39 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

I've used:Fermentis S-04 - I really like this for English style beers, clears up nice and leaves some fruitinessFermentis US-05 - in a dry stout but I haven't had it yet so not sure on this oneDanstar Nottingham - a good all around yeast, my favorite beers with this one have been stouts and porters but I think it would work pretty well for anything that you wanted to end up pretty clean in the yeast dept but not completely boring, also a solid floccer

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

T-58 is really good for wit and not bad for tripel.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

What's your favorite commercially brewed wit? I'm not sure I've ever had this style...

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

What's your favorite commercially brewed wit? I'm not sure I've ever had this style...

Mine is hoegarrden

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

Mine is hoegarrden

It's the classic!

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

Mine is hoegarrden

Well I guess I'll have to try this sometime - I see it at a lot of places so it shouldn't be hard to do...

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

Well I guess I'll have to try this sometime - I see it at a lot of places so it shouldn't be hard to do...

Yea....pretty sure it's an InBev Product now so you should be able to get it a lot of places...it is sometimes expensive however and it is in 11.2 ounce bottles...Sunshine Wheat (New Belgium) is a good Americanized version of a Wit

#8 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'm doing a side by side with t58 and 3333. I just did half and half wheat and munich with hallertau. I also brewed the all munich IPA yesterday. I tasted great out of the boiler, so I can't wait to try it. I decided to go with nottingham because I'm low on liquid yeast.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

I'm doing a side by side with t58 and 3333. I just did half and half wheat and munich with hallertau. I also brewed the all munich IPA yesterday. I tasted great out of the boiler, so I can't wait to try it. I decided to go with nottingham because I'm low on liquid yeast.

Interesting - I'd love to hear about the results of the side by side.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Not being much of a wheat beer guy, I'm not real familiar with 3333, but it sounds like it's a hef yeast. If so, T-58 is a lot different to my tastes.

#11 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

I love US-05 and use it in a lot of different styles (but primarily American PAs, IPAs, ambers, and wheats).I know it's quite popular, but I'm not a fan of Nottingham anymore... I get a tartness that I just don't like.Danstar Munich Wheat didn't do anything for me - definitely nothing resembling a classic weizen (no clove or banana).I used T-58 a couple times. It makes some passable Belgian styles, but it threw a little too much clove for my palate. I think it's a good yeast, I just didn't dig the clove.S-33 (supposed to be the old Edme strain - it is NOT Belgian in nature as Fermentis suggests) makes some nice British/American style ales.

#12 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

Nottingham, my first in dry yeast. Would like to hear about Coopers.

#13 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

The ones I've used more than once or twice are:Nottingham - It's a good, clean, high attenuation, high flocc yeast to use on almost any style.US-05 - It's a great one to use for American pale ales and IPAs, as long as you account for its high attenuation, and mash high or add extra caramel malt so a bit of flavor is left in the end. Also, you need to give this one plenty of time, because it tends to ferment slow sometimes, and floccs very slowly.Coopers - Can give nice results in an English bitter or pale ale. Some pleasant fruitiness.

#14 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25387 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:35 AM

I like s-04 and nottingham, and us-05. I wish there were a good dry yeast to make a german or bohemian pilsner.

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

I use US 05 on a regular basis. Have used Nottingham as well. No qualms with either.

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

anyone use Windsor?

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

I like s-04 and nottingham, and us-05. I wish there were a good dry yeast to make a german or bohemian pilsner.

34/70 or S-189. S-189 is a bit on the malty side....great for bock, maibock, etc., but I've made some great pils with it, too.

#18 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

anyone use Windsor?

I've used Windsor and it contributes some nice flavors. It's just that the attenuation is way too low for my taste. If ever try it again, I'll mash low and keep the caramel to a minimum to keep it from being too sweet.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

The only dry yeast I have used this year is US-05. Used it about 4 5 times. PA, IPA, even a Dry Stout. Attenuation was great and I have been pleased with the flavors from it as well.

#20 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

I had great results with Brewferm Blanche in a wit, and liked it better then t-58...it was little less rough around the edges IMO.

Edited by ewanzel, 28 April 2009 - 09:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users