#21 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

This place does not get the regular and predictable newbie questions that are best answered with "Use the search function."

That is one thing that I think needs to be nipped in the bud if/when a lot of newbies come over here. When someone asks a question, answer it. I've always hated the snipe of "Use the search" as an answer. :facepalm:

#22 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

FYIThe search function here sucks really really bad. I don't know why, but it does. So telling a n00b to use it guarantees that they will end up going elsewhere for help.What would be better would be to refer them to an FAQ, or even answering their question directly. :facepalm:

#23 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

Yea Welcome!Truthfully, I never mind the noob questions. I look at it as a way to refresh the basic knowledge and skills as well as hone the teaching and explanation skills. Plus there is a real excitement to new brewers that is just cool. Plus for every 100 questions that have been asked and answered, there is usually at least one that makes you stop and think. Maybe I am wrong but I have to believe that some of the "advances" that have been made in the homebrewing community have been born in a new brewer's questioning process. my $0.02

#24 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25638 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

That is one thing that I think needs to be nipped in the bud if/when a lot of newbies come over here. When someone asks a question, answer it. I've always hated the snipe of "Use the search" as an answer. :facepalm:

You are right. Having re-read my previous comment, it is snipey.I did not mean "best answered" as in "use the search" is an appropriate reply.I meant that the question could be answered completely by using the search function instead, because the question has been asked and answered so many times.zymot

#25 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

I seldom remember posting after 10 beers.Posted Image

Fixt

#26 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

I hope you stick around and help us grow. :facepalm: I'm running some ads to get new members in. The growth of the greenboard seemed to be exponential, where it took a long time to get the member count to 1,000, less time to get to 2,000, and then it exploded and went to 10,000. I figure we're almost over the hump.

Well, the Greenboard peaked at user #999 :rolf: While some more traffic would be nice here, the amount of posts are manageable - and as long as we all remember to be nice to the noobies when they come things will grow. I also like that there's a good amount of intermediate-level questions here. People aren't afraid to say that they don't know something, and they'll discuss it instead of pronouncing from on high (well, except Basser :rolf: )

#27 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

People aren't afraid to say that they don't know something, and they'll discuss it instead of pronouncing from on high (well, except Basser :rolf: )

Life is good in the Ivory Tower... :facepalm:MolBasser

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

Actually, there's currently an informative discussion about autolysis there.

#29 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Actually, there's currently an informative discussion about autolysis there.

After Jess highly modified it and Denny got involved. It was going south real fast with the mention of Nuggets and a slanderous Bluezer comment tossed in for good measure. I was laughing. I went to check back and roll a troll (Here on the PH) but Jess had deleted a bunch of content and the whole McNugget thing. :rolleyes:

#30 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

After Jess highly modified it and Denny got involved. It was going south real fast with the mention of Nuggets and a slanderous Bluezer comment tossed in for good measure. I was laughing. I went to check back and roll a troll (Here on the PH) but Jess had deleted a bunch of content and the whole McNugget thing. :rolleyes:

Lol, someone should ship him an order of chicken nuggets and some Vagisil. lol

#31 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the atolysis thread is now gone. I actually learned something from it, I didn't know atolyzed yeast was used as a food flavoring. Talk about a knee jerk reaction but I guess that surprises nobody.

#32 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

Maybe someone with knowledge about the subject can start a thread here? I know nothing about the subject myself.

#33 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the atolysis thread is now gone. I actually learned something from it, I didn't know atolyzed yeast was used as a food flavoring. Talk about a knee jerk reaction but I guess that surprises nobody.

Guess I should have used Marmite as an example instead but that would have been boring. Posted Image

#34 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Maybe someone with knowledge about the subject can start a thread here? I know nothing about the subject myself.

You're allowed to start threads. :rolleyes:

#35 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:50 AM

I went back and lurked just because of this thread. I have to say that the topics and discussion were not as lame as they have been in the past. The vibe was still lame though. Maybe an anomaly.Something else weird I noticed was the users. There were a lot of people that had seemingly low post counts, had join dates of more than 2 years ago and screenames that I dont remember. Now, my memory is not perfect but still. So it seems there has been a lot of name changing or tinkering with the statistics. I absolutely could not care less, but it just struck me odd.

#36 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Being new to this forum has been an immense pleasure. The first thing I did was use the search function and it didn't turn anything up so I made a post and got very friendly and informative answers. I think that pinned topics help a lot with new forums members. I have used forums for cars and fish tanks and the pinned topics are typically something that I look for right away. That being said, I will be full of newb questions because, well, I'm a newb. Thank you for everyone that has posted and kindly replied to my newb questions so far though! Overall I would have to say that of the forums that I have used this is my favorite lay out!Just my plug nickel.

Edited by SnailPowered, 22 May 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#37 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

Being new to this forum has been an immense pleasure. The first thing I did was use the search function and it didn't turn anything up so I made a post and got very friendly and informative answers. I think that pinned topics help a lot with new forums members. I have used forums for cars and fish tanks and the pinned topics are typically something that I look for right away. That being said, I will be full of newb questions because, well, I'm a newb. Thank you for everyone that has posted and kindly replied to my newb questions so far though! Overall I would have to say that of the forums that I have used this is my favorite lay out!Just my plug nickel.

What kind of cars?

#38 SnailPowered

SnailPowered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationMosul, Iraq for now stationed at Ft Stewart, Ga trying to go to Ft Lewis, Wa

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

While it is off subject, I own a 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 and I learned an AMAZING amount from the forums on that car. I have also looked into other forums for Toyota Supras, Nissan 300ZXs, and AMC cars. I currently own a 1969 AMC Rambler that I am planning on having a stock outer appearance with modern sports car suspension and a fuel injected-turbo charged inline six.

#39 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

I agree with all of the above. The green board is dead as Dillinger. I started out on that board,just because Jess is my LHBS. I remember when the whole "thing " went down and all of the good mods were booted( Mtn and George). I didn't take sides but I pretty much stop frequenting that board after that fiasco. It seems that all the regulars (Basser,Denny,and even Ken) jumped to Brews Bros. I used to check that board everyday, but when all the mods got booted it seems the traffic died almost completely. I took the link out of my favorites,why check a dead board??? I will also say that I check the blue board every day. I may not post much but i read constantly. Thanks and cheers to all the regulars! :frank:

#40 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25638 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

The search function here sucks really really bad. I don't know why, but it does. So telling a n00b to use it guarantees that they will end up going elsewhere for help.What would be better would be to refer them to an FAQ, or even answering their question directly. :frank:

I agree. Any answer that has "you are not as smart I am" implied is a big turn off. PH excepted of course.Google Advanced Search is pretty good.https://www.google.c...ed_search?hl=enEnter www.brews-bros.xyz in the "Search within a site or domain:" option at the bottom.Googkle seems to be very up to date about what is on the brews-bros.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users