#41 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

Starting with enzymes and the different factors affecting them - pH, temp, mash thickness, etc - sounds good to me.

+1

#42 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

I also want to commend you for taking this on. This is exactly the type of discussion we had "back in the day" that made the BB such a great resource. By doing this, you're helping out the community here a great deal. Hats off. :)

+1I'm finding more reasons to spend time in the beer forum these days, and that sort of thing is a definitely a big draw to me. Definitely, thanks for doing this.

#43 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19172 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

Is this going to be AG only? I was pretty much kidding earlier, but I do think making wort is over emphasized. Probably because it's the sexy part of the process with all the gadgets and muscle.

#44 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Whoa nellie.This is not going to be a "lecture series" with me pontificating from on high, but more of a round table discussion that I am going to steer.Everyone should feel free to comment and ask questions.I'm thinking about starting with malting as this is a very rarely discussed topic other than "I like Maris Otter".BrewBasser

#45 onthekeg

onthekeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSW MN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Heck, we can start with malting if we want to work the process end to end, which might be cool.Malting is a very under discussed topic on homebrew forums.BrewBasser

Mainly because of the whole brewing process, that is the most complicated, crucial and particular piece of the whole puzzle. I would not attempt that in the volume needed for my brewing ever. I have many times, checked germination in a seed variety, but malting in and of itself is a science that makes all you know about brewing and bioscience a drop in the bucket. Malting, is an art, science, and you need good Karma. Not just good, GREAT. It takes a green thumb, proper equipment, dedicated square footage, and lots of energy, (read elec or gas), and attention (read personal energy). :shock:

#46 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

I really like the idea of an in depth monthly topic, and props to Basser for heading it up. Without putting much thought into it, the grain to glass approach seems kind of cool. I'll definitely input what I can.

#47 onthekeg

onthekeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSW MN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

Is this going to be AG only? I was pretty much kidding earlier, but I do think making wort is over emphasized. Probably because it's the sexy part of the process with all the gadgets and muscle.

Actually, I think fermentation is "sexier" than mashing. My mash tun is ignored kicked to the corner and NEVER sanitized. Its lucky if I hose it off the day after I use it. My fermenters on the other hand get coddled, sanitized, temp controlled, and generally cared for.YMMV. :shock:

#48 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:20 PM

Batch vs. fly sparge.Pulls grenadethrows pinruns like hell!boom!&*(%^%%$@_)!@(

#49 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

Batch vs. fly sparge.Pulls grenadethrows pinruns like hell!boom!&*(%^%%$@_)!@(

dude you needed to throw the grenade too, you blowed yourself upBatch Rulzzz!

#50 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25474 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Whoa nellie.This is not going to be a "lecture series" with me pontificating from on high, but more of a round table discussion that I am going to steer.Everyone should feel free to comment and ask questions.BrewBasser

Perhaps I laid down too heavy of a hand. Of course dialog, questions, clarifications are good things.My goal was to avoid getting into debates and going off on tangents. I would like to try to stay focused within the topic.One of my pet peeves is a thread that goes diagonal. Like when some one asks a question about bottling and a nimnod chimes in with "You should keg, that is what I do. It's great!" Or "How does my clone recipe for XYZ beer look?" "Why do you want to clone XYZ beer, it's horrible beer? I hate it."

I'm thinking about starting with malting as this is a very rarely discussed topic other than "I like Maris Otter".BrewBasser

I can get behind that. I think George Fix thought that mashing is really just an extension of the malting process.zymot

#51 LBG Bill

LBG Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

My goal was to avoid getting into debates and going off on tangents. I would like to try to stay focused within the topic.zymot

Brewers? Get off topic? No way. Never happens.I think this would be great. If the TOTM doesn't appeal to you, wait for the next. My brewing knowledge is very high-level. I'm still working on being able to make consistent brew and get my process down. Once I'm comfortable with my process, then I want to get more detailed. Even if the TOTM is ahead of what I want to currently learn about, it will always be there to research and learn later.Would there be a way to standardize the subject line (for searching later on) or create a way to have them all grouped together? Like retire the previous TOTM to the FAQ?Thanks BrewBasser for taking the time to direct the topics.

#52 Alpha Male

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCollinsville Il.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

Have my 3-#2 pencils ready. Jeff

#53 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:54 AM

I'm looking forward to this. I've gotten lazy/jaded about learning more about brewing, and with the new board it's a nice spark to start again.As far as malting goes, it's a logical place to start. What I'm most interested in throughout this tech topic concept is how it applies to homebrewing.

#54 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

could we talk a little bit about mashing non-grain stuff with yer mash?

#55 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

OK.I've decided to start with a grain to glass approach. That means that this month we will start off with grain selection and malting. Imma put together a launch post with a bunch of info that I have on the subject and we will start there. Given that this is supposed to be a specific discussion, I will come in and squelch any thread drift, we will want to stay on topic.I will post up on the first sometime.Good brewing!BrewBAsser

#56 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63973 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

May I humbly suggest that down the line we also include process based topics...equipment and process design for homebrewers.

#57 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

If you are interested in some reading, I recommend 3 books that I used in the Davis program:Brewing, by Lewis and YoungEssays in Brewing Science, by Lewis and BamforthTechnology Brewing and Malting, by KunzeThese will be the texts that I quote from most.BrewBasser

#58 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

May I humbly suggest that down the line we also include process based topics...equipment and process design for homebrewers.

Absolutely. This will be a big part of it.BrewBasser

#59 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

basser, you need to get some letters behind your name or something. BrewBasser, Doctor of Slosh.... or something.

#60 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

If you are interested in some reading, I recommend 3 books that I used in the Davis program:Brewing, by Lewis and YoungEssays in Brewing Science, by Lewis and BamforthTechnology Brewing and Malting, by KunzeThese will be the texts that I quote from most.BrewBasser

Decent previews of 2 of these books available via google books:BrewingEssays in Brewing Science

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users