#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48061 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Bought some S-05 and S-04 yesterday for the first time in a while. They're REALLY proud of it now, aren't they?$3.75 for a packet of dried yeast? :frank: They're going to price themselves out of business if they're not careful.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Bought some S-05 and S-04 yesterday for the first time in a while. They're REALLY proud of it now, aren't they?$3.75 for a packet of dried yeast? :frank: They're going to price themselves out of business if they're not careful.

try buying the new prepacked 34/70 holy baby jewbus, $6.00 for 11 grams, that's only half of the dosage you need for a proper 1.050 lager.A tube of WLP 830 and enough DME for a starter is cheaper than the $12 my LHBS wants for 2 packs of dry.

#3 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

Wow, I've used the dry yeasts alot, but recently I've been on a liquid kick so I haven't bought the safale. At four bucks a pack, I might have to stop using the dry. I'll just have to see what they're charging at my LHBS.

#4 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

BmW has S05 for about $2.75.

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Yea the prices have really shot up, but so have the liquid at my LHBS. Sad to say but in comparison, $3.75 is not a bad deal when liquid is ~$6.00 a tube.This is making my yeast ranching efforts seem more and more worth it.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

Yea the prices have really shot up, but so have the liquid at my LHBS. Sad to say but in comparison, $3.75 is not a bad deal when liquid is ~$6.00 a tube.This is making my yeast ranching efforts seem more and more worth it.

$8.95 at my LHBS

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

nottingham is still generally pretty cheap last I checked.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

nottingham is still generally pretty cheap last I checked.

yeah it's still $2.25 I think, and Windsor is cheaper.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

yeah it's still $2.25 I think, and Windsor is cheaper.

even less. this isn't the cheapest I found but the place is local: $1.79

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, I was surprised last time I wanted US-05 at the LHBS. I passed. Ordered some online along with some propagator packs. Ended up costing about 1/2 of what it would have been. And saved a bunch of time. I almost always get the propagators anymore since I'll be making a starter anyway.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

Been a long, long time since I've bought (or even looked at) dry yeast. I remember the fancy stuff being $1.25 and the standard fare $0.90. The liquid stuff was $3.95 at that time, I believe. Now, it's running $6.95 pretty much everywhere around here.Yes, I sure am glad I started slanting. That, plus mashing my starter wort with 2-row I got for $0.50/lb makes raising up little yeasties a very cheap proposition compared to buying.

Edited by JKoravos, 02 May 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

Been a long, long time since I've bought (or even looked at) dry yeast. I remember the fancy stuff being $1.25 and the standard fare $0.90. The liquid stuff was $3.95 at that time, I believe. Now, it's running $6.95 pretty much everywhere around here.Yes, I sure am glad I started slanting. That, plus mashing my starter wort with 2-row I got for $0.50/lb makes raising up little yeasties a very cheap proposition compared to buying.

very compelling argument for keeping a ranch

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

very compelling argument for keeping a ranch

Or at the least, harvesting. I usually will get 40 - 50 gallons from a propagator smack pack. Slurry and Mason Jars are great if you're lazy.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

Or at the least, harvesting. I usually will get 40 - 50 gallons from a propagator smack pack. Slurry and Mason Jars are great if you're lazy.

my LHBS owner gets pissed if you mention you are recycling yeast, I dunno if he thinkspeople are cheating him out of a sale, or if he is being a purist.if I buy liquid it gets used more than once no doubt

#15 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

if I buy liquid it gets used more than once no doubt

+1 I usually get 4-5 batches out of one pack with no problems...

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:06 AM

my LHBS owner gets pissed if you mention you are recycling yeast,

mine too. he told my wife (who was picking my yeast up for me) that saving yeast wasn't a good idea but didn't give a reason why. I kind of wish I had been there so I could call him on just wanting more of my hard earned cash. what he doesn't realize is that it's not just that I'm trying to save money, I'm trying to save time. Going to the HBS every couple of weeks when I'm in brew mode would be a serious PITA.

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48061 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:19 AM

my LHBS owner gets pissed if you mention you are recycling yeast, I dunno if he thinkspeople are cheating him out of a sale, or if he is being a purist.if I buy liquid it gets used more than once no doubt

mine too. he told my wife (who was picking my yeast up for me) that saving yeast wasn't a good idea but didn't give a reason why. I kind of wish I had been there so I could call him on just wanting more of my hard earned cash. what he doesn't realize is that it's not just that I'm trying to save money, I'm trying to save time. Going to the HBS every couple of weeks when I'm in brew mode would be a serious PITA.

That would tick me off so much that I would probably find another LHBS or start ordering online. I'm all for supporting the local place, but when good advice comes secondary to making money they lose my respect. What's he going to say next, "Don't make starters, buy two packs of yeast instead?" :angry:

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

That would tick me off so much that I would probably find another LHBS or start ordering online. I'm all for supporting the local place, but when good advice comes secondary to making money they lose my respect. What's he going to say next, "Don't make starters, buy two packs of yeast instead?" :angry:

yeah - I haven't been back to that place since. There is another place near my wife's work so I have her pick up my stuff there sometimes. It's actually that place I linked to the dry yeast above. Some of the people working in the store don't seem that knowledgeable but based on reports from other people they seem friendly enough and the prices aren't too bad.

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

I have access to two LHBS. I started getting leary of one of them when he dissed my practice of re-using yeast. He DID feel like it was cheating him out of a sale. The other one laughed when I told him this and said that he routinely talks to his customers about it and encourages it. I've heard rumor the first one is going out of business. I have used the US-05 on consecutive batches. That would at least drive the cost down.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

I have access to two LHBS. I started getting leary of one of them when he dissed my practice of re-using yeast. He DID feel like it was cheating him out of a sale. The other one laughed when I told him this and said that he routinely talks to his customers about it and encourages it. I've heard rumor the first one is going out of business. I have used the US-05 on consecutive batches. That would at least drive the cost down.

If these guys were smart, not only would they be encouraging it, they'd be stocking supplies to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users