#21 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

update: i talked to midwest and they were adamant that neither the scratches nor the stain would create a sanitation risk as long as i sanitized thoroughly with starsan. they refused to do anything to help me out. i'll wait for chicompany to get their next lot and go ahead and grab a few from them.

Aaand there is a place i'll never buy from. They should have swapped the keg. I guess the only thing I can think of that they are cautious over is that they might think that you are swapping an old one of yours out for them to give you a replacement with. Still not a way to run a business if you ask me. Word of mouth is a powerful thing yo.

#22 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

i just googled images for stainless steel pitting, and that may be what it is. i only found a couple of pictures, and all of those showed what appeared to be pretty deep pitting. if it is pitting, it's barely on the surface and not really deep into the metal.

#23 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

i just googled images for stainless steel pitting, and that may be what it is. i only found a couple of pictures, and all of those showed what appeared to be pretty deep pitting. if it is pitting, it's barely on the surface and not really deep into the metal.

But if there's any pitting you're gonna have a hard time getting it sanitized.

#24 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Can you maybe give us a heads up if you hear anything when they come in? :crybaby:

No problem, I'll keep my brewing brothers informed as best I can. :devil:

#25 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:38 AM

Aaand there is a place i'll never buy from. They should have swapped the keg. I guess the only thing I can think of that they are cautious over is that they might think that you are swapping an old one of yours out for them to give you a replacement with. Still not a way to run a business if you ask me. Word of mouth is a powerful thing yo.

This! I am thinking that I will look elsewhere to get my brewing equipment when I get back from Iraq. There are plenty of places that sell brewing equipment and I would much rather support a place that has outstanding customer service than someone that doesn't stand behind their product.This is what Stabby thinks about it---> :crybaby: Midwest SuppliesHope you can get some other kegs for cheap!! :devil:

#26 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

Maybe you could take a video. My crackberry takes video with or without the LED light on (so bright its a useful flashlight in a pinch). Only way I can think of to get a good view. It sucks that they won't stand behind their product. I may send an e-mail to them asking them if I have a scratch like you are describing in my keg, whether I should be able to sanitize it and use it, or if they would reccomend getting a "new" keg. :crybaby:

#27 AGrandDesign

AGrandDesign

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2287 posts
  • LocationThe Upside down

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

I've never dealt with these folks but their prices are reasonable and the last time I googled for reviews I found a couple positives and no negatives.I found them AFTER I was stocked up on kegs so have them bookmarked when my needs expand (again). Note my previous search found that even though they show ball locks they may only have pinsMy link

#28 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

No problem, I'll keep my brewing brothers informed as best I can. :crybaby:

Thanks to you my brewing brother. :devil: I think I probably should buy another bundle of 4..... just in case.

#29 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks to you my brewing brother. :smilielol: I think I probably should buy another bundle of 4..... just in case.

That's exactly what I am going to do.

#30 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

I know if I ever catch another deal getting them for $14 each I'll be stocking up. I've only got 20.

#31 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

I've never dealt with these folks but their prices are reasonable and the last time I googled for reviews I found a couple positives and no negatives.I found them AFTER I was stocked up on kegs so have them bookmarked when my needs expand (again). Note my previous search found that even though they show ball locks they may only have pinsMy link

You might have missed them before because they are a relatively new company. They are the guys I called a few months back. The "ball Locks" they have are actually pin locks that have machined, anodized aluminum posts with the right ball lock shape. The guy I talked to was super nice and seemed like a good outfit to work with. My only concern (some might remember my thread on the topic) was the use of the anodized aluminum on a beer-contact item. For some reason, I cant get past that. If I could be convinced otherwise, I would seriously consider buying from them.

#32 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

You might have missed them before because they are a relatively new company. They are the guys I called a few months back. The "ball Locks" they have are actually pin locks that have machined, anodized aluminum posts with the right ball lock shape. The guy I talked to was super nice and seemed like a good outfit to work with. My only concern (some might remember my thread on the topic) was the use of the anodized aluminum on a beer-contact item. For some reason, I cant get past that. If I could be convinced otherwise, I would seriously consider buying from them.

Tell you what. Everyone chip in and get a 4 pack of the ball locks sent to me and I will fill them with beer and see how it does. :smilielol:

#33 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Another vote for CL. I picked up 13 ball locks today for $250. Not an insane deal, but it's tough to get kegs to your door for $19/ea nowadays. Even the online places with good deals still end up coming out to $25+ per keg with shipping. Cutting out shipping on cornies adds up if you are stockpiling them. Unfortunately, the days of $8 kegs deals are dead, so you gotta take what you can get.

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

Do you know if this is the same guy who was selling cornies on HomeBrewTalk.com? I almost bought some from a guy over there who was buying them in bulk in the Ohio area. He was selling them for very similar pricing as that website linked above.

#35 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

update:i soaked the keg in star san for a few days and the stain inside the keg is now gone. I am thinking it was some sort of mildew/mold growth that the oxyclean would not remove.

#36 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

I don't think anyone's mentioned Adventures in Homebrewing yet -- they've been selling kegs for years. Sometimes really dirty, but with some work, they should be fine.

#37 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

I don't think anyone's mentioned Adventures in Homebrewing yet -- they've been selling kegs for years. Sometimes really dirty, but with some work, they should be fine.

$80 for four kegs isnt a bad price. But $45 in shipping (to me anyway) seems a little steep.

#38 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

Hell, I don’t even look at shipping any more since it’s all outrageous to me!

#39 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10823 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:19 AM

Anyone remember the old days and the guy that went by the name of "The Keg King". He burned a lot of people...may even still be in jail. Luckily I lived close to hime and scored a pickup truck load of about 75 kegs. Too bad I don't have any left :)

#40 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

I bought a bunch of kegs from him I was probably the one last shipments before things went bad. He still owes me a box o' parts lol. I linked a thread I could find earlier in the thread from NB. I think the GB deleted the origional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users