Photo
- - - - -

closed top food grade HDPE barrels for fermenters?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

I was going to guess Walt as well, with Colorado connection and Walt is known for big brews.

Though you got beat as to who the guilty party was you may have unknowingly answered the 2nd question (also worth 100 internets) correctly. I'll have to leave that one up to the line ref to call.

#42 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

It was the day after Big Brew. Walt used to brew his Big Ass Barley Wine every year at big brew. [We miss you Walt, please come back to Big Brew. Ain't the same without you.] Duane happened to come into the shop that day where Walt's BABW was fermenting. As most have pointed out, the little airlock couldn't handle the pressure. The plastic bucket deformed so much that the ring clamp couldn't hold the lid on anymore and BOOM. Duane found the lid all the way across the room, 30 feet away.

#43 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

It was the day after Big Brew. Walt used to brew his Big Ass Barley Wine every year at big brew. [We miss you Walt, please come back to Big Brew. Ain't the same without you.] Duane happened to come into the shop that day where Walt's BABW was fermenting. As most have pointed out, the little airlock couldn't handle the pressure. The plastic bucket deformed so much that the ring clamp couldn't hold the lid on anymore and BOOM. Duane found the lid all the way across the room, 30 feet away.

That is awesome!I did a fermentor design in my materials II class in college. I had to calculate the hoops stress and weld strength based on different materials (copper vs stainless) then design the fermemtor to handle the pressure of fermentation should the airlock fail. This is a classic example of why that should be done!Cheers,Rich

#44 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

Just cut a big ass hole out of the top so you can get better access.

#45 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Looks like their catalogue has open top ones too, for $25 - but they are limited availability. MtnBrewer told me today that you already got these closed-top barrels, but keep checking their website for them to add the open-tops.

No he actually got some open top ones from Craigslist. It wasn't these.

#46 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

No he actually got some open top ones from Craigslist. It wasn't these.

+1I forgot to reply to this post but I scored some open top 55 gallon drums that previously held sterile water. Uber cl score. If anybody in Colorado wants one I might be able to get some more.Thanks for keeping an eye out though Guest :frank:

#47 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

I just remembered that my mom has a 100 gallon barrel for rain water collection that she isn't using. Its plastic. Could I have stumbled across a giant primary? Its huge and I would have no way to cool it. :) Plus even brewing 10 gallons at a time I'm guessing it would take me two days to fill it.Cheers,Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users