#21 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, I've poured as a volunteer at the Ommegang Belgian Beer Fest for the past 3 years (for DFH one year!). At the first year we had the chance to participate in a beer dinner with Randy and all of us volunteers bombarded him with questions. He was pretty candid with his answers. He also indicated that they use many strains and only maintain two house strains. The Witte strain being the first and the Abbey/RareVos/3Phil strain. I also got the impression that the Hennepin was taken from one of the Moortgat Family's other breweries. That's all I've got for that topic however. And ditto to DJ's statement. There are plenty of reports of people making fantastic beer with Ommegang dregs. Go for it, no worries and be sure to report your findings. :cheers:

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:28 AM

Yeah, I've poured as a volunteer at the Ommegang Belgian Beer Fest for the past 3 years (for DFH one year!). At the first year we had the chance to participate in a beer dinner with Randy and all of us volunteers bombarded him with questions. He was pretty candid with his answers. He also indicated that they use many strains and only maintain two house strains. The Witte strain being the first and the Abbey/RareVos/3Phil strain. I also got the impression that the Hennepin was taken from one of the Moortgat Family's other breweries. That's all I've got for that topic however. And ditto to DJ's statement. There are plenty of reports of people making fantastic beer with Ommegang dregs. Go for it, no worries and be sure to report your findings. :nono:

You make a trip to cooperstown from OR to pour beer? Dedication my friend! You've got it!

#23 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

You make a trip to cooperstown from OR to pour beer? Dedication my friend! You've got it!

Hah! :nono: No, I've lived and worked in Upstate NY for most of my life. I only just recently moved to Oregon.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:29 AM

Okay - last night I did my first step. I poured out most of my Rare Vos and put in about 14oz of low gravity starter. I covered the bottle with foil and for a couple of hours swirled it occasionally. This morning there were a few small bubbles but nothing that I would definitely ID as fermentation. Is it possible fermentation happened and I just can't tell? How long should wait before moving onto the next step?ETA: and if I want to decant off the starter wort, should I cold crash it first so that the yeast settles out better?

#25 Calder

Calder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

From a bottle, I would think it would take at least 24 hours and could take up to a week. A lot of it depends on the health of the yeast in the bottle. The older the bottle, the less viable cells there are. On the positive side; it only takes 1 live cell to create a colony, so the odds are in your favor that it will work if you give it time.Yes: If you want to decant the wort, cool first to drop the yeast.

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:27 AM

From a bottle, I would think it would take at least 24 hours and could take up to a week. A lot of it depends on the health of the yeast in the bottle. The older the bottle, the less viable cells there are. On the positive side; it only takes 1 live cell to create a colony, so the odds are in your favor that it will work if you give it time.Yes: If you want to decant the wort, cool first to drop the yeast.

up to a week!! wow!

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:04 AM

So now I'm thinking - how do I know when the yeast has done all it's going to do? I can't readily take a gravity reading...

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

So now I'm thinking - how do I know when the yeast has done all it's going to do? I can't readily take a gravity reading...

eh?

#29 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'd be less concerned with the attenuation of your starter wort (you're going to dump it anyways) and more so with the sediment of fresh yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Remember that yeast cells will reproduce before they ferment, so you don't have to treat a starter like you would a batch of beer and let it finish out. I never let my starters finish to the point of decanting as I'm always adding fresh wort to keep the reproduction process in high gear. Once you get a discernible layer, I'd say that you're ready to step it up to your typical starter flask/growler/vessel and treat it normally.

#30 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

I'd be less concerned with the attenuation of your starter wort (you're going to dump it anyways) and more so with the sediment of fresh yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Remember that yeast cells will reproduce before they ferment, so you don't have to treat a starter like you would a batch of beer and let it finish out. I never let my starters finish to the point of decanting as I'm always adding fresh wort to keep the reproduction process in high gear. Once you get a discernible layer, I'd say that you're ready to step it up to your typical starter flask/growler/vessel and treat it normally.

well - there is break material from the boil there pretty much right off so it's a little tough to tell how much of the stuff at the bottom is yeast.

#31 Calder

Calder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

It's still less than 24 hours. Give it time. There is a lot less yeast in there than in any pack you buy. It should form Kraeusen on the top of the wort in the bottle. If you miss it, it should leave a ring around the bottle about a quarter of an inch above the liquid as evidence that it has worked. Swirling it occasionally will help keep the yeast in suspension and feeding on fresh wort. Relax.I harvested yeast from 3 bottles of Rogue the other week, I think it took a few days to get going. Never really had a lot of activity on the initial pitch, but it did leave evidence because of the ring around the bottle. Remember, you have underpitched big-time with 14 ozs of wort and a small amount of yeast. When I stepped mine up to a bigger starter, it had a really healthy ferment.

#32 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

It's still less than 24 hours. Give it time. There is a lot less yeast in there than in any pack you buy. It should form Kraeusen on the top of the wort in the bottle. If you miss it, it should leave a ring around the bottle about a quarter of an inch above the liquid as evidence that it has worked. Swirling it occasionally will help keep the yeast in suspension and feeding on fresh wort. Relax.I harvested yeast from 3 bottles of Rogue the other week, I think it took a few days to get going. Never really had a lot of activity on the initial pitch, but it did leave evidence because of the ring around the bottle. Remember, you have underpitched big-time with 14 ozs of wort and a small amount of yeast. When I stepped mine up to a bigger starter, it had a really healthy ferment.

roger dodger - this is how everything goes the first time I try it :devil:

#33 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

roger dodger - this is how everything goes the first time I try it :angry:

day 2 - still no significant action that I can see :) :frank:

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:29 AM

day 2 - still no significant action that I can see :) :frank:

okay - maybe there are some more bubbles (I wouldn't really call it foam b/c the bubbles aren't tightly packed enough for me to call it foam) on top now.

#35 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

So still no krausen but it seems possible that one wouldn't really form - I've certainly seen it happen on my stir plate before. Should I make the next step pretty soon?

#36 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

I'd think you are ready for the stir plate. Just make sure your starter's OG isn't too high.

#37 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

I'd think you are ready for the stir plate. Just make sure your starter's OG isn't too high.

standard starter strength is good? 100g of DME/L of H20? I made the starter in the bottle slightly weaker than that.

#38 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

standard starter strength is good? 100g of DME/L of H20? I made the starter in the bottle slightly weaker than that.

I think standard strength would be fine but I typically low ball it until it builds up a bit.

#39 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

I think standard strength would be fine but I typically low ball it until it builds up a bit.

not a bad idea - I'll err on the side of weak when I make my somewhat rough measurements.

#40 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

So I e-mailed the head brewer and he confirmed that the yeast in the bottle is the primary strain. Take note future bottle harvesters. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users