40 replies to this topic

#1 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

Hey, I am just getting into brewing my own, and I have opted to primarily keg most of my beer. I recently bought a keg from Midwest Supplies after shopping around and figuring out that they were a pretty good source. However, the keg came in pretty bad shape. There's quite a bit of rust on the outside (it looks like somebody was welding close to the keg and some welding material splashed on the keg). It has a lot of scratches on the inside, like somebody used sandpaper in it. In addition to the scratches on the inside, there's some sort of stain that will not come out, even after soaking overnight in oxiclean. I also noticed that the keg was not cleaned with caustic soda like they claim. This was apparent because it was a Dr. Pepper keg and there was most definitely Dr. Pepper in the keg. I recently noticed that Midwest Supplies has added a message on their site that says:"Note: we have a new supplier of soda kegs. Most kegs from our new supplier have stickers on them and have not had extensive cleaning to the outside of the keg. As with most "used" soda kegs we recommend that you thoroughly clean the keg inside and out. Goo Gone, Scotch Brite pads, and elbow grease will take care of any stickers on the outside of kegs should you wish to remove them."I am not sure if this has anything to do with the crappy keg I got, but I don't want to take my chances anymore. Interestingly enough, I began looking around online and noticed that several other sites have recently added similar messages. Have any of you bought used kegs recently, and if so, where from? I am going to purchase a couple of additional kegs in the near future, and I want to make sure that I get good ones.

#2 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

Sorry, I realize I just posted this in the wrong section. Kick the noob, please.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

I had decent luck with the refurbed midwest kegs. The refurbed B3 kegs seem good too. I did get some non-refurbed kegs from B3 and one of them was in pretty awful shape. I won't be buying kegs that haven't been refurbed again b/c I think even though the only difference should be the o-rings and cleanliness I don't think that's the case. I think the refurbed kegs are more likely to be in working condition b/c in the process of refurbing them I think there is some amount of screening that goes on. In the case of non-refurbed the screening is minimal. I know this isn't exactly the answer to your question it's what I've got. Looking for HBers that are getting out of the hobby might be a good idea to get a deal on something that is in good working order.

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

I've had great luck with barkeepers friend on the exterior.Not too sure if PBW would be better than Oxiclean at removing the stain, but I'd give it a shot.Some of my kegs are refurbed by the mfr. That means welded seams and patches. Some do have sanded interiors.If too coarse it could cause sanitization problems. I've not seen any yet.Don't forget to check the FAQs for O ring sources if you intend to get a few more kegs.It makes the rebuilds cheaper. Otherwise frequent your LHBS.BTW, we were ALL n00bs once.Welcome. :frantic:

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

Craigslist. I got all of my cornies from keeping an eye on Craigslist. Search for keg, beer, cornelius. I can usually get them for 25.00 a piece. That seems to be the going rate for private party sales.Also, for the o-rings make sure to get them from McMaster Carr. I have the part numbers somewhere if you need them. But you can get packs of 50 or 100 i think of the o-rings for the posts, and a pack of 10 of the big o-rings for the lids for a much better price than anywhere else.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

Welcome to the board!While it is nice to have a neat exterior, what really matters is the inside. No amount of getting labels off the exterior will help if you have scratches on the interior. I would think you run a risk of infection. Don't know how to help you there. But... if you want a nice clean exterior, put the keg in a garbage can and fill it with water to weight it down. Then fill the can with hot water and Oxyclean. Let it sit for a couple days. All labels will slide off and any other gunk on the exterior will be removed as well.I got 3 kegs from Midwest, but they were refurbs. If you want the "guarantee" thats what you want to order if it is "site unseen". Otherwise, Baddog's Craiglist method would work well because you can always "reject" the item. You would, however, have to replace the O-Rings to be safe.

#7 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

https://www.chicompany.netThis place used to be my go to place. They used to have bundles of corny kegs reasonably priced. Doesnt look like it any more.

#8 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

I got 3 kegs from Midwest, but they were refurbs. If you want the "guarantee" thats what you want to order if it is "site unseen".

The keg was supposed to be recondition. Is there a difference between that and refurb (I would assume it's the same). This is the link:https://www.midwests...k-soda-keg.htmlI hear ya about the inside being what counts. It's really the inside of the keg that's bothering me the most...the combination of the relatively deep scratching (could this really cause sanitation problems?) and the mystery stain (looks like mildew) that cannot be removed. I tried soaking overnight in oxiclean with no luck on the stain.I'll probably end up getting a few more kegs and just use this one for a Star San tank or something like that.Oh, and thanks for the welcome! I have a lot of questions, so you'll probably see me posting quite a bit in the next few days/weeks.

#9 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

I bought almost all of my kegs some time ago 5-6 years ago. 20+ kegs.I purchased 12 of them from the notorious Keg King who had a ton of kegs selling them for 8 bucks a piece or something ridiculous like that. Anyway, I managed to get 12 from him I think but many people got screwed over. There were many threads on varoius forums about it. There was one on the GB that has long vanished but NB had a versionstill on the net. It makes for some good drama :frantic: You can find them on Ebay usually for about 100 for 4. Try kegkits.com try to call the guy, as he is closing and has been trying to liquidate his inventory. I have gotten them from a homebrewshop in Co before too.These have been going overseas and supplies are drying up and prices are reflecting this as well.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

The keg was supposed to be recondition. Is there a difference between that and refurb (I would assume it's the same). This is the link:https://www.midwests...k-soda-keg.htmlI hear ya about the inside being what counts. It's really the inside of the keg that's bothering me the most...the combination of the relatively deep scratching (could this really cause sanitation problems?) and the mystery stain (looks like mildew) that cannot be removed. I tried soaking overnight in oxiclean with no luck on the stain.I'll probably end up getting a few more kegs and just use this one for a Star San tank or something like that.Oh, and thanks for the welcome! I have a lot of questions, so you'll probably see me posting quite a bit in the next few days/weeks.

If it were me and the keg was THAT bad, I would call Midwest and see what they can do about it. For 30.00 and for it to show up in basically unusable condition? That would piss me off.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

That's an expensive starsan tank! I suppose you could keep it filled with Beer Line Cleaner.Call Midwest and see what they will do for you. While I haven't had a problem of that magnitude when purchasing from them, they have been helpful to me when I call in.

#12 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

i think yall are right...i should call them to see if they will do something. good to know they're helpful.

#13 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

That's an expensive starsan tank! I suppose you could keep it filled with Beer Line Cleaner.Call Midwest and see what they will do for you. While I haven't had a problem of that magnitude when purchasing from them, they have been helpful to me when I call in.

+1.I was refraining from saying anything but honestly if I got a tank in that kind of condition I'd be pissed. I resold kegs for a little while before supplies dried up. Hundreds of kegs went through my hands and I don't think I ever saw one with rust on the outside and visible deep scratches on the inside. I've had good dealings with Midwest so from my experience they are a stand up bunch.

#14 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

https://www.chicompany.netThis place used to be my go to place. They used to have bundles of corny kegs reasonably priced. Doesnt look like it any more.

I work 1/4 mile from them. I stopped in the other day and they are waiting to get about another 8000 kegs or so. They'll eventually go back online with keg sales but after this initial lot, it's not looking like there'll be more to get unfortunately.

#15 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

update: i talked to midwest and they were adamant that neither the scratches nor the stain would create a sanitation risk as long as i sanitized thoroughly with starsan. they refused to do anything to help me out. i'll wait for chicompany to get their next lot and go ahead and grab a few from them.

#16 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

update: i talked to midwest and they were adamant that neither the scratches nor the stain would create a sanitation risk as long as i sanitized thoroughly with starsan. they refused to do anything to help me out. i'll wait for chicompany to get their next lot and go ahead and grab a few from them.

Wow that's more than a little disappointing. Unsatisfied with the quality of a product is just that. Hopefully I'm imagining this keg being worse than it actually is. I know I'll think twice before ordering a used keg from midwest. I will say I ordered my taps from them years ago with no trouble but those were all new products.

#17 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26175 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

can you post some pics of the keg in question? That just plain sucks ... sorry man.

#18 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hopefully I'm imagining this keg being worse than it actually is.

I wish I could get a good pic of it. There are 4 scratches/gouges in the bottom of the keg that are about 3" long and at least 1mm deep. This is in addition to the entire bottom looking like it has been sanded with fairly rough sandpaper. About half way down the inside of the keg, there is a section about 5" tall that wraps about halfway around the inside of the tank that is darkly stained and it can't be removed. It looks like patches of mildew, but i don't think that's what it is. I may get real brave and give it a quick rinse in a weak clorox solution, but i'm a little nervous about doing that. I'm not an overly picky person, but this isn't something that i would expect to see in a keg. I will try it out, after giving it another thorough cleaning/soaking with oxifree and a very thorough rinse with starsan. Nonetheless, I won't be getting anymore kegs from midwest (although I will still go to them for new stuff). I found some decent deals on ebay for refurb kegs. I think I'll give those a shot.

#19 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I work 1/4 mile from them. I stopped in the other day and they are waiting to get about another 8000 kegs or so. They'll eventually go back online with keg sales but after this initial lot, it's not looking like there'll be more to get unfortunately.

Can you maybe give us a heads up if you hear anything when they come in? :crybaby:

#20 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

i tried to take a pic again, but it's either going to be too dark in the keg to see it or there's going to be nothing but a glare from the light. i'll try to take a pic outside tomorrow morning before work and post it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users