#41 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

:smilielol: The Scottish is a nice easy drinking low ABV beer. But the others... whatch out! :D

yep forgot about the Scottish before I reread your message saying what the caps meant...brewing up today might have to go dor the Belgian..

#42 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

I got Jay's beers today (actually friday, but I didnt know they were there until today) and cannot wait to tear into them, he gave me quite a generous package, plus a Great Lakes impy IPA and a Bell's stout, neither of which I can get here on the coast which is east. Thanks again Jay! :stabby: :devil:

#43 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Glad you like it! Look out for that Great Lakes...It's not quite as aromatic and flavorful as their "Burning River" Pale ale, but that IIPA packs a punch!

#44 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Great to hear Thirsty! Congrats to Poohbah, you're gonna be getting some good stuff!

This. Especially if he sent the sour saison he made from my bug culture... Phenominal beer!

#45 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

This. Especially if he sent the sour saison he made from my bug culture... Phenominal beer!

Thanks for the accolades Eric, I am pretty sure I did send him a saison, I hope the poobah is into the sours, we'll see what a seperate opinion has!

#46 Poobah58

Poobah58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew Milford, CT

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Thirsty, as a matter of fact I had the Saison tonite. VERY enjoyable. I was going to ask if the sour twang was intentional. Wasn't sure if it was acid malt or Brett. Detected some ginger but not as much as the Liquid Stupid. Nice job!

#47 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

Thirsty, as a matter of fact I had the Saison tonite. VERY enjoyable. I was going to ask if the sour twang was intentional. Wasn't sure if it was acid malt or Brett. Detected some ginger but not as much as the Liquid Stupid. Nice job!

Yes the souring was on purpose, and it is quite a blend of dregs that EWW was nice enough to barter with me to obtain. The culture contained a s-load of dregs, but some notables I believe were Duvel, ommegang, rodenbach, and some other greats. BTW I have had most of the enormously generous package jayb has sent me, and that dude is brewing some great stuff! I still have one more to try, but so far his recipes are stellar, and his balance for the profiles are spot on. I really hope we can keep this pass going with frequency, and a good amount of participants, there is so much influence when receiving variety, jayb has got me thinking about a rauch now that I had his cherrywood smoked! :D

#48 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

Geez Thirsty! You're giving me a big head here! Everyone I gave that to really liked that smoked bitter...I thought it was a touch too smoky but still really good!

#49 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

I thought it was a touch too smoky but still really good!

The first time I judged the category, I had what I thought was a really nice beer, with a noticable but not overbearing smokiness. I didnt really detect any off flavors, and I thought the beer was a mid 30's beer from reading the style. The other 2 judges I was with scored it like 10 points less, and said there was way too little smoke. That inspired me to get a shlenkerla rauch marzen. and I realized then what they meant- beef jerky smoke. So after that I got a new appreciation for extremism in beer, and if the world class example tastes like teriyaki jerkey, then I say it is tough to be "too smoky". yours was delicious.

#50 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

... if the world class example tastes like teriyaki jerkey, then I say it is tough to be "too smoky". yours was delicious.

HAHA! Thanks Thirsty!

#51 Poobah58

Poobah58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew Milford, CT

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hey Thirsty... Loved the Belgian Blonde! :cheers:

#52 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hey Thirsty... Loved the Belgian Blonde! :unsure:

Thanks! I shared a couple up at the lake this weekend and it was well received.

#53 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

I know, I am super late, I will be sending out Chef Lamont's tomorrow....

#54 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

That's ok, I still haven't even heard from my sender. I just assume he's a flake.

#55 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

That's ok, I still haven't even heard from my sender. I just assume he's a flake.

I was your sender's sender. I never even heard whether he got it.

#56 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

Got mine today at the new house as planned. Woohooo I cant find squat in this mass of boxes, but I know this box is filled with good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users