• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

I'm geared up to make a starter, but realize I have no Sanitizer(I use iodaphor). Is there anything else, maybe household product, that can sub for sanitizer for my glass 1 gallon containers? OR should I just wait until tomorrow and try to round up some sanitizer?I was at the brew store today and thought about grabbing a bottle of Iodaphor, but swore I had some at home. I guess I was wrong.Thanks.

#2 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

Diluted bleach always works, but I'm weird about using bleach. Did I rinse enough to avoid off flavors? Did I rinse too much and re-infect my gear? Bah! :rolleyes: I'll usually just use boiling water in a pinch. In fact, when making starters, I never use sanitizer. The act of boiling water in my flask sanitizes it in the process.

#3 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

yeah, i've always been reluctant to use bleach for the same reasons. i have one flask that I can boil in, but I need to make two starters. I guess the safe thing is to wait until tomorrow.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

clean out as perfect as you can rinse thoroughly and put in a few oz of Vodka, swirl to coat the inside , repeat, repeat, repeat, drain, go?

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

What kind of cleaner do you use? I use Iodophor as well for my starters but thats been more of a recent addition. I don't see why if you are using a good cleaner just clean and make you starter. If you are only using Iodophor then yes I would wait till you get more too.

#6 Calder

Calder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:47 AM

Use bleach. Roughly 1 teaspoon to a gallon. Contact time should be more than Idophor. Bleach will actually clean as well as sanitize. It will do a better job than Idophor, but is not a 'no-rinse' sanitizer. Once the vessel is empty, rinse twice with a small amount of hot water. Cold water will not get rid of it, but hot water does a great job. Assuming you trust your water, then you are good to go.I leave bleach solution in all my fermenters, and my racking hoses get sanitized by it both before and after use. I generally reserve idophor for bottling and starters because it is more convienient.

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

The idea of the vodka is a pretty good one. You could also use steam. the trick is if you are using a 1-gal glass jug, making sure some amount of the steam gets inside to bottle. But even just the heat of it applied for a good amount of time should do a pretty good job.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:04 AM

In a pinch you can sanitize with a bleach solution and rinse with a metabisulfite solution to resanitize and knock out the chorine.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

clean out as perfect as you can rinse thoroughly and put in a few oz of Vodka, swirl to coat the inside , repeat, repeat, repeat, drain, go?

Bacteria-tinis!

#10 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19228 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

I'm geared up to make a starter, but realize I have no Sanitizer(I use iodaphor). Is there anything else, maybe household product, that can sub for sanitizer for my glass 1 gallon containers?

If it fits in your dishwasher, washing it without any soap will heat sterilize it.If it fits in your microwave, a few minutes on HIGH with boiling water in it will sterilize it.Bleach also works, I used bleach as a sanitizer for years without problems with off-flavors.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

I leave bleach solution in all my fermenters, and my racking hoses get sanitized by it both before and after use. I generally reserve idophor for bottling and starters because it is more convienient.

Do you keep your fermenters filled with bleach solution when not in use?

#12 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

I thought i read somewhere that you can just put it in the oven and sterilize with heat. Im assuming youre using glass or something other than plastic. :devil:

#13 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25637 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Bleach is excellent. Use it full strength. Rinse well with tap water. Then use boiling water to get what ever residual nasties your think your tap water has left behind.

#14 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

Here's John Palmer's chapter on sanitation: https://www.howtobre...apter2-2-3.html

#15 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

Good suggestions. The dishwasher/no soap idea would have been easy. Although I should get comfortable with using bleach in my brewing stuff.What about using a bleach solution with plastic (bucket fermenters, Better bottle, hose, etc.)? Does the bleach leave any residue that can't be removed from plastic?I usually clean all my stuff before and after using, the use iodaphor for the items that need sanitizing.

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

There is an issue with using a dishwasher if it has a Jet Dry dispenser. I think it is in regards to bottles though and head retention.This thread had me thinking, what about denatured alcohol? Doesn't it completely evaporate and it would kill pretty much everything right?

#17 Calder

Calder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

Do you keep your fermenters filled with bleach solution when not in use?

What about using a bleach solution with plastic (bucket fermenters, Better bottle, hose, etc.)? Does the bleach leave any residue that can't be removed from plastic?

I always leave bleach solution in my fermenters. At least halfway, if not all the way up. Obviously it is a lot more effort handling them full. If it's only partially full, I'll be sure to lie it on it's side for a while to ensure all the surfaces are wetted.Three of my fermenters are opaque plastic drum style (flat on top and bottom) with only a 2 inch holes for access. It is difficult to see how clean they are. When I have had a blow-off where I know the wort has gotten into the corners, I clean as best I can and leave filled to the top, or on it's side to ensure the corners get soaked in bleach. The concentration is about 2 tablespoons for 6 gallons (I never measure it, just pour a bit in). These fermenters are nearly 30 years old, home-made wine fermenters, bought from 'Boots' in the UK. I quit wine making 25 years ago, and started brewing beer 15 years ago. They have not been in continual use, but have been used on-and off, and have probably spent the best part of 10 years either with wort or mild bleach solution in them. While I had a few contaminated batches early on, it was not from fermenter cleanliness, and have not tossed a batch for many years for any reason. I have looked, and have yet to find better fermenters. I do have some glass carboys, but they are really for secondary as I'm not moving them around when full.My hoses get soaked in bleach solution (but are not kept in it), and they get sanitized by transferring the bleach solution in and out of the fermenters, both before and after use. I use a bottling bucket to transfer the bleach solution to and keep my hoses, funnels, blow-off tubes, etc in. I have not had any problems with plastic or hoses.

#18 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

Below is a Basic Brewing Radio link from Charlie Talley (Five Star chemicals). Here is what he said in summary, listen to mp3 for details.- Chlorine doesn't kill until the pH drops to at least 8- Cloudy and/or old bleach is bad because it's broken down - buy small buy new- Household bleach comes at a 5% solution witch equals 50,000ppm- Cheap/store brand bleach has less sodium hydroxide in them. Since your using the chlorine to sanitize, the cheaper the bleach the better. (Caustic is a cleaner)- 1oz of bleach in 5 gallons of water yields 80ppm of chlorine.- 1oz of white distilled vinegar added to this solution will drop the ph to the right level.- ** NEVER MIX VINEGAR AND BLEACH TOGETHER DIRECTLY (poisonous gas) **- At 80 ppm bleach can be used as a no rinse sanitizer, you can hardly taste the bleach in solution at this level.- 30 seconds of contact time is all that is needed provided the vinegar was added to bring the ph down. March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star SanCharlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

#19 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Your just making a starter right?In a pyrex flask right?Clean the thing till it is perfectly clean. Fill it with water. Boil the water (or fill with boiling water. Keep the water over 180F for 15 min.Pour out and your good to go.MolBasser

#20 DigitalTaper

DigitalTaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBinghamton, NY

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

In a pyrex flask right?

He said something about 1gal containers. So I'm guessing he is using good old fashion jug wine style bottles. I'd suggest getting a pyrex flask to just boil in. Once you go flask you never go back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users