- - - - -

PH In a Batch Sparge

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

Sorry for the stupid newbie question...but...I just recently started to batch sparge (its just easier). When I used to fly sparge I was adding lactic acid to keep the PH in the sparge water under 6.0. But when using palmers spreadsheet I noticed that when you add lactic acid in the mix it tends to throw off your RA, so I am just not going to use it anymore. I dont think I needed it to begin with. My last batch I left out the lactic acid and did the first batch sparge in a very long time. I am not sure but I think I am picking up some astringency in the finished beer. My question is, is it possible to extract tannins with a batch sparge? Can you possible over sparge with batch sparging?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

My question is, is it possible to extract tannins with a batch sparge?

I believe the answer to this is yes but the pH and the temperature (too high) have to be off. I've been using the palmer spreadsheet as well and I don't seem to have any problems with tannins that I can detect.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

I believe the answer to this is yes but the pH and the temperature (too high) have to be off. I've been using the palmer spreadsheet as well and I don't seem to have any problems with tannins that I can detect.

+1If you over sparged batch sparging you'd have a HUGE boil volume. I think you'd notice. As Zym said I'd suspect pH and the strike and sparge temps before I looked at over sparging.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

Anything's possible but tannin extraction is much less likely batch sparging. That's one of the nice things about it, pH is more stable than with fly sparging. Unless you have really bad water I doubt thats' the issue.

#5 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25639 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

The pH of your mash is just as important with batch sparging as it is with fly sparging.When you are mashing (converting starches to sugar) the mash does not know which sparging technique you are going to use an hour in the furture.If you get the mash pH right, the batch sparge pH will follow. With a typical batch sparge, you never dillute the water around the grains to the point that pH, tannins, husks are a concern.zymot

#6 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I know my my mash PH was correct, however I typically don't check my sparge (not sparge water) for PH levels if my my mash PH is correct,zymot. So, that answers my question to what I was tasting was a hop bitterness as opposed to a tannin astringency. This is what I was hoping for. Whew!

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48015 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

The pH of your mash is just as important with batch sparging as it is with fly sparging.When you are mashing (converting starches to sugar) the mash does not know which sparging technique you are going to use an hour in the furture.If you get the mash pH right, the batch sparge pH will follow. With a typical batch sparge, you never dillute the water around the grains to the point that pH, tannins, husks are a concern.zymot

This

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

.............When you are mashing (converting starches to sugar) the mash does not know which sparging technique you are going to use an hour in the furture.........zymot

True, but pH can rise when you're fly sparging. I don't bother monitoring it anymore because it's been consistently well below 6.0 whether I'm brewing a Kolsch or a Stout. Guess I'm being picky.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

Great one more thing to check and think about. :blush: Cheers,Rich

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Great one more thing to check and think about. :blush: Cheers,Rich

I would not sweat it on this one. I have fly sparged for 3 years now and never checked the pH and never had any issues either. Just keep rocking as you are and don't let the potential complexity of all grain get to you. You can be as in depth and as simple as you like and still make good beer. I prefer the simpler route and its gone great. Just my $0.02

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

I would not sweat it on this one. I have fly sparged for 3 years now and never checked the pH and never had any issues either. Just keep rocking as you are and don't let the potential complexity of all grain get to you. You can be as in depth and as simple as you like and still make good beer. I prefer the simpler route and its gone great. Just my $0.02

I batch sparge. I'm having enough trouble tweaking my system still. Its good to know that its not as much of a problem. I just don't want to complicate things too much yet.BTW: what will astringency taste like?Cheers,Rich

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

I batch sparge. I'm having enough trouble tweaking my system still. Its good to know that its not as much of a problem. I just don't want to complicate things too much yet.BTW: what will astringency taste like?Cheers,Rich

Suck on a fresh tea bag. The puckering you get that is different from bitterness. Back of the tongue is where you get the sensation. Keep your grainbed under 170df and it is very unlikely to happen. I fly with 170df water all the time and it doesn't happen here. Relax about it, unless you have a bad day and really screw things up, or decide 3# of black patent is a good idea in a 5 gal batch it probably won't happen.Once you get used to your setup and can run through a batch easily then it might be time to start tweaking these things.

#13 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

I have to disagree. Although "most water is good for most beer", it is not all things for all beers. I strongly recommend learning about your water and mash pH.Call your water board and ask for the levels of calcium, magnesium, sodium, carbonates/alkalinity, sulfates, chlorides and chlorine/chloramine. And read John Palmer's How To Brew. He has the best explanation of mash pH I have seen.My Denver water has low residual alkalinity so it is great for pale-colored beers, but sucks for Porters and Stouts. That's why they brew pale beer in Pilzn and stouts in Dublin. John Palmer did a nice demonstrtion of this at the 2007 NHC.

#14 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

Suck on a fresh tea bag. The puckering you get that is different from bitterness. Back of the tongue is where you get the sensation. Keep your grainbed under 170df and it is very unlikely to happen. I fly with 170df water all the time and it doesn't happen here. Relax about it, unless you have a bad day and really screw things up, or decide 3# of black patent is a good idea in a 5 gal batch it probably won't happen.Once you get used to your setup and can run through a batch easily then it might be time to start tweaking these things.

Definitely true but I can see the confusion between astringency and hop bitterness. Also, the sparge temp has to be below 170 but it also must have a lower PH than 6.0. This is why I was concerned about batch sparging, I was fearing the immediate rise in PH with batch as compared to a rising PH as in fly sparging.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Definitely true but I can see the confusion between astringency and hop bitterness. Also, the sparge temp has to be below 170 but it also must have a lower PH than 6.0. This is why I was concerned about batch sparging, I was fearing the immediate rise in PH with batch as compared to a rising PH as in fly sparging.

The way it works is diminishing buffering capacity of the mash when you fly - thus the pH may rise, or it might not depending on water and grainbill. If you do two runnings batch sparging your pH of the second runnings will be steady from whatever it is when you start draining. It's harder to get astringency batch sparging unless you get wild and do 3,4,5 runnings.

#16 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

Technically bitterness is a flavor, you taste it with your taste receptors. Astringency is a mouthfeel. It's more of a sensation caused by the precipitation of polyphenols on your tongue. The two can typically be distinguished quite easily.

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

Technically bitterness is a flavor, you taste it with your taste receptors. Astringency is a mouthfeel. It's more of a sensation caused by the precipitation of polyphenols on your tongue. The two can typically be distinguished quite easily.

go suck a tea bagPosted Image

#18 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

Good one DJ. :blush: That maybe technicaly right, but I equate astringency to bad iced tea for example. I've had very astringent iced tea(made with some sort of drip iced tea maker....very astringent). IMO astringency seems like a different bitterness and really unpleasant. I've also had coffee that was extremely astringent as well, usually made with a drip coffee maker. I assume the coffee or tea does not have enough buffering power to keep whatever PH level is necessary, and is therefore astringent. extreme bitterness and astringency are both unpleasant IMO.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

My question is, is it possible to extract tannins with a batch sparge? Can you possible over sparge with batch sparging?

Possible, yes, but you really have to work at it! I'd say that if you do more than 2 sparge additions, you should strat to check your pH to make sure it's OK. But, AFAIAC, if you;re doing more than 2 sparge additions, you need to get a larger cooler or just switch to fly sparging.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Stupid batch sparging question: Should I mash in with enough water to get equal volume runnings, ie if I have 1.25 gallons of absorption in the mash and I want 7 gallons of wort I should do the first with 4.75 and the second with 3.5?Another question: after you add the sparge water for the second runnings and stir it in, should you let it rest and for how long?(I have been letting it sit for 10-15 minutes while i do other stuffs)Cheers,RichEdit: I just read Denny's instructions again. I guess I should be only using the amount needed for the mash, and then adding for the first run. I have been adding enough for the first run. How would this affect the beer, if at all assuming the mash temps are right?

Edited by rcemech, 24 May 2010 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users