- - - - -

Dry Yeast Varieties

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

Any clarity or stubborn flocc. issues w/US05. I get it and thats a complaint of mine.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Any clarity or stubborn flocc. issues w/US05. I get it and thats a complaint of mine.

that's my one issue with it, other than that I like it fine. Stubborn Flocc.

#23 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

This is the only dry yeast I've used since I started brewing again. Any dry yeast that works halfway decent is better than what we had when Andy was still in high school ;) I really haven't noted any big clarity/floc problems with it. And I've used it a lot lately for some drop of the hat brew sessions. I'll try to re-evaluate because a few are waiting to be tapped.Anyway, next time I do use US-05 I plan to ferment mid 60's to see if it will throw a little interesting stuff, I'm usually around 60 - 62df with it.

#24 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

I have used Windsor and that just doesn't have a high level of attenuation, so use it on a mild, nor does it floculate very well. It seems like I use dry yeast exclusively, and endorse s04, s05, and Nottingham (it is tart). I have even started using s04 with American hops, makes for a interesting APA.

#25 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

I'm basically 100% dry.US-05 in APA and IPA. S-04 for all kinds of English, including browns, porters and Brit summer goldens.Nottingham for American wheats (only).S-189 for lagers. (I bought a brick.)T-58 is pretty good for wits, though I don't use it often.However, I was very disappointed last week with Danstar Munich. It is nothing like a weizen yeast.

#26 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

Anyway, next time I do use US-05 I plan to ferment mid 60's to see if it will throw a little interesting stuff, I'm usually around 60 - 62df with it.

Stangbat and I have been emailing back and forth about using US05 for Alts. My concern is getting it to ferment strong at 60* and of course getting it to clear. My other concern about that is a crisp and clean Alt using it. Stangbat is gonna give it a try. I just wont budge from 1007 w/my Alts, but im getting lazy in my old high school days and 20+g batches is the way im headed. And not having to step 1007 forever and a day using US05 if its crisp and clean, might just work??

S-189 for lagers

Talk to me. Again, im stuck using Bohemian Pilsner liquid yeast 2124 on my Pilsners. How does this fare flavor wise? Crisp, clean and strong at 50*?

Edited by Blktre, 28 April 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#27 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:07 AM

S-189 for lagers. (I bought a brick.)

I'd also be interested in hearing a review of this. How many 5 gallon batches can you make with a brick? How long is the yeast good for once you crack the brick open?

#28 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

I'd also be interested in hearing a review of this. How many 5 gallon batches can you make with a brick? How long is the yeast good for once you crack the brick open?

I bought a brick on the late part of 07 and with an expiry date of Feb 08 am still using it from time to time.I keep it frozen in the deep fridge. I use 40g of it per batch now due to viability issues ( I think )So 500g and initially use 15g per batch. and now 40g. I'm down to 40g left, but I have been using a varietyof yeasts in the meantime.US-05, S-04 are my dry standby yeast with the S-189 being changed to 34/70 for the time being.

#29 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

I bought a brick on the late part of 07 and with an expiry date of Feb 08 am still using it from time to time.I keep it frozen in the deep fridge. I use 40g of it per batch now due to viability issues ( I think )So 500g and initially use 15g per batch. and now 40g. I'm down to 40g left, but I have been using a varietyof yeasts in the meantime.US-05, S-04 are my dry standby yeast with the S-189 being changed to 34/70 for the time being.

How do you guys break up a brick and measure out amounts without contaminating the yeast?

#30 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:49 AM

How do you guys break up a brick and measure out amounts without contaminating the yeast?

I used a vac sealer, and didn't go crazy over sanitation. Look, one of the big reasons for using dry is the ease of a big pitch. Big pitches automatically suppress competing microbes. I pitch about 25 grams each time (5 gal), so the brick would make 20 batches. I split the brick with a few people, and AFAIK nobody has had an infection from it.

#31 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:52 AM

I used a vac sealer, and didn't go crazy over sanitation. Look, one of the big reasons for using dry is the ease of a big pitch. Big pitches automatically suppress competing microbes. I pitch about 25 grams each time (5 gal), so the brick would make 20 batches. I split the brick with a few people, and AFAIK nobody has had an infection from it.

Makes sense - I'm a little crazy with my sanitation sometimes ;) What lagers do you use this for? I've only made one lager so far that I haven't actually tried yet but I think I would like to make at least a couple a year just for variety.

#32 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:53 AM

Stangbat and I have been emailing back and forth about using US05 for Alts. ...........

I won't be trying that again. Not a disaster but dissappointing.

#33 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

I won't be trying that again. Not a disaster but dissappointing.

Can you remember any specifics as to any differences/problems?I was thinking about it because Fermentis says US-05 is good down to 59º. The alt I have on tap now used K-97 and I had problems getting it to start and I pitched a pack of US-05 to get it going and it finished up nice. I don't think it tastes a lot different than the last batch that was made with 1007, but I'm not sure how much flavor I can contribute to the K-97 vs. the US-05 since it was a mixture of both.I want to give K-97 another try, but I'm leery after this current batch of alt. I'm pretty sure that the problem was the batch of yeast and probably also how I treated it after pitching. But I'm still gun shy.Like blktre, I'm getting lazy and I've had good results (IMHO) with dry yeast. My last 5 batches have been with dry and I think they are as good as anything I've brewed. Since I'm now brewing 10g at a time, it is nice to be able to pitch a couple of packs and be done vs. having to step up a starter.

#34 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

Can you remember any specifics as to any differences/problems?.........

It seemed to be missing the little bit of fruitiness that 1007 can throw. That's my guess, it just wasn't the same.

#35 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

It seemed to be missing the little bit of fruitiness that 1007 can throw. That's my guess, it just wasn't the same.

Hmmmm, i get very little esters w/1007 at 60*. So id think the US05 being more neutral would work fine. Not sure what im doing different.

#36 JimInNJ

JimInNJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

No need to buy S-189 by the brick: https://www.american...roducts_id=2349I split a batch of Vienna Lager with S-189 and W-34/70 side by side and hope to report on the results after this weekend.- Jim

#37 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14977 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

US-05 is my house yeast. I use it in most things that I brew.

#38 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

I'm a big fan of US-05 when it comes to American styles (except wheat). A few years ago I used Nottingham on a few batches but I lost my records in a computer crash so I may need to revisit that yeast again.

#39 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

No need to buy S-189 by the brick: https://www.american...roducts_id=2349I split a batch of Vienna Lager with S-189 and W-34/70 side by side and hope to report on the results after this weekend.- Jim

Back then I couldn't buy it like that, but had to buy a brick. I am with Brewergeorge. I vac sealed and didn't worry much.Never had any problems. Our club, Members of Barleyment, does bulk buys of yeast also and splits it up, vacuum sealing it. I have an order for150g of 34/70 in now pending delivery.

#40 *_Guest_Milf Man_*

*_Guest_Milf Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

I absolutely LOVE SA05.It has almost become my house yeast for any Ale, PA, IPA (although I will often split batches and pitch 2 different yeasts), Dry Stouts, Light Stouts and oddly enough to me, Blond Ales, which come out amazingly lager-like.The ability to pitch BIG, with a quick start and nice clean fermentation at 60 - 61 degrees with decent floc and terrific attenuation, it is almost a no brainer. I often have 20 - 25 gallon brew days, the ability to just pitch and not have to worry about making enormous starters is just one less hassle I am happy to not have.Cheers,MILF Man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users