#21 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19196 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

LOL!FAIL!Back of the class!!!

Hey don't take it out on me brewers are glorified janitors. :)

#22 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:03 PM

Basser,How technical do you want this to become? I am into geekery and mash chemistry is interesting to me.For me, the more technical and detailed, the better.

#23 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hey don't forget about the hopheads....some of us have been known to throw a few hops into the mash from time to time. Surely this cannot be a bad thing, and does not conform to the traditional "crush grain, add hot water, wait, drain" method.

#24 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14953 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Sounds like it'll be interesting, as long as you let us hoi polloi comment and ask questions :).

#25 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

I say two things right now:1. There is no such thing as too technical. I want deep science. If it requires that I read through a several chapters of chem books to get through it, then so be it.2. There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people that ask questions. So any question is worth entertaining.

#26 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14953 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

2. There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people that ask questions.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

#27 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19196 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

and there's no such thing as the answer. Everything is the way it is for a reason, and that reason doesn't always translate directly to home brewing, or even every brewer.

#28 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

This idea sounds like a great thing and there should be lots of things to talk about and learn as well. I am very interested in commercial brewing and always learning more technical things for brewing is awesome as well. I look forward to whatever format this idea will bring and hopefull contribute some as well.

#29 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

and there's no such thing as the answer. Everything is the way it is for a reason, and that reason doesn't always translate directly to home brewing, or even every brewer.

True that. I was trying to explain this to someone with no brewing experience or knowledge. I could you give you everything I have written about my batch, extremely detailed notes. The thing is, that doesn't mean someone can replicate the beer. The first have to be a highly competent brewer (so do I to have worthwhile notes), but even then our equipment and processes are specific to the recipe, not described, and so even someone following it to the letter on their system isn't going to get the exact same results.

This idea sounds like a great thing and there should be lots of things to talk about and learn as well. I am very interested in commercial brewing and always learning more technical things for brewing is awesome as well. I look forward to whatever format this idea will bring and hopefull contribute some as well.

Raise your hand if you've never had a dream about getting paid to brew.

#30 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

no way those guys work waaaay to hard

#31 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:57 AM

From the mashing idea, it sounds like we're really talking about enzymes, which ties pretty good to the malting topic too. I do like the idea of taking topics from the start of the process and working thru it. I'm kinda doing something similar with our BJCP class review....start with malting, water, hops, then moving into process questions (mashing, boiling, break, etc), then after boil issues (yeast, oxygen, fining) and then troubleshooting.

#32 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

The monthly "lesson" is a great idea. I'm a newbie geek who likes to understand the chemistry behind what we do. I will typically read what I can find & then ask the questions when I don't understand something. I look forward to the discussions.

#33 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:05 AM

I'm looking forward to this discussion. I know that with my homebrewing As the years go by, I get more and more set in my methods and routines when I brew. I also know that my methods and routines are based at least partly on "what worked", and maybe are not the technically best ways. I think a good technical breakdown every once in awhile helps to shake up the system, and hopefully make improvements to your brewing. Thanks Basser for doing this! https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

#34 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

I'll be living the dream shortly -- three more days and then I start. https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

no way those guys work waaaay to hard

When you love what you do and do what you love, it's not work. It may be hard, but it's not work. :devil: :)

#35 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

I look forward to it basser. New information or different perspectives on brewing are always welcome with me! Thanks for taking the time to research and share all of this with us.I say start at the beginning at malting and malts and work through to water, mashing, boiling, hops, etc.Awesome! I am excited for this. C-

#36 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:32 AM

GO for it!!What happens in the mashtun does not stay in the mashtun!!IMO; minor variations in the 'tun result in major variations in the final taste.I have seen a lot of info on mashing, bet it was normally slanted to a "tried and true" procedure that the writer favored.Lots of individual questions and answers, lots of conflicting info.It will be great to get one coherent explanation. I know there will be different opinions, but I look forward to a solid base from where I can compare the differences and make informed decisions

#37 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

I nominate pH (as in acid/base) control in the mash.

#38 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

I nominate pH (as in acid/base) control in the mash.

What does the Public House have to do with mashing?

#39 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

From the mashing idea, it sounds like we're really talking about enzymes, which ties pretty good to the malting topic too. I do like the idea of taking topics from the start of the process and working thru it. I'm kinda doing something similar with our BJCP class review....start with malting, water, hops, then moving into process questions (mashing, boiling, break, etc), then after boil issues (yeast, oxygen, fining) and then troubleshooting.

This is what I was thinking too. Basser, I don't know how much you know about malting but if you could start there and discuss what happens inside the kernel during the malting process as a foundation to what happens in the mash. So a class on malting could lead into a class on mashing. If you want to take that all the way and do the brewing process end-to-end, that's up to you but at least I think malting should be a prerequisite for mashing.I also want to commend you for taking this on. This is exactly the type of discussion we had "back in the day" that made the BB such a great resource. By doing this, you're helping out the community here a great deal. Hats off. :)

#40 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47908 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

Starting with enzymes and the different factors affecting them - pH, temp, mash thickness, etc - sounds good to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users