• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

He said something about 1gal containers. So I'm guessing he is using good old fashion jug wine style bottles. I'd suggest getting a pyrex flask to just boil in. Once you go flask you never go back!

I've go 1 flask i can boil in, but I am making two starters (different yeast), so I have to use one of my 'Jug Wine Style' bottles to. I fetched som iodaphor this afternoon and made starters. The worst part is that I think my iodaphor is at my neighbor's house, who is out of town. They just don't make reliable neighbors like the used to....

#22 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:35 AM

Would peroxyacetic acid have worked as a sanitizer? I forgot the ratio, but if you have vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, you can make your own peroxyacetic acid. I remember it being a good cleaner, but not sure if it would work as a sanitizer (I think so, but someone with more knowledge should chime in).

#23 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29325 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

bleach 80ppm make sure the ph is below 8 2 min contact time = no rinse. Home brewers were using bleach for a long time before stan star and iodphor is isn't anything to be afraid of. The one thing you need to do that a lot of people forget is getting the ph below 8. Mix the bleach in the water then add the acid (white vinegar would work). You need the ph below 8 to be an affective killer but a ph above 8 will make thing whiter (BAM?).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users