#1 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Okay - when the little tiff that blew up into the creation of this board happened, I didn't really get it or (honestly) care, so I continued to check the green board pretty regularly and this one as well.But I have to say that the green board is just dead, dead, dead. Very little posting (2-3 a week?), practically no activity and nothing really new going on there. I don't think this board is as active as the old green board used to be, but it's disappointing. HomebrewTalk is too busy with way too much newbie crap and the same questions over and over again and the BN forum is about the same. Sigh. Need to consolidate and come up with one great, active board.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

Glad you made it over here. We could use a little more activity in the beer forum though. Hang around a whilePosted Image

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

Yep, the only way to get more activity is to spread the word and get more members over here.

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48013 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

WelcomePart of the problem is that experienced brewers don't need to post a lot. The vast majority of post on any forum are going to be newbie posts, and when there just aren't many newbies the number of posts necessarily goes down. I do like to think that the quality of our posts is pretty high, though. Even if we're more about sharing our experiences than asking questions. Signal:Noise is pretty good.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

WelcomePart of the problem is that experienced brewers don't need to post a lot. The vast majority of post on any forum are going to be newbie posts, and when there just aren't many newbies the number of posts necessarily goes down. I do like to think that the quality of our posts is pretty high, though. Even if we're more about sharing our experiences than asking questions. Signal:Noise is pretty good.

Totally. And it also isn't like the experienced brewers here aren't willing to help the newbies, it is just that there needs to be more newbies here to help.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Yep, the only way to get more activity is to spread the word and get more members over here.

That's why I still logon to the GB sometimes. Well, and for a few laughs toohttps://www.brewboar...dpost&p=1395471

#7 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

I hope you stick around and help us grow. :nono: I'm running some ads to get new members in. The growth of the greenboard seemed to be exponential, where it took a long time to get the member count to 1,000, less time to get to 2,000, and then it exploded and went to 10,000. I figure we're almost over the hump.

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

I hope you stick around and help us grow. :nono: I'm running some ads to get new members in. The growth of the greenboard seemed to be exponential, where it took a long time to get the member count to 1,000, less time to get to 2,000, and then it exploded and went to 10,000. I figure we're almost over the hump.

I try all the time to get brewers to check 'us' out. The problem I see is that a lot of people don't want the fuss of on on-line forum. "I don't have time", "I don't want to argue all the time" are the kinds of responses I get. People just aren't used to a friendly online forum. :rolf:

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

I hope you stick around and help us grow. Posted Image I'm running some ads to get new members in. The growth of the greenboard seemed to be exponential, where it took a long time to get the member count to 1,000, less time to get to 2,000, and then it exploded and went to 10,000. I figure we're almost over the hump.

Maybe a newbie or new brewer subforum would be a good idea. I see a lot of "guests" at times. Possibly that would be an incentive to register and post.

#10 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

I am a new brewer, and I appreciate the shared experience talk on this board. On the green board I was always questioning the replies to some of the posts. A poster is on their 10th beer, and they try to come across as an expert. You don't get that over here.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

I am a new brewer, and I appreciate the shared experience talk on this board. On the green board I was always questioning the replies to some of the posts. A poster is on their 10th beer, and they try to come across as an expert. You don't get that over here.

I seldom post after 10 beers.Posted Image Just kidding, ask away when you have questions.

#12 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

I seldom post after 10 beers.Posted Image Just kidding, ask away when you have questions.

I just re-read my post. Half the people on the PH are posting after 10 beers. :nono: I plan on making the move to all grain soon, so you can expect a newb question or two.

#13 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

Welcome aboard! How long ya been brewing? and how long you lived in Portland? :nono:

#14 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Welcome aboard! How long ya been brewing? and how long you lived in Portland? :nono:

About a year brewing and ten years in Portland.

#15 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

:nono: Welcome and cheers to fellow PDX brewers.

#16 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25638 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

The PH over at the board of green is comatose. The beer section is moderately active.This place does not get the regular and predictable newbie questions that are best answered with "Use the search function."Not that it is a bad thing. Newbie questions mean new homebrewers found this is forum and is one of their first places they have registered and posted. I am all for getting our hooks into them from the start.I am pleased with how often and how early this board shows up in a google search.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

I am pleased with how often and how early this board shows up in a google search.

it's certainly getting better on that front! What makes me sad is when I see a post about something on here and I try to google for more info about it and the best link I find is a link to the thread I was just looking at :nono:

#18 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

I try all the time to get brewers to check 'us' out. The problem I see is that a lot of people don't want the fuss of on on-line forum. "I don't have time", "I don't want to argue all the time" are the kinds of responses I get. People just aren't used to a friendly online forum. :rolf:

By all means, send them to the PH...:nono:MolBasser

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

I consider this to be my #1 board. I like the atmosphere here and although I agree that there could be more traffic, I agree with George that our activity is directly related to who is here. I also check my local board a lot which also has a great group of brewers plus I know most of those guys personally which makes it great. Maz & JayB151 are over there too. I do check out BN and also Northern Brewer and there seems to be good traffic on both. I also agree... the GB is dead. Cheers.

#20 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

... I do like to think that the quality of our posts is pretty high, though. Even if we're more about sharing our experiences than asking questions. Signal:Noise is pretty good.

Whew, that's good. Look I've got this question: Is my beer infected? I'll post photos in a separate thread.:facepalm:Just joking, welcome aboard!Personally, I don't think there should be a newbie thread. I like the topic sections just like they are.AHA and TBN come to mind as highly segmented boards. I guess I'm just lazy, but I like seeing it all there in one lump: BEERGoing into extract, then fermentation, then bottling, then all grain, then water analysis...I'll tell ya', it's almost like work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users