the extra $20 and get glass carboys and not worry about it, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone had problems with floating or tipping carboys.Cheers,Rich

#6 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

All the time. I use one 5 gal or two 3 gal BBs in an Ice Cube cooler with water bath and ice jugs. They do not float if the beer level is at or above the water level. Tilt them as you put them in to let the bubble out from under the BB.- Jim

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

I do this all the time. If the water level doesn't go above the level of liquid in the BB, then it will not become buoyant.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48096 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

...So, I can spend the extra $20 and get glass carboys and not worry about it, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone had problems with floating or tipping carboys.Cheers,Rich

AFAIC, nobody should ever buy glass carboys again now that BB's are available and cheaper. The only exception you might talk me into for that would be very long term aging. BB's will NOT float, as long as you make sure not to fill the water up past the beer level on the inside, they can't. Most of the time they won't float even if you do because of the higher density of the beer vs water.

#9 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

I was reading that the krausen is a PITA to get off...BBs being plastic would scratch relatively easily, or is the krausen just during primary?

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

AFAIC, nobody should ever buy glass carboys again now that BB's are available and cheaper. The only exception you might talk me into for that would be very long term aging. BB's will NOT float, as long as you make sure not to fill the water up past the beer level on the inside, they can't. Most of the time they won't float even if you do because of the higher density of the beer vs water.

Do you ever have a problem cleaning them? I would think that after 5-6 beers or so and some solid brushing that the insides would become a haven for bacteria. How long do they tend to last?Cheers,Rich

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Do you ever have a problem cleaning them? I would think that after 5-6 beers or so and some solid brushing that the insides would become a haven for bacteria. How long do they tend to last?

I definitely wouldn't brush them. I don't even brush my glass carboys because it can scratch the neck.

#12 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

A good warm PBW soak has always cleaned mine up.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

I definitely wouldn't brush them. I don't even brush my glass carboys because it can scratch the neck.

I brush mine. The only thing that seems to stick is some granules from the oxyclean if I let it soak too long.Cheers,Rich

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48096 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

I don't brush mine at all. Well, occasionally, if I'm in a hurry I'll gently brush around the krausen ring. But brushing is never necessary if you let them soak overnight in oxyclean or PBW solution of hot water. They always come clean - in fact they're easier to clean than carboys, IMO, because they are so much lighter and you don't need to brush them.

#15 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

A good warm PBW soak has always cleaned mine up.

Totally this. PBW is amazing at cleaning my Better Bottles. Every time I'm like :frantic: "holy cow that worked great!"

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

How sturdy are they? The ones I saw at my LHBS (possibly not the better bottle brand) looked like a pretty flimsy thin plastic.Cheers,Rich

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

How sturdy are they? The ones I saw at my LHBS (possibly not the better bottle brand) looked like a pretty flimsy thin plastic.Cheers,Rich

They aren't too thick, and they are pretty flexible. I wouldn't worry about it. I LOVE my Better Bottles and would rather use them instead of the glass just out of safety. I will get a couple more over time to replace all of my glass. I hate the glass.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:16 PM

They aren't too thick, and they are pretty flexible. I wouldn't worry about it. I LOVE my Better Bottles and would rather use them instead of the glass just out of safety. I will get a couple more over time to replace all of my glass. I hate the glass.

I don't mind the glass so much now that I have a brew hauler. MUCH easier to deal with. Only reason I am considering the better bottle is because they are MUCH cheaper. I have like 3 buckets from me buying one, my buddy giving me one, and my FFIL giving me his old true brew bucket from about 20 years ago.Cheers,Rich

#19 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

I don't mind the glass so much now that I have a brew hauler. MUCH easier to deal with. Only reason I am considering the better bottle is because they are MUCH cheaper. I have like 3 buckets from me buying one, my buddy giving me one, and my FFIL giving me his old true brew bucket from about 20 years ago.Cheers,Rich

My advice is to not have any worries about using the Better Bottles if they aren't scratched on the inside. Mine have been perfect with every brew I've done with them. Also factor in that you have to get new stoppers as it is a #10 size. :frantic:

#20 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48096 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

If they were BB brand, they have a big clear stick-on label that it's likely you would remember. So they might not have been BB's. Were they bluish, whitish or clear? BB's are perfectly clear. They're thin, but also pretty tough. I've purchased three starting around 3 years ago, and with the exception of one that I accidentally drained 170F water into, they are still in perfect shape and serving me well except for some scuffs on the outside bottom that don't affect anything. Even the 170F one just got malformed a bit and I still use it for pre-boil stuff like collecting water from the RO filter or holding sanitizer.If you have any doubts, just buy one and I think you'll be a convert. They are SO much better than glass - in piece of mind if nothing else. I know that when I work with glass I'm always super careful and always plan out my walk paths and stuff even when they're empty. I'm always extra careful when washing because they're slippery when wet. Glass just makes me nervous, even though I've never been cut (though I have had one break). There is a heightened stress level, I guess, that just isn't present with BB's. I've literally tossed a BB (empty) a few feet because I needed to get it out of the way ASAP to stop something overflowing. It hit, tottered and fell over, but that was it; I've used it 100 times since then. You can also safely pressurize a BB with CO2 to move beer without worrying about overpressure shattering it.The only flaw they have, IMO, is that they will suck back the contents of an airlock if lifted while full. However, I think your brew hauler would solve even that little problem.I sound like I own stock in the company, I know, but I'm very impressed with these things. I would go so far as to say that replacing glass with BBs is the single most cut-and-dried improvement in equipment since I started brewing 5-ish years ago. In that time, I've heard of dozens of brewers who've switched to BB's and got rid of all their glass. Conversely, I've never heard of a BB brewer switching back to glass.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users